Join Early Retirement Today

Re: pay your student loans
Old 12-23-2005, 12:10 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard
AR, I hear what you are saying but I am always bemused by those who take on endless education, with no clear rationale as to why?...

...Some times School becomes a refuge from reality.
My son seems to be doing just that. He has intentionally slowed his progress in getting his degree so he can continue to live in the student ghetto on campus and live in the "artifical" world of a large university. He works full time for the university IT department as a network support tech. and even teaches some courses from time to time. He and some buddies have formed a company to use their talents to get some experience in the real-world application of their chosen field and have even made some stuff for the university to use.

He is on his own so if it takes him the rest of his life to finish, then that is up to him. No wife, no kids, no house, a 15 year old car and shared living expenses put him in a low living expense category so I hope he is saving some of it but by the looks of things it is all going into the business in the form of technology.

He has no student loans. My other son has no loans and works part time as well as being partial funded by the Bank of Dad. I got through with no loans, part time work and living way way below my means on less than $150 a month (not counting tuition and books) in an off-campus rat hole of an apartment; no car, no wife, no kids, nothing much more than a few clothes, a used bed and a home made desk.

Guess they "got it" when we talked about the value of not being in debt.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2005, 03:27 PM   #22

SteveR, I bet those were some of the fondest days of your life?
Old 12-23-2005, 06:59 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My fondest days were flying kites, playing with marbles, and watching the stars at nights during my childhood.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:08 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
My fondest days were flying kites, playing with marbles, and watching the stars at nights during my childhood.
Me too, except for the marbles. My dad was an amazing kite builder. He would build these big box kites that you had to have a winch to roll back in. He taught my sister and I how to fold paper and send it twirling up the line to the kite. My sister and I played a game we called "God's wife" where we would scrawl messages on the paper and send them to God, up the kite string.

He also woke us up in the middle of the night to look at the stars. Miss him, he has been gone for 20 years now.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 07:21 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Me too, except for the marbles.* * My dad was an amazing kite builder.* He would build these big box kites that you had to have a winch to roll back in.* He taught my sister and I how to fold paper and send it twirling up the line to the kite.* My sister and I played a game we called "God's wife"* where we would scrawl messages on the paper and send them to God, up the kite string.

He also woke us up in the middle of the night to look at the stars.* Miss him, he has been gone for 20 years now.
A game called "God's Wife". Now that is cute!

There is a verse in 'God Shuffled his Feet' by the CRASH TEST DUMMIES
which goes............

"The people sipped their wine,
and what with God there asked him questions.
Like do you have to eat,
or get your hair cut in heaven?
And if your eye got poked out in this life,
would it be waiting up in heaven with your wife?"

They just don't write lyrics like that any more.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 07:57 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
My son seems to be doing just that.* He has intentionally slowed his progress in getting his degree so he can continue to live in the student ghetto on campus and live in the "artifical" world of a large university.* He works full time for the university IT department as a network support tech. and even teaches some courses from time to time.* He and some buddies have formed a company to use their talents to get some experience in the real-world application of their chosen field and have even made some stuff for the university to use.*

He is on his own so if it takes him the rest of his life to finish, then that is up to him.* No wife, no kids, no house, a 15 year old car and shared living expenses put him in a low living expense category so I hope he is saving some of it but by the looks of things it is all going into the business in the form of technology.
Sounds like he's trading off a degree for subsidized housing, a one-minute commute, and an occasional teaching gig. Perhaps it's a little difficult to attract a mate when you're a 20-something in the dorm but if that was a priority problem then it would've been solved pretty quickly. We're not supposed to see a problem here, are we?

College was the best eight years of my brother's life. He's working full-time (for the last couple decades) while he's waiting for his R&B band to take off. Seems to be working for him...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 11:46 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert the Red
The best student I had in Calculus, on the other hand, was a guy who'd just got out of the Marines (Gulf War #1 had just ended a few month earlier).
Maybe he had a very deep understanding of trajectory, acceleration, etc.

Ha
Old 12-24-2005, 12:06 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Heh. When I was a kid growing up in NYC, it was a great joy to spend summers in the vacation house my parents own on the edge of the Jersey pine barrens. I spent many a day fishing all day at the lake, running around in the woods, or just reading. Mom would take us to do stuff like pick blueberries, and I remember being woken up in the middle of the night to see Halley's commet. When dad came down for the weekends (he had to work in the city during the week), we would go fishing on Barnegat Bay. It was a wonderful childhood. That's probably been a factor in my choice to move from Queens to central NJ, and its almost certainly a factor in my hankering for a vacation place in the woods now that we are having kids.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote