Join Early Retirement Today

Passive income = the best
Old 06-19-2018, 08:16 PM   #1
gone traveling

Passive income = the best

Getting ready to leave for 104 days in Asia soon and getting my finances in order, I’ll be collecting over $16k in rents while sipping on whatever they drink out there I hear Vietnam has some bangin coffee
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2018, 08:27 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

retired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:55 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Who's minding the store while you are gone? Will your tenants call you on your cell phone in Saigon to tell you the upstairs toilet is leaking? Who will you call if there's a major problem? Are you sure you can trust that AC guy if he tells you that the unit is shot?

After decades of land-lording, my conclusion is that it is not passive income. Hope you have a pleasant and uneventful trip...
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:16 PM   #4
gone traveling

Nope, nope, Nadia, nope, your conclusions are inconclusive, haven’t had that issue in a long while, now that you got me thinking about it... a $4000 renovation 9 months ago and prior to that a new ac unit for $2800 around 5 years ago. I haven’t stepped foot anywhere near my properties in a couple of years. After almost a decade of landlording things couldn’t be smoother
Old 06-19-2018, 09:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
Nope, nope, Nadia, nope, your conclusions are inconclusive, haven’t had that issue in a long while, now that you got me thinking about it... a $4000 renovation 9 months ago and prior to that a new ac unit for $2800 around 5 years ago. I haven’t stepped foot anywhere near my properties in a couple of years. After almost a decade of landlording things couldn’t be smoother
You are soooooo jinxing yourself!
Old 06-19-2018, 09:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Getting ready to leave for 104 days in Asia soon and getting my finances in order, I’ll be collecting over $16k in rents while sipping on whatever they drink out there I hear Vietnam has some bangin coffee
You mean Ca Phe right? It is good. I prefer the bia. $16K will go a long way in Vietnam, Thailand and other neighboring countries. We were there in 2009. Enjoy!
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:42 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
You are soooooo jinxing yourself!

Nope...

I’ve heard all the landlording horror stories and have witnessed and personally lived through a few but the wealth building capabilities that I’ve witnessed with real estate far outweighs any of these catastrophes. Right now my brother is rehabbing a property that the tenants left in shambles, $20k to get it back in order and rentable.. but on the flip side, the tenants have been there 12 years and have paid over $175k in rents during that time. The 20k cost of rehabbing comes back to your pocket on the tax return
Old 06-19-2018, 10:16 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Charmed life
Free bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:25 AM   #9

Humblebrag
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:23 AM   #10

Quote:
I’ve heard all the landlording horror stories and have witnessed and personally lived through a few but the wealth building capabilities that I’ve witnessed with real estate far outweighs any of these catastrophes. Right now my brother is rehabbing a property that the tenants left in shambles, $20k to get it back in order and rentable.. but on the flip side, the tenants have been there 12 years and have paid over $175k in rents during that time. The 20k cost of rehabbing comes back to your pocket on the tax return
Well a fraction of it does -- unless there is a tax credit that you are referencing that I am unaware of.

-gauss
a newly minted landlord
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhole View Post
Humblebrag

humble?
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:41 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I love my passive income from OPM.

When did we start "sipping on" drinks, instead of just sipping them?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:54 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

My wife's uncle went on an extended trip and came back to find all his guns were stolen.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:03 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.....I’ve heard all the landlording horror stories and have witnessed and personally lived through a few but the wealth building capabilities that I’ve witnessed with real estate far outweighs any of these catastrophes. Right now my brother is rehabbing a property that the tenants left in shambles, $20k to get it back in order and rentable.. but on the flip side, the tenants have been there 12 years and have paid over $175k in rents during that time. The 20k cost of rehabbing comes back to your pocket on the tax return
Lucrative yes.... passive... not so much.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:27 AM   #15

Residential rental real estate is not what I'd consider passive, either.

As a former member here demonstrated, the best returns on the above come from doing all the work yourself (demo, roughing in plumbing/electrical, screening tenants & collecting payments, etc.)

Paying a management company usually cuts into the returns enough that you might as well just put the money in a stock/bond portfolio instead.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:35 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Dividends and interest are also passive income.

They just magically show up every month in my account.

While I'm sipping (on) a drink.

Wherever I might be.

Once or twice a year I get un-passive and review my results and consider changes. After that, I return to being passive. As does my income.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:44 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Naw - its as passive as can be. I remember the time we were literally on the beach in Sayulita after losing my wallet when I handled getting an old failed main sewer line replaced at a triplex. Thank you memorized phone contacts. Very cool to be able to do that while being a real drag that I was doing it WHILE ON THE BEACH in Mexico.

Then there was the frozen up laundry room I found out about at a stop flying back from Boston. Gave instructions for getting the thawing started and then got the news about the flooding from the broken pipes when we got into Portland.

Passive as hell.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Dividends and interest are also passive income.

They just magically show up every month in my account.

While I'm sipping (on) a drink.

Wherever I might be.

Once or twice a year I get un-passive and review my results and consider changes. After that, I return to being passive. As does my income.
I'm with you on this one.

But they are not entirely passive. I do have to click a few times to see them and move them around .
Old 06-20-2018, 09:10 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Naw - its as passive as can be. I remember the time we were literally on the beach in Sayulita after losing my wallet when I handled getting an old failed main sewer line replaced at a triplex. Thank you memorized phone contacts. Very cool to be able to do that while being a real drag that I was doing it WHILE ON THE BEACH in Mexico.

Then there was the frozen up laundry room I found out about at a stop flying back from Boston. Gave instructions for getting the thawing started and then got the news about the flooding from the broken pipes when we got into Portland.

Passive as hell.
Passive is doing next to nothing... not spending time on the phone fielding call about problems from tenants and co-ordinating repair work with contractors.... not as passive a stocks and bonds using index funds... rebalancing once a year (or even less) so an hour a year... it doesn't get more passive than that... no tenants or failed sewer pipes or frozen pipes to deal with.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:10 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post

But they are not entirely passive. I do have to click a few times to see them and move them around .
Right. It can be a workout! Gotta watch for that carpal tunnel syndrome!