Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Peer lending (Prosper)
Old 03-02-2015, 11:20 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Peer lending (Prosper)

Just curious if anyone has every experimented with these before (on the lending/investor side)? They seem to be growing in popularity, and (my limited research has shown) they appear to offer reasonable and predictable returns (net of fees) of ~5-10%.

I haven't done much research, but just wanted to see what your thoughts were and if anyone had experience with them.
younginvestor2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2015, 11:55 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Run.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:59 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Let's see, make an unsecured loan to strangers who can't get money elsewhere? What could possibly go wrong?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:05 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Lots of hedge funds and institutional smart money has invested in them. There are also backdoor ways to pack an IRA with money with prosper and lending club.

Sent from my XT1049 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
bad_LNIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:35 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This reminds me of my dad's retirement plan: flip houses and owner-finance the sale to people who couldn't get a conventional mortgage. There's a reason those people can't get loans. He visited some of them 10-15 times a month to stay in their faces so he'd get paid. This would not be something I'd be interested in, as I'm already heavily in that "sector".
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:50 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
This reminds me of my dad's retirement plan: flip houses and owner-finance the sale to people who couldn't get a conventional mortgage. There's a reason those people can't get loans. He visited some of them 10-15 times a month to stay in their faces so he'd get paid. This would not be something I'd be interested in, as I'm already heavily in that "sector".
Heh. I early on rented to some pretty desperate characters. As in not far from living under a bridge. Used to go and see them several times a week and called it collecting excuses rather than collecting rent. They were mighty hospitable though - almost always offered me a beer, which I always declined.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:57 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Tax reporting on this must be a nightmare.
ERTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:20 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

P2P lending is essentially junk bonds. Many investors here do not recommend junk bonds because they are high risk and don't provide diversification with stocks.

That is, when stocks go down, bonds tend to do well, but junk bonds just follow stocks. In P2P lending, a lot of the borrowers won't be able to make good on their loan if the market tanks and they lose their jobs.

One could justify this type of "investing" by considering it charity: Providing a service that's less predatory than loansharking or payday lenders to folks who just need a hand up. But don't be surprised if you lose your shirt.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:59 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have had good and bad experiences with this issue. on the whole I would say stay away, because of the aforementioned need to run down the occupants for the rent.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:19 PM   #10
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi, I invested in Lending Club. I had put in around $43K in various notes. So far, the adjusted return is around 6.6%. Around $1K has been charged off, another $1K is late. I have withdrawn (only as the notes mature), around $20K and the remaining outstanding balance is $26K...... so overall I am not too happy with the return.. but no complaints either. I plan to take all my money out as the notes mature (you can choose between 36 mo or 60 mo notes). However, we have not experienced a market correction/slowdown so can't really say how the loans would have fared had that happened. A bonus though was the 250 shares I got at $15 when LC IPOed.. sold them immediately at $25.. so some short term gain there as well.
Agni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:22 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I was early lender in Prosper, lost a modest amount of money, but less than I would have if the money had been in the market in 2007 and 2008.

There are a number of threads on the subject. But by far the best information on Peer 2 Peer lending is this series of article done by early board member, Nords on his blog here

You should read it before investing in either Prosper or Lending Club. It doesn't mean they are horrible investment, but many of the risks are non obvious.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote