Join Early Retirement Today

paid off mortgage yesterday
Old 10-21-2016, 07:45 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

paid off mortgage yesterday

Hello again everyone. I don't stop by often, so it's been awhile since I last posted.

I enjoy reading progress made by others on their ER journey. As a way to encourage others, I would like to share my own progress. I paid off my mortgage yesterday. I've been pre-paying since day one. It took me 12 years to pay off my 15 years mortgage.

I won't get into the intellectual discussion on the merits of paying off a mortgage vs. investing, but not being in debt feels pretty darn good.

So for those still chipping away, go get'em! We'll wait for you here.
are_we_there_yet? is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2016, 07:49 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

l Yay!
Old 10-21-2016, 08:06 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of the best feelings ever is to be debt free! Enjoy...
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:45 AM   #4

Congrats!

(DW convinced me to refinance instead of paying off immediately; thus, we will soon be making our first payment on a new 15 year mtg--but don't know how long we'll keep it. The concept of no long-term debt is attractive, no doubt!)
Old 10-21-2016, 08:47 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats! That was a great feeling for us also.
whatnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:56 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
One of the best feelings ever is to be debt free! Enjoy...
I consider myself to be debt free, even though I have a mortgage. I can pay it off whenever I feel like it. It's just a different asset allocation, arbing the mortgage to reallocate money out of equity into equities. Fungibility rules.

Still, for those who feel differently, paying it off is great! Congratulations.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:57 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Congratulations. We are just beginning to pursue the same goal, can't wait.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:47 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by are_we_there_yet? View Post
Hello again everyone. I don't stop by often, so it's been awhile since I last posted.

I enjoy reading progress made by others on their ER journey. As a way to encourage others, I would like to share my own progress. I paid off my mortgage yesterday. I've been pre-paying since day one. It took me 12 years to pay off my 15 years mortgage.

I won't get into the intellectual discussion on the merits of paying off a mortgage vs. investing, but not being in debt feels pretty darn good.

So for those still chipping away, go get'em! We'll wait for you here.
Congratulations!!! That is a big accomplishment. It feels so good to make a plan, do what is necessary, and then watch that plan fall into place. In my experience, being truly, 100% debt free is an amazing, wonderful feeling that no amount of wishful thinking or rationalization can mimic. It's a happy day for you.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:53 AM   #9

Congrats
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:05 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I consider myself to be debt free, even though I have a mortgage. I can pay it off whenever I feel like it. It's just a different asset allocation, arbing the mortgage to reallocate money out of equity into equities. Fungibility rules.

Yes, we consider we now have an allocation in real estate with the house paid off. Interesting re debt free--I never thought of it this way. Does that apply to all obligations as long as one can pay them off whenever one feels like it? We are planning to buy a car soon and may or may not finance it, but it will sure feel like a debt to me if we do take out a loan.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:14 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Best thing we ever did... Congratulations....
Old 10-21-2016, 10:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post

A reasonable approach as long as you treat the mortgage as an offset to your FI AA? You should if you want to maintain your AA. If you do, you should really view the mortgage funding cost against your FI returns. Maybe not as good a spread as you previously thought?
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:33 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
A reasonable approach but do you treat the mortgage as an offset to your FI AA? You should if you want to maintain your AA. If you do, you should really view the mortgage funding cost against your FI returns. Maybe not as good a spread as you previously thought?
Agreed. I will be paying mine off when I no longer get a tax benefit, since I still w*rk. In this low-rate environment, the guaranteed return will be pretty attractive at that point.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:43 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for sharing.

As much as I come here to gather information and learn, I also come here daily for motivation and to read about others in the same situation.

I'm in the debt aversion camp as well, just going about my mortgage payoff a bit differently.
Cassius King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:56 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

We paid off our mortgage in 2010 and have had no regrets and sleep better at night debt free. Those who choose to have a mortgage are leveraging their investments assuming they will make a profit. It's a matter of risk tolerance and our choice was to keep a roof over our heads in case the market tanks.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:02 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations!

Now just remember to keep an eye out for the property tax obligations...
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:40 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
Congratulations!

Now just remember to keep an eye out for the property tax obligations...
+1.

True, Unlike a coffee pot that you buy and own outright. A property, due to taxes is always never paid in full.

However, we have been debt free for well over a decade, it feels good, even if we have paid over $50,000 in property taxes during that time.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:48 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
+1.

True, Unlike a coffee pot that you buy and own outright. A property, due to taxes is always never paid in full.

However, we have been debt free for well over a decade, it feels good, even if we have paid over $50,000 in property taxes during that time.
The joke around here is that you never really own your home, you're just renting it from the county tax office.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:37 PM   #19

Well done. I also greatly enjoyed paying off my mortgage. The added cash flow has been great.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:49 PM   #20

Congratulations, it is always a good feeling to eliminate debt. The financial aspects of whether to do it vs other investing of that money is a personal decision and choice. However the peace of mind factor having a fully paid for house is definitely worth something in the long term.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote