Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-06-2008, 10:06 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Believe $100,000 is the cutoff but I read $105,000 somewhere else maxed out at less than $10,000 this year so I will get back a check for the overage. If we can get folks under that threshold to contribute more money and or at a higher rate of participation the number will move up for the folks over the threshold. Notmuchlongers spouse sounds like they have a good participation among all participants.
Before Ben & Jerry's sold their company (yes the ice cream) they used to have a management pay plan with various collars on it. (All fake #'s here) but for example the president cannot make more than 20 times the wage of the lowest paid employee, the VP no more than 15 times etc. etc... I was watching some sort of documentary on them and I believe it was the Marketing VP was having kittens because he was making so much less than his peers in the industry and they just told him well you can always change companies or you can devise a better marketing effort that will improve the companies performance so we can pay the lowest guy more which will allow your salary to increase. Kind of reminds me of the 401k rules.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2008, 10:07 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
The limit for contributions from all sources is 45k, so employers could match 200% if they chose,
200% ? Why should they?
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:17 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
Before Ben & Jerry's sold their company (yes the ice cream) they used to have a management pay plan with various collars on it. (All fake #'s here) but for example the president cannot make more than 20 times the wage of the lowest paid employee, the VP no more than 15 times etc. etc... I was watching some sort of documentary on them and I believe it was the Marketing VP was having kittens because he was making so much less than his peers in the industry and they just told him well you can always change companies or you can devise a better marketing effort that will improve the companies performance so we can pay the lowest guy more which will allow your salary to increase.
Some people may agree.... others may not, but the above sort of thinking makes me ill. I would never want to work in a company where my personal success or failure (salary wise) was determined by what other folks were making. I believe that everyone should be free to determine their own salaries. It is generally in the companies best interest to get someone working for them for the lowest salary possible, and it is in the workers best interest to attempt to get the highest salary possible. You trade 40 (or more) hours a week of your labor for a paycheck. Either party is free to terminate that agreement at any time, if either side thinks they can get a better deal. Believe it or not.... this is also why I am against the concept of the minimum wage law. It has been my experience that more often than not, employers tend to use the minimum wage law as a price fixing tool against lower skilled employees. As in...."why should I pay you any more than minimum wage reguarless of how good your performance is?" Minimum wage also does not encourage lower paid workers to strive for excellence, as there is no reward for it. Take off these sorts of constraints and better quality workers will get paid more, and lesser quality workers will get paid less... as they should be.
armor99 is offline   Reply With Quote