Join Early Retirement Today

Patriot act and on-line savings- where are my rights???
Old 02-01-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Patriot act and on-line savings- where are my rights???

Here's the deal.
Retired in 2010.
Sold our house up north in December.
We are now staying with family in Florida until we select a town to settle in.
I have hundreds of thousands in my bank account since my house sale.
Credit rating is around 800.
14 years at last address. 33 years employment at one fortune 500 company.

Here is the policy statement at PREVENTS me from opening and on-line account.

Important information about procedures for opening a new account. To help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, federal law requires that all financial institutions obtain, verify and record information that identifies each person who opens an account. When you open an account, we will ask for your name, street address (a post office box may not be used), date of birth, and other information that will allow us to identify you. A Tax Identification Number is also required to open the account. We may also require additional proof of identity, such as a driver’s license.
--------------------

While Im using my Moms address this does not satisfy the above policy.
I have no utility bills in my name assigned to the address. It is not a permanent address.

OMG- IM UNABLE TO OPEN an account without telling some fibs.

How can this possibly be? Our system is going insane when rules aimed at thwarting money launderers, terorrists and tax cheats prevents someone in my situation from participating in high yield on-line sanings accounts. All I want to do is park my home equity funds until I buy a house. This has me steaming.

Any ideas?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2011, 07:50 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken11 View Post
Any ideas?
Many folks who RV full time and live on the road must have the same issue. Check one of their clubs such as Escapees.com to see how they do it.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You are staying at your Mom's. That is your street address. Why can't you use that? It's "permanent" until you find your new place. Perfectly valid for getting a driver's license, etc.

Audrey
Old 02-01-2011, 07:51 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.............OMG- IM UNABLE TO OPEN an account without telling some fibs.............Any ideas?
Yes. Lie. They will never prosecute you.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:27 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I explained my situation to the banks on the phone and they all turned me down.
Without utility bills in my name (or similar items) they dont consider my moms address to be a permanent one for me.
So some lying is necessary. - However, absent the type of documentation they re seeking this may not be sufficient to satisfy the banks.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What address do you use for your drivers license? You should keep that address up to date. (Or ID card if you have no drivers license) Otherwise its just the screwed up banks. Like one credit union that wanted names of folks they could call if they could not contact me.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:38 AM   #7

Thinking a bit further, with a FL drivers license, then you would also have established residency for tax purposes, and since Florida has no state income tax save that way.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:00 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Get a Florida driver's license and use that.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Sorry about your troubles. I'm interested in this part:

Quote:
Here's the deal.
Our system is going insane when rules aimed at thwarting money launderers, terorrists and tax cheats prevents someone in my situation from participating in high yield on-line sanings accounts.
High yield? Everything is relative, but I haven't seen a high-yield savings account in a long time. I guess 1.4% is better than 0.4%, and if we're parking a lot of money that adds up, but . . .
Old 02-01-2011, 09:20 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I'll gladly park it in my account for you
Old 02-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Here is the policy statement at PREVENTS me from opening and on-line account.
US citizens living abroad also face this issue. Most US financial institutions will not open accounts for people living outside of the US. Additionally there's a new piece of legislation called FATCA that requires foreign banks to share account details of it's US customers with the IRS. If they don't do this the IRS withholds 30% tax from the banks US assets. There are big costs associated with FATCA compliance for the banks so some are just refusing to open accounts for US citizens.........so the result is the possibility the US citizens abroad won't be able to open accounts anywhere
Old 02-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm guessing that you have a savings account at the financial institution where the money is currently sitting in a checking account. Can't you transfer the money into some sort of interest earning vehicle they have? They can continue to send statements/documents to you at your "old address" and USPS will forward your mail...for up to 6 months...change of address to your Mom's address.

As an aside, are you planning to pay cash for that new house? Unless you have some kind of income stream that would support house payments, most banks have a hard time understanding your creditworthiness if you only have assets and a superior credit rating.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
I'm guessing that you have a savings account at the financial institution where the money is currently sitting in a checking account. Can't you transfer the money into some sort of interest earning vehicle they have? They can continue to send statements/documents to you at your "old address" and USPS will forward your mail...for up to 6 months...change of address to your Mom's address.

As an aside, are you planning to pay cash for that new house? Unless you have some kind of income stream that would support house payments, most banks have a hard time understanding your creditworthiness if you only have assets and a superior credit rating.
Only on-line savings yield anyhing north of 1%.
I lose more thatn .5% if I go with a standard B of A savings accnt.

We have the USPS forwarding our mail. However, this does not satisfy the banks requirement for a permanent address that they confirm via utility bills and other sources.

Yes cash for the next house is my plan. Im done with banks if I can help it.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

There is no 'right' being violated... you do not have a right to checking account...
Old 02-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #15

You're different, you're screwed.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #16

Have your mom's gas bill put in your name until you can get the account opened.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:26 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Used to be banks only messed with the credit challenged. Now they mess with everybody. Then there's all these 20 something "gatekeeper" CSR's, who are impossible to deal with. I had an issue with my debit card not working, and the CSR insisted I didn't know how to use an ATM. Felt like telling her I'd been using ATM's before she was born. Found out later it was a network outage. Of course, they never informed their CSR's of this.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #18

Ken11,

What address are you planning on using for your tax return? When our 25 year old son moved back in with us for a few months (from a different State) he got a new drivers license with our address and opened a bank account at a local bank.

He only stayed a few monthswhile he found a job and then saved up enough to fund an apartment and move out. I don't see a legal problem with you changing your address to that of your mother since that is where you are living.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:17 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

While you're worrying about this you might as well worry about the sky falling... because it's basically as relevant.

Use your mother's address and be done with it. It is where you are domiciled and is your legal residence: unless you think by not owning or renting property you immediately become a man without a country.

What you should be concerned about, as others have pointed out, is that your savings are being eroded away by the actions of the FED. That is something to be pissed about...
Old 02-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I don't see a legal problem with you changing your address to that of your mother since that is where you are living.
This is a perfectly legit thing to do, and Ken hasn't answered why he isn't doing this.

Audrey