Join Early Retirement Today

Paid Off My Mortgage this week!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Paid Off My Mortgage this week!

I try and keep pretty low profile about my finances with friends and family as I have been saving money and living well below my means for 20 years but....I thought I could announce on here ---- I paid off my mortgage!

Interesting feeling actually owning the house outright. Also with it being such a large swing in assets ($500k out of the portfolio), still taking some time to adjust to my new investment balance.

Here's to the real estate market continuing an uphill climb (clink)!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Woohoo! Congratulations, that is awesome. I'm just started saving, and haven't even thought about buying a house yet, but seeing so many people here pay off their mortgages and finally get over that hump is inspiring and really takes some of the fear out of going into the process one day.

Enjoy being mortgage free!

Old 04-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
Administrator

Outstanding! I think it feels wonderful to make a goal, work hard toward it, and finally... achieve it!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats!! Isn't it a great feeling?

We paid off house #1 in '96 and house #2 in 2000. Now we're in house #3 and we have enough set aside to pay it off, but with such historically low rates, we've decided to hold off. The feeling isn't quite the same.

Good for you.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #6

I'm hoping to join you in the mortgage free club in Jan next year. In the meantime we've been paying close to triple payments... so the lump sum won't be quite so significant.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well done! Now you have to make sure you invest the money that would have gone on the mortgage in a sensible way. I just increased my automatic investments and have seen my portfolio jump in value over the last year, partly due to the run up in the stock market, but a lot from just increased saving.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #8

Congrats -- I recall the feeling well -- catharsis (and thinking about the extra money that will become available for saving/investing)!

If I may make a suggestion, how would you feel about 1 more mortgage payment -- not to go to the bank, but to celebrate -- a short trip/getaway, a big party, a new toy or two... Something to reward yourself/ves.

Some folks have a mortgage burning ceremony/party (after they've recorded the satisfaction papers, of course), and it doesn't have to be the original mortgage (if ill-advised by your atty or advisor) -- a copy will do!

Tyro
Old 04-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats!

I think the emotional benefit of owning your primary residence outright is well worth it. It's a personal choice (write-off vs debt) and I like you're choice!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #10

Feel the power!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #11

Awesome! It was a great feeling. And the people at the court house (where I picked up my deed) were awesome, giving me high fives and huge congratulations too.

We really started saving once we got that monkey off our back.

Keep in mind, though, that you can be "outted" on your financial success. It happened with my friends when they asked "what's your mortgage rate?" I blew it and said "what mortgage", and of course this lead to all sorts of other discussion I did not want. So, think about what story you'll give them when it comes. If I had to do it all over again, I'd say, "I forgot, I'll have to check it."
Old 04-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #12

Congratulations on reaching that milestone! What a wonderful feeling. Splurge a little and buy yourself a small reward!

For the past several years I have been making extra principal payments, and I was right on track to have the mortage paid off in the next 36 months. Plan A was working great. Then a couple of months ago my employer announced that they were going to start "eliminating jobs" this summer - without specifying which ones. Still TBD.

So, now all the extra payments are going straight into savings instead of into the mortgage. It's very hard to let go of the 36-month dream, BUT you can't eat equity, so into savings it goes for now until we see how things shake out around here.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #13

Congratulations! I have a year and a half to go myself and am counting down the months!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations! I remember very well what a great feeling it was when we finally paid off our mortgage, it's wonderful! I wasn't even paying attention to where we stood, DW (our accountant) just informed me one month that 'this is our last mortgage payment." YIPEE

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #15

Congratulations! At one point you were talking of moving to another city in anticipation of ER did you do so? If so what city did you ultimately choose?
Old 04-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #16

Some might say paying off a mortgage is like smoking: it's expensive, but feels good.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #17

Congratulations!
Old 04-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #18

Congrats, Shabby. You'll sleep like a baby tonight-no worries.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #19

Not too shabby, Shabby!

In the mid-1990s, I paid off large chunks of my mortgage using gains from the rising stock market, finally paying it off completely in 1998, only 9 years into it, just after I turned 35. The stock market was rising so fast back then that I quickly recovered the funds I used to pay the loan off.

Two big things happened as a result of this move. The first was that my savings rate zoomed upward, to over 50%, for the next few years. I was still working full-time back then and for the few years which followed. The second was that greatly lowering my expenses enabled me to switch to working part-time a few years later, another big step toward my eventual ER.

I hope you can match at least on of those things.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Congrats!
Old 04-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats!

Congrats! We did ours a few years ago. Nothing like being debt free. I wish I'd done it years and years ago.