Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #201
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
You've been watching too many movies.
That might be better if I did (I only watch about 4 movies a year)....instead I get my news from the internet , from articles like this Business Is Shaking Pension-Fund Piggy Bank : Use of Excess Cash Is Windfall for Firms, Source of Concern for Employees - Los Angeles Times

even though it's old. The internet does accidentally preserve stuff because people just don't clean out their old pages.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #202
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It so old as to be irrelevant. My adult son was hardly a glimmer in my eye when this article was published.

Some of that stuff did happen long ago when some pension plans were overfunded.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #203
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
It so old as to be irrelevant. My adult son was hardly a glimmer in my eye when this article was published.

Some of that stuff did happen long ago when some pension plans were overfunded.
I have not done an academic type study on this, but it seems to me that, over time, the vulture attacks on just a few companies would have caused other firms to either underfund their pension plans, or just stop them entirely? Especially after the 401k came into being in 1980. Why bother with the pensions, especially if it could potentially be a liability, when you can provide a 401k instead. IMHO.

My first fulltime megacorp job was in 1980, and we had a company stock fund that was a nascent 401k, and it expanded from there.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #204
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
I have not done an academic type study on this, but it seems to me that, over time, the vulture attacks on just a few companies would have caused other firms to either underfund their pension plans, or just stop them entirely? Especially after the 401k came into being in 1980. Why bother with the pensions, especially if it could potentially be a liability, when you can provide a 401k instead. IMHO.

My first fulltime megacorp job was in 1980, and we had a company stock fund that was a nascent 401k, and it expanded from there.
IIRC while there is some discretion in pension plan funding, there are minimum funding requirements. IIRC most companies funding is a blend of tax motivation and what is needed from an actuarial perspective. I don't think takeover issues were a big factor in funding decisions. The overfundings that occurred in the 80s were principally due to better than expected investment results than aggressive contributions IIRC.

You're right that from a company perspective that DC plans are easier and less risky, since the contributions are more predictable since they do not depend on investment results that can be volatile.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote