Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Pay down the mortgage (fund 529 later) or Fund 529 now? Math problem.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
gone traveling

Pay down the mortgage (fund 529 later) or Fund 529 now? Math problem.

30, married, first child is 6 weeks old at this point.

We have a $290k mortgage on a house worth ~$390k. I've been looking at possibly refinancing into a 20yr 3.5% loan with my credit union.

I ran a couple of scenarios and am confused at how this math is working out.

• Scenario 1: Start putting $4800 yearly into a 529 plan for junior. Pay down mortgage at the current rate (we're not putting much extra toward it)
  • Scenario 2: Take that $4800 yearly, and put it toward the mortgage instead. Then, when the mortgage is paid off, use the $2200/mo we had been paying on a mortgage to fund a 529.
Assuming an average rate of return of 5% (somewhat irrelevant here), I Came up with Scenario 1 having a 529 balance of $141k by junior's 20th birthday, and a paid off mortgage. Scenario 2 has me paying off the mortgage in Dec 2025, and from then on out contributing $26800/yr to a 529.. with an ending balance of 188k and a long gone mortgage.

If I'm spending the same amount of money on both of these "investments", and I'm assuming a rate of return of 5% in the 529, why does it seem better to pay down debt at a rate of 3.5% first?

Might be a hard sell on the wife to focus on the mortgage instead of the 529 for 12 years.

Edit: Some other realities that I didn't add to the scenarios, for simplicity: My wife is currently working on 60% salary to stay home with the child for most of the week (eliminating child care), and the plan is to perhaps have another child and she'd go back to full-time 8 years from now. So, in theory, more income then... also another 529. Also, these scenarios do not even include the fact that my wife gets a yearly bonus (20-25% of her salary), which we could toss at a mortgage. Also, we had a "2nd mortgage" with her parents who have generously given us a cheap loan. This will be gone in 4 years, freeing up $400/mo.

For the simplicity of this exercise though, I just want to understand if it's better to dive at the mortgage, unless you're seeing 9% gains in the 529.
bo_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #2

I can't tell you the best mathematical solution, just the way we approached it.

I have a couple of once a year cash sources. (Bonus, used to have ESPP cycles, and an RMD from an inherited IRA). I use this once a year money to fund once a year expenses: property taxes, auto and homeowners insurance, and the kids 529's. I've been tossing $5k/kid in each year and plan to do so till I have enough saved or they're graduated. (And plan to retire before this.) So my firecalc inputs include an extra 10K of spending till the youngest is 22.

I would use your wife's bonus to fund the 529's. Since bonuses aren't guaranteed, this seems like a good, goal oriented, use of the money.
rodi is online now   Reply With Quote