Peer backlash against us?

I may add some water to the moat...

If it gets really bad you can let loose the fire ants, snakes and scorpions.

We have a few friends and family that are aware of our intentions to retire at some point. My peers at work are not among them and it will remain that way. I have no intention of telling them about my FIRE/ESR plans even when I serve notice.

DD

Nobody expresses any envy when they see me out in the rain and cold jumping around in the dumpster compressing the empty boxes the tenants throw in so they have more room for their trash. When I'm down south in the warm there are way too many people flaunting greater wealth than I, so no envy expressed there either.

I think you retired folks are being a bit paranoid.............most folks out there are too busy buying SUVs and taking overpriced vacations to worry about the guy down the street that seems to be home all the time........

I would just tell everyone you are unemployed, because, well, you are!!!

.............most folks out there are too busy buying SUVs and taking overpriced vacations

I would just tell everyone you are unemployed, because, well, you are!!!

Very few SUV drivers and overpriced vacationeers around me.

With our enormous amount of unemployed, it would be an insult to them to consider myself one, even though technically and legally I´ve been laid off due to downsizing.
But of course, sadly, not all the unemployed are in my situation:(

The Perfect Storm...

High unemployment
A struggling economy
Massive government debts
Massive unfunded entitlements
massive unfunded govment ( at all levels) pension/healtlhcare obligations
very poor retirement planning by many boomers
high personal debt of many boomers

yet taxes are some of the lowest historical levels ever

The conclusion is obvious in that you will pay much more taxes, and keep less of what you think is yours. Benefts you have been promised will get worse. Perhaps the taxes and benefit cuts will come directly. Or perhaps the hidden taxes and cuts will come via inflation.

yet in spite of that you'll be much much better off than those that the government will need to help.

This could get really ugly.

Ah hah! Finally someone else who thinks like me.

The conclusion is obvious in that you will pay much more taxes, and keep less of what you think is yours. Benefts you have been promised will get worse. Perhaps the taxes and benefit cuts will come directly. Or perhaps the hidden taxes and cuts will come via inflation.

Just wistful thinking there, my lady.

... I really don't care what everyone thinks as long as they and the government keep their hands off my money.

Oh bother. No one talks about outright property confiscation or any violence here.

The hacienda is well covered by Strum, Smith, Merlin and company.

OK, so none of us wants to have compassion or share with the grasshoppers. But there are ways to make you share, and it does not have to involve violence at all.

It so happens that I found the following in Otar's book that has been discussed in other threads.

Inflation is one of the most efficient ways of transferring wealth from those who derive their income from capital (most retirees) to those who derive their income from work. I have no doubt that the next generation, overburdened with the debt that our generation created, will be successful in bringing back inflation when the time is right for them.

So, inflation is a way for the younger generation to get back at us, the bastard baby boomers who screwed things up for them. Inflation is a way to make us share. And then, there will be SS means testing, and various other taxes.

As parents, when we ourselves talk about the younger generation, it is not a faceless class. How can we enjoy retirement putzing around when our kids labor hard to pay for our generation past excesses? We will have to share, not just with our own kids, but also other people's kids. But how about Mr. Vanatta of the OP article, who has nothing left to share? Who has the good laugh now, the ants who will have to share, simply because they have something to share, or the grasshoppers who are simply empty pocketed? How to squeeze blood from the proverbial turnip?

Oh, we all know how life is never fair. I don't know if it is my perennial pessimism, but whenever I find myself in a good situation, whether by luck or by my hard work, there is always a gotcha in there. Things may not be as good as we hope them to be.

All this talk makes me want to go out to get that quarter-million class A diesel while I still have the money to pay for it. What am I saving for, driving this used chintzy motor home?

I post on another forum which has primarily people around 30. This story about the 100k worker with no savings generated a thread. One response was "Baby Boomers are the Selfish Generation". Multiple people had stories of parents or in laws who are classic spendthrifts. I'm more concerned about the attitude of young people toward retirees in general than I am about my peers' attitude toward my early out.

As more threats of means tests have reared their ugly voice, I have been thinking a lot about my wage cohorts. You see, I don't mind sharing with those who have had less opportunity to save (but would rather not) but I get red faced when I share with my wage cohort who sent his children to private schools, indulged in a stay-at-home wife after the child care was not an issue, bought a new truck every couple of years, bought a bass boat, and never got around to that savings bit.

Very few SUV drivers and overpriced vacationeers around me.

With our enormous amount of unemployed, it would be an insult to them to consider myself one, even though technically and legally I´ve been laid off due to downsizing.
But of course, sadly, not all the unemployed are in my situation:(

What's the price of gas in Spain, $9 a gallon? That's why..........;)

I'm sure a lot of people at work were surprised when I retired at 62 during a period of high unemployment. NO one was quitting a secure job in I.T.

But like many of you, I saved a lot, invested wisely, and lived way below my salary level. We have a nice house, car etc. - but we don't spend needlessly. I like to cook. We don't go out a lot but can afford it when we do.

What I find odd is that people have this perception of baby boomers that we spend money all the time. I find that much more true of people in their 40s or younger. Maybe some of them are technically boomers, but if they are talking about ones who are close to retirement... I find out lifestyle is pretty typical.

The 45 and younger crowd (or maybe the 50 and younger?) go out a lot more, spend a lot on eating out and drinks, etc. Have a huge mortgage. And they don't save money, even with substantial incomes.

Obviously I'm generalizing but I saw it in action in I.T. where the pay scale is relatively generous.

I post on another forum which has primarily people around 30. This story about the 100k worker with no savings generated a thread. One response was "Baby Boomers are the Selfish Generation". Multiple people had stories of parents or in laws who are classic spendthrifts. I'm more concerned about the attitude of young people toward retirees in general than I am about my peers' attitude toward my early out.

along those lines:

The Eastern Echo

Wow. Bitter much?
But, even after everything, that isn’t the part that earns them the title of “The Selfish Generation.” I don’t mind they spent, and I don’t mind they ran up a huge bill on the credit card. I don’t even mind they left us a country with crumbling schools and a weak economy. That isn’t the part that gets me.
What really matters in all of this is what they’re saying now it’s over, now they’ve done their damage.
They’re saying it’s too late. They’re telling us we can’t recover from this. They’re telling us we can’t be strong and free and great again because they dug such a deep hole, out of which no one could possibly dig. I think they’re wrong, and I think they shouldn’t tell our generation we can’t do something just because they can’t do it themselves.
They’re also saying no. The Boomers are saying no to helping us fix the problems. After digging us a hole, they’re refusing to do anything that will save us. They still won’t sacrifice for this country, even though they never did in the first place. They insist on every dollar due in their pensions and they raise hell over the idea of increasing the retirement age or reducing Social Security benefits.
But really, what matters is what they aren’t saying. They aren’t saying they’re sorry. In all the things that have been said about who we are and where we are going as a country, the Boomers haven’t said they’re sorry. They haven’t taken the blame for failing schools and broken homes. They haven’t said I’m sorry for not investing in the future. They haven’t said they could have done better. For them, it was always someone else’s fault.

I'm more concerned about the attitude of young people toward retirees in general than I am about my peers' attitude toward my early out.
"Make room! Make room!"...

Continuing to live a simpler frugal lifestyle helps. W Buffet looks from outside appearances to be comfortable. I have family and I won't disclose finances to any. They are free to make their choices, and have criticized us for our choices. I care for them but cannot afford to fund their higher spending habits. What is gained by "I told you so"?

As more threats of means tests have reared their ugly voice, I have been thinking a lot about my wage cohorts. You see, I don't mind sharing with those who have had less opportunity to save (but would rather not) but I get red faced when I share with my wage cohort who sent his children to private schools, indulged in a stay-at-home wife after the child care was not an issue, bought a new truck every couple of years, bought a bass boat, and never got around to that savings bit.

I think the common sense response when facing griping from the latter type of individual is "Look, you enjoyed the luxuries over the years, now it is my turn to enjoy the luxuries I have earned such as freedom from the need to work".

I just turned 30 and on the rare occasions when I mention something to someone my age about savings or maxing 401k's and IRA's I am usually met with responses indicating that is impossible. But at the same time, these people enjoy plenty of luxuries now (luxury cars, big houses, boats, frequent expensive vacations, electronic gadgets, maid service, lawn service, stay at home spouse, etc). We all make choices. Just don't begrudge me in 5-10 years for making choices right now that maximize my own net worth.

1.20 euros per liter. That amounts to .....1$ per liter?. Anyway, these are rough times in Spain:mad:.

That's about double the price at the pump in the US. You are paying $6/gallon and it is around $3/gallon stateside. Or 0.58euro/litro

And what do you refer to when you are talking about the BB's childern :whistle: :confused:

I'll mention that there's no evidence that they are any different.

Sooner or later I'll point out that the typical Gen-X kid got more stuff from Mom and Dad than the typical Boomer, but that will generate disbelief.

To be fair, I've also seen posts (though fewer) saying the younger generation is clueless, more interested in video games than producing something, etc.

But I expect the overwhelming majority will believe they had nothing to do with the debt, or their difficulty competing with foreign workers, it must all be "somebody else's fault". That's pretty much human nature.

Hey, I know that I/DW are truly fortunate in our current financial situation, but it was built over many years by significant sacrifices along the way. I have no desire to share with those that acted like "grasshoppers" in their earlier life...

Hey I resemble that remark:cool:

Be kind to grasshoppers, or we will eat your fields

Last edited:
Well, being 30; I wrote a really long post. Then I decided it behooves me not to make enemies here.

Can we at least generalize less and accept this is way more complicated than stupid spenders vs. smart savers?

Well, being 30;Can we at least generalize less and accept this is way more complicated than stupid spenders vs. smart savers?

The question should be...

What do we as (smart) savers owe the (stupid) spenders.

Or what do gen-Xers, and gen-Yers owe the (stupid) boomer spenders. Even if it is somehow moral to not let them starve/live in poverty, What exactly are the Xers, and Yers actually prepared or willing to pay for ? Especially since what they will probably get when their time comes is much less.

The topic of generational accounting attempts to discuss some of the fairness/moral questions with this issue.

below is one link to this topic.

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/briefing-book/background/taxes-budget/generational-accounting.cfm

Back
Top Bottom