Join Early Retirement Today

Paying Advisor Fees from IRA
Old 06-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #1
gone traveling

Paying Advisor Fees from IRA

This may have come up before, this may be well known by others & not need to be discussed, but for those of you, & us, who pay such fees, you can have them deducted/paid from your Traditional IRA directly, thus avoiding income taxes on the money used to pay the fees. I only recently thought to ask about this feature when such fees became non-itemizeable with the new tax law. Yes, sometimes even that deduction was lost when our Miscellaneous Deductions did not exceed 2% of AGI.

That's all.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2018, 02:40 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
This may have come up before, this may be well known by others & not need to be discussed, but for those of you, & us, who pay such fees, you can have them deducted/paid from your Traditional IRA directly, thus avoiding income taxes on the money used to pay the fees. I only recently thought to ask about this feature when such fees became non-itemizeable with the new tax law. Yes, sometimes even that deduction was lost when our Miscellaneous Deductions did not exceed 2% of AGI.

That's all.
Yes, but you're reducing your IRA unnecessarily by the amount of the fee.
Gill
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:25 PM   #3
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Yes, but you're reducing your IRA unnecessarily by the amount of the fee.
Gill
Well, if you believe it's right to have an advisor, why is it unnecessary to do what is right? Or, do you mean you could better fund your advisor fees elsewhere?
Old 06-22-2018, 05:42 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Well, if you believe it's right to have an advisor, why is it unnecessary to do what is right? Or, do you mean you could better fund your advisor fees elsewhere?
I mean the latter. If you must have an advisor, pay the fees with funds outside the IRA to avoid reducing The IRA account unnecessarily.
Gill
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:14 AM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
I mean the latter. If you must have an advisor, pay the fees with funds outside the IRA to avoid reducing The IRA account unnecessarily.
Gill
Thanks.

However, after tax $ are more valuable than pre-tax, i.e., Trad, IRA ones, imo.

Example: If fees are $4K/yr, paying with post-tax $ costs me $4K. If my income tax rate is 25%, paying that same $4K costs me $3K as I never pay the income tax. It's no different than QCD's.

And I'd love to get all my IRA funds out without paying any income tax.