Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-06-2015, 09:10 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

What are the odds that the treatment would be stopped before it is finished, and why? If you think the work would be unacceptable or the dentist wouldn't be able to resolve any unexpected issues, then I wouldn't use this dentist or maybe the invisalign process regardless of the payment situation. If you think there is a good chance your DW will be "dissatisfied with the service halfway through," is it because she doesn't feel the dentist is very good? If she walks away, even if you have been able to be billed for regular payments, you will have to pay a lot more to another dentist to continue or start over, I imagine.

I guess I would keep looking for the right dentist. I don't think many people stop treatment but you seem to be worried about that, so I would listen to my gut and move on, and maybe she will find the right dentist, who will offer pay as you go.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2015, 12:51 PM   #22
Gone but not forgotten

I had braces in my 50's . The regular metal ones . Once those things are on there is no thought of stopping in the middle . I paid monthly . I was never offered a prepayment plan just a payment book . It cost $5,000 and was well worth the money . If I was doing it now in my 60's there is no way I would prepay even if it ended up costing more . Also before I did invisalign I would want assurances that it would work . It is nice not having huge metal grates on your teeth but really most people do not notice or don't give it a second glance .I never thought of stopping treatment but there were days when I wondered what I got myself into .It is uncomfortable and you basically carry a toothbrush constantly .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:44 PM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

I paid for three sets of braces upfront as it was the cheapest method.
- 10% discount for paying in advance
- Used a Flexible Spending Account from my employer to fund it tax free.
- Total amount was available at the beginning of our plan year, with monthly pretax dollars deducted in every paycheck
Best of both worlds, but came with a price....working!
Yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:15 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Paid for DD's braces up front. Moved across country a year later and paid for it all over again. Both sides said it was the other's issue to refund or lower price. What a joke.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:20 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I am in my 40s and am getting braces for the second time (had them when I was a teenager). I'm getting Invisalign as well. My bite is OK, but my front teeth have shifted noticeably in recent years. It cost just under $4K and I paid for it up front with a 5% discount. If I were to finance, the ortho required a 50% down payment anyway. I really dislike monthly payments too. I'd rather just pay for it and get it over with.

Since the ortho thinks I'm a good candidate for Invisalign, I feel confident I will have good results. My treatment will only be for about 20 months though.
hausfrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:45 PM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe

Make absolutely sure whatever route you take to use a Health Savings or Flexible Spending Account. If you are in the 25% tax bracket you're getting $4,000 braces for $3,000 out of pocket.
HSA for Orthodontics and Braces - Health Savings Account Info
Yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:12 PM   #27

My DW did invisiline in her late 30s. Worked great. Very good experience and a great outcome.

If memory serves, I think part of the reason it's a pay up front or finance deal is that the they take the teeth mold and then the computer generates all of the "trays" of invisiline molds at the very beginning. So unlike regular braces, there isn't really a "stop cranking them midway thru the 2nd year" option. You have your set of biweekly molds in a box right at the start of the evolution. If you choose to stop putting them in half way thru, that's your business. You can't "return" the unused trays as they are 100% custom to the mouth in question.

Pay up-front.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:13 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm only in the 15% tax bracket and do not have enough medical expenses to get any benefit from itemizing medical expenses, even with these braces.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #29

I guess a really good question for anyone to answer would be....who here has gotten braces for themselves or a family member and was dissatisfied enough with the orthodontist that they wish they had not paid up front and could've switched to a new orthodontist mid way?
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:34 PM   #30

My parents paid for my braces up front 45 years ago. I paid for my son's braces up front 13 years ago, with insurance covering 50%. I changed jobs 3 months later and lost that insurance, LOL!

That seems to be the norm for orthodonture.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:26 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I'm only in the 15% tax bracket and do not have enough medical expenses to get any benefit from itemizing medical expenses, even with these braces.
Good that you are healthy.

I think previous poster was referring to the HSA as perhaps you have a high deductible health insurance plan ?
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:40 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

We have both HSA and HDHI. Our current HDHI plan is not HSA compatible but our previous HDHI as well as employer sponsored HDHI while I was working were HSA compatible.

For now, I'm not using our HSA but letting it sit and grow, but I do keep track of our accumulated claims so I can take a large chunk out at will if we want to.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote