Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-21-2018, 01:37 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goawayrain View Post
Pay with a new AmEx Magnet card which charges no interest for 15 months. The card provides 1.5% cash back plus pays a total of $250 in spend bonuses in the first year, so there would be $400 in bonuses. The card has no annual fee.
Just curious - Is the $10K paid all at once? If that's case, AMEX only pays $150 for spending $1,000 or more in purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership. If the tax payment was bi-annual, $250 is right.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2018, 01:39 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I pay my property tax by credit card. The fee is 2.5% but my credit card rebate is 2.625%. So I still win a little, plus I get the float of the money until the CC bill is due.
catotx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I would definitely pay my property taxes via credit card if they city imposed no fee. But they impose a pretty hefty one.
I am not aware of any governmental agency would accept credit card payment without fee. If existed, I would rather pay with a credit card with cash back also.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:50 PM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Just curious - Is the $10K paid all at once? If that's case, AMEX only pays $150 for spending $1,000 or more in purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership. If the tax payment was bi-annual, $250 is right.
Great catch. I can pay bi-annually, but there is a slight penalty. The AmEx was one example - I haven't researched all possibilities. Discover, for example, has a card that gives 1.5% and then matches it at the end of the year for an effective 3% (so, $300 not $400). I would have to explore the different options (and paying bi-annually) to see what the best option is and if it's worth the effort
Goawayrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:53 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by catotx View Post
I pay my property tax by credit card. The fee is 2.5% but my credit card rebate is 2.625%. So I still win a little, plus I get the float of the money until the CC bill is due.
Our county charges 2.29% service fee. Cash back from AMEX is only 1%. A introductory credit card as described by the OP may be okay but only at the beginning (the first 15 months). I guess you could always cancel it after that period.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:56 PM   #26
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
I am not aware of any governmental agency would accept credit card payment without fee. If existed, I would rather pay with a credit card with cash back also.
Ours are processed through a 3rd party called Official Payments. It looks like on their website that you can see which jurisdictions they contract with

https://www.officialpayments.com/index.jsp
Goawayrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 02:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goawayrain View Post
Ours are processed through a 3rd party called Official Payments. It looks like on their website that you can see which jurisdictions they contract with

https://www.officialpayments.com/index.jsp
Thanks. It does cover our county.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:56 AM   #28

I understand the cashback calculation but don't understand how the spending bonus works. Have you done the alternate calculation: instead of paying the large fee for govt bill, what happens if you just use the card for your normal fee-free spending and then bank that money in a saving acct paying 1.9%.
Yes , the interest you earn will be less and will slowly build w/ time as you spend but you won't have to pay the large govt fee so perhaps it won't be as bad as you assume.

In the past, the biggest turnoff for these things has been the consequence of not paying back on time. Perhaps you get distracted, ill etc............
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote