Pay Yourself First or How did you create a savings plan that worked?

I got a late start on saving despite my best intentions.  First wife was a spender, not a saver, resulting in some major debt which the judge was very happy to dump on me during the divorce.

Really started saving after the divorce despite paying off 10 credit cards which had been maxed out and buying a modest home to house myself and my son.  I lost half my retirement, but since we did not save much it was only a minor loss.

I started saving as much as I could but the main focus was debt reduction and keeping the roof over our heads.  It was a very rough 3 years.  

Second wife was a compulsive shopper but was very frugal at it.  She would shop for hours at a time looking for the lowest price before buying anything.  We both worked long hours and had little time for trips other than family visits so we were able to save.  We maxed out our 401(k)s and started investing in after tax stocks.  We got burned a few times (part of the learning process) but also hit a couple of home runs.  Our strategy was buy and hold unless the reason we bought changed; then we sold.  

Third wife is a middle of the road type.  She like clothes (big surpize!) but is careful about prices.  I end up spending more than she does to support maintenance/repairs on our house and cabin.  Also, with a bad back I have to pay people to do stuff I would rather do myself but can no longer do.  That costs money.

We are nearing RE (my second; her first) in 23 months.  Our investments are struggling and we have just gotten back to even from the losses in 2000-2001 with company stock and some other stuff.  Long sad story  :-[  But, we are forging ahead.  I have one more kid to get through college and we are a heavy debt reduction schedule.  Our ER budget post ER needs some work as we tend to still spend too much; mostly as justification for long hours and high stress jobs.  That will go away when we retire!

She saves 20% and me 12% of our checks in 401(k)s.  I have some cash stashed away in short term CDs and some bond ladders but we still have yet to set up a good income stream for ER.  Since we will be 55, SS is a long way off and would not help that much.  I have a pension (minus QUADRO) that helps but is little more than beer and toy money for now.  We save most of it but use it as a pool for big expenses like repairs (air conditioner $2K, roof $5k, etc.)  

Saving is hard to do and we have had many discussions on the subject.  It is a balance between "treating yourself" and being $ wise about the future.  She is not used to having much ...long story.. so she is still adjusting to having a positive bank balance and no CC debt, no car debt and only the mortgages to deal with.( Still a major tax write off for now).

Plan to save and put it where it is hard to get at.
Save each raise and a part of each bonus (need some play money to reward your hard work)
Invest carefully but you gotta pay if you want to play; so get in for the long haul.
Keep a stash of cash (MM and short term CDs) for short and long term expenses.  Use this to pay cash for cars and other big ticket items to avoid non-deductable interest payments.  
Dump the mortgage when it is no longe giving you a decent tax deduction.

Save for a goal and stick to it.  Resist the tempation to raid the cookie jar because you think you need a bigger TV or the latest handheld computer gadget.  Wait for sales on stuff and stay out of name brand stores.  

Saving and intellegent spending are the yin and yang of funding for life events; cars, house, college and retirement.  The energy and comittment you make today will pay off (with interest) in the future.  

SteveR said:
I got a late start on saving despite my best intentions.  First wife was a spender, not a saver, resulting in some major debt which the judge was very happy to dump on me during the divorce.

A lot of this sounds like my story. I took all of the debt from my first marriage,
but still got a good deal overall. I retired 100% immediately.
First wife (big spender) is working full time.

Second (and last) wife wants to work. She has very little financial knowledge
but she carries her weight and then some, so I don't get involved
(would only lead to trouble). My idea is that I will straighten it all
out after she eventually retires. Until then everything is completely separate.

JG

Andre: 60% of your gross pay on a base of $50K per year!  :eek: You must get a lot of rent from your roommates. Enough to pay the payment on the heloc? and how do you consider the ot? Is that in your 60%.

As our salaries increased we increased our savings.

This is what worked for me. Don't miss what you never had.

Took a few years raises but eventually hit a savings rate of 20%. Still there today (at least 'till FIRE ).

bogart said:
DaveW -- I agree -- probably we'll see some combination of the things you have listed, as well as new things I haven't thought of. Seems inevitable to me

Don't bogart my retirement? :confused:

Like other early retirees have posted, I didn't have a specific savings plan. Instead, it was a bias toward saving instead of saving as an afterthought.

I started living below my means as a young man by moving to a less expensive part of the country where a guy could buy a modest, but well built house and a few acres cheaply.

The rest of the story involves LBYM and never incurring a debt (except a mortgage). I married a thrifty woman, too. No kids. No divorces. Good health. Lots of good luck. :D

Maddy,

basically, I just live cheap, I guess! Basically, in my paycheck I see about 57 cents on the dollar, once they've taken out taxes, 401k, health insurance, etc. Comes out to $1088 every two weeks, if I don't pull any overtime. I just get a straight hourly rate for OT, no 1.5x or anything exotic like that.

So basically, on average I'm probably living off of about $2400 per month net pay. I invest $1300, leaving me $1100. HELOC takes away another $600, leaving me with $500. Roommates are paying me $350 a month each. Plus, something else I forgot to account for...I lent one of my roommies some money, and he's been paying me back $500 per month. So, throw all that together and I've still got about $1700 per month to blow through. And they buy most of the food, and one of them pays the internet. Now once that loan is paid back, that'll be $500 less to play with, so I might have to adjust. And if interest rates go up too much I'll have to devote more to the HELOC. And I'm NOT looking forward to paying for home heating oil this winter!

So in my case, I might not be able to keep up this $1300 per month into mutual funds, plus the 401k, but I'm going to keep doing it while I can!

Also, I just figured that 60% based on making $50K (just got bumped to that in July) and taking 28% out of that (my 25% and the company's 3%), and then adding $1300 per month to it. If I work more OT and make more than $50K (If I don't work any more OT this year, I'll probably finish off the year at around $51,800) then the 401k portion will go up.

I have been lurking for a year and finally decided to start posting.

We save around 40% of our gross salaries. That has been our target from the start. We had to live "ultra cheap" in the beginning and have graduated to "semi frivolous". I do not intend to save more than 40% even if I can.

The key is not to live on $50 bucks a day but to increase it as much as possible with 4% withdrawal limit in mind.

I am a great believer of "Pay yourself" first. 15% 401K, 15% ESPP, 4K Roth and 7-10% after tax savings are taken out of both our paychecks even before they hit the account. Whatever is left in the account after paying bills/mortgage is play money.

This is petey who started the thread.

I want to express my gratitude to the kind folk who took the time to post their stories. Many many wonderful contributions.

Given that there were 300 views 24 hours later (now almost 600!) when I returned after starting the initial thread, I'm sure many people are finding the comments both inspiring & instructive!

Best,
Petey

I got a good start right out of college. Because I was working full time and studying for the CPA exam at night my folks let me live at home for 1 year. This allowed me to save 70% of my income that first year.

After that I stretched and bought a condo at 22 which was a little odd for everybody around me. I bought it in a nice suburb north of chicago when most of my peers were spending 80% of their take home on rent and bars in Lincoln park (north side of chicago)

After that I can just say that I'm lucky to have such a good place to work. They pay me well enough that my wife doesn't have to work and can finish her school. Also, being in the investment field I get to see how badly so many in this industry manage their own affairs. My employer has also allowed me to invest in DFA funds with no management fee which is a hard deal to get so I am grateful.

I'm not as die hard of a cost cutter here as many. I have some expensive hobbies like competative trapshooting and cars. But we still manage to save 40-45% of our gross income (before any taxes) every year.

I agree with whoever said it before me that with the situation I'm in now I have to pay people to do things that I should be doing myself. This week I had to pay somebody $1K to paint my condo just becasue I don't have the time or patience to do it myself. but, oh well if the models work out I should be punching out (my version at 40-45)

davew894 said:
Is 10% really enough to save during FIRE?  I thought that to pay for inflation, savings rates need to be something like 40-50%.

There's a lot of "depends" in the answer.  It depends on what you make, it depends on how fast you want to get to FIRE, it depends on what your expenses are, etc.

Inflation is the enemy of the retiree. Most retirees would be better off if the federal reserve was abolished, along with its policy of constantly debasing the currency.

Michael said:
Inflation is the enemy of the retiree.  Most retirees would be better off if the federal reserve was abolished, along with its policy of constantly debasing the currency.
I hear ya, but it seems that the only alternative to the status quo would be the status quo ante-- a return to the gold standard.

I could live with that. It is also possible to come up with an agency whose only charter is integrity of the dollar.

I'm starting to think about upping my 401k contribution a bit. Things are pissing me off at work (too many annoying co-workers throwing temper tantrums and getting away with it, and I'm just getting sick of it). Maybe if I do this, seeing my 401k grow all that much faster, and thinking about how much quicker it'll get to early retirement will make these arseholes more bearable! :D

Andre1969 said:
I'm starting to think about upping my 401k contribution a bit.  Things are pissing me off at work (too many annoying co-workers throwing temper tantrums and getting away with it, and I'm just getting sick of it):D

Go for it!

Andre1969 said:
I'm starting to think about upping my 401k contribution a bit.  Things are pissing me off at work (too many annoying co-workers throwing temper tantrums and getting away with it, and I'm just getting sick of it).  Maybe if I do this, seeing my 401k grow all that much faster, and thinking about how much quicker it'll get to early retirement will make these arseholes more bearable!  :D

I'm curious. How is upping your 401(k) going to make your arsehole co-workers more bearable?

If you hate your co-workers then figure out a way to get away from them, or figure out a way to get them away from you. In a legal way, of course.

Andre1969 said:
Maybe [. . .] thinking about how much quicker it'll get to early retirement will make these arseholes more bearable! :D

Sorry, but in my experience it doesn't work that way. Looking forward to retirement just makes me wish I could stop working now.

But up the 401(k) anyway. There are many positive side effects.

On the other hand thinking about FI/RE helps me think more creatively about my current situation and frees me to try some different things. If I only had the courage...

Andre1969 said:
I'm starting to think about upping my 401k contribution a bit.
Maxing out the 401(k)'s matched contribution is supposed to be a good thing!

Can't do much about the co-workers. But eventually temper tantrums earn the treatment they deserve...

Hey everyone, thanks for the advice and experiences. As it is, I've been someone on cruise control in this job anyway, and really do think about early retirement more often than I probably should! I am going to work on getting some attitudes adjusted here at work (legally, of course...I'm leaving the baseball bat and the two-by-four at home :D).

It's funny, but the people that get me the most irritated here at work aren't supervisors or higher ranking people, but co-workers on the same level as me! There are a few here that are grubby, power-hungry little piss-ants that want to whine about everything, be miserable, and drag me down with them. And when I get some recognition by my supervisors or our customers, they get pissed, nasty, and jealous, and almost go out of their way to be nasty to me! When what they really should be doing is trying to work a little harder, and put more energy into their jobs than trying to be drama queens. I think the main reason the latest little tirade is going around is because I got nominated for, and won, a peer award. One of our customers, an upper-level manager, nominated me. And this is twice in four years I've gotten one, while none of them have even been nominated.

Plus, I'm the youngest one in here, and I think some of them are jealous of that. My closest co-worker is around 44, 9 years older than me, and I know she doesn't have diddly squat saved up. Every time we've switched companies, she'd cash in her 401k instead of rolling it over. And she'd adjust her income taxes so that she gets a big refund at the end of the year, but instead of investing it she'll blow it on a new leather sofa or a cruise or something! She's also refinanced her condo multiple times, and I know she's got to owe more on it today than she did when she bought it way back in 1990! Plus, she's only like 2 years into a 30 year mortgage. I try not to talk finances too much at work, because I know it creates bad will and jealousy, but they still figure things out sometimes. For instance, just in conversation I've mentioned my roommates, and they'll put two and two together, knowing that I recently sold a condo, and now I have two roomates where I'm at, and figure, oh, Andre's got it made! Not that I'm exactly living large, but also when some of my co-workers see how I dress (inexpensive), and lunch habits (rarely eat out), and they can figure that the 2000 Intrepid that I've had for almost 6 years has been paid off for awhile now, so it's not hard for them to figure out that I'm socking away for retirement. I'm sure that gets them jealous, to see someone that actually might make it and retire at a reasonable age!

I did a calculation, and figured that if I don't work any more overtime this year, but don't change my 401k contribution, I'd put in around $13,277. So it's not like I can really put too much more in this year, since it's limited to $14,000. Still, I'm changing my contribution rate to get me there! And, next year, when the limit goes to $15,000, I should already be set!

Nords said:
Maxing out the 401(k)'s matched contribution is supposed to be a good thing!

Can't do much about the co-workers. But eventually temper tantrums earn the treatment they deserve...

Well, maybe not. I know someone who is an expert at temper tantrums. Very little consequence as she is a high production person at the workplace. Lots of other people quit though.

Anre1969, I think about retirement a lot, too, but I wouldn't say "more than I should". It's depressing and unmotivating sometimes, but it also sparks some creative thinking about my finances and career. I haven't been brave enough to do anything out-of-the-box yet, but if my traditional train is derailed I already have many alternate ideas on how to proceed.

Andre1969 said:
It's funny, but the people that get me the most irritated here at work aren't supervisors or higher ranking people, but co-workers on the same level as me! There are a few here that are grubby, power-hungry little piss-ants that want to whine about everything, be miserable, and drag me down with them.

Yeah, I think I have it figured: Management hates hiring and training new people, so while on the surface they seem to be in control many are just treading water and hoping they won't have to hire your replacement and make things more or less easy for you. But coworkers and peer workers from other departments are the bears to wrestle with.

Martha said:
Well, maybe not. I know someone who is an expert at temper tantrums. Very little consequence as she is a high production person at the workplace. Lots of other people quit though.

I have one of those. He thinks he runs the place and sticks his nose into everyone's business and gripes about everything. At his age I assume he enjoys being that way and is an expert at it. Once or twice I was ready to tell him exactly what I thought of him in front of other people, and at those instances he quickly backed down. He's good at this, all right...knows just when to get off the buttons.

If we continue the career/bad person talk we should probably start another thread. We mods keep participating in threadjacking. Bad mods, mad mods.

Martha said:
Well, maybe not.  I know someone who is an expert at temper tantrums.  Very little consequence as she is a high production person at the workplace.  Lots of other people quit though.
It's tough to put a timer on tantrum tactics, but eventually management becomes aware that everyone else has to work almost as hard as the high-production tantrum thrower just to keep up with the body count.

At some point the question has to be asked: "Is this person worth all the collateral damage?"

Just keep feeding them more rope...

I have found the opposite on putting a financial plan together. I feel that it adds empowerment and I can put the petty things at work in perspective. My immediate coworkers are ok. Not a lot of temper tantrums, though. From what you say Andre, it sounds like there are a lot of good things at your job. Also, even if I was ready financially to FIRE today, I think it is still going to take some push out the door. ;)

Back
Top Bottom