Recording Fees 90
City/County Tax Stamps 150
State Tax Stamps 350
Lien Release 40

Survey 275
Pest inspection 50
15 day interest 215

TOTAL: 2845

Another $450 of which they are paying. Then there is the additional line item in my monthly payment for $63 labeled 'Other & Spec Assess & Assoc'.

On top of all that, I guess they're so busy that no one has time to call me back the last 4 days.

I'm about ready to w/d my application.
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

What do they mean by "attorney fees" - are you sure they don't mean that as an estimate of YOUR attorney fees (which are typically not counted as part of the lender's closing costs).

The 15-day interest doesn't seem like it's a cost to you, rather, just pre-paid interest, unless I'm missing something.

I know these don't completely make up the difference between your estimate and the final number, but maybe partially; and I know different areas of the country have different costs for recording properties etc., so maybe that explains the rest of the difference.

I haven't dealt with Penn Fed, but I was under the impression that they were a decent lender to get a mortgage from.
Lusitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Looking at my paperwork from last spring estimate $2675.00 Actually paid $1552.00

Some of these lines fall on you others get paid by Penfed I did have to place a few extra calls as I didn't always get a quick accurate call back. Of course all in all it was the smoothest mortgage I've ever been part of and they were just so darn friendly on the phone I couldn't possibly complain. My refi was timed just like yours when the rates were dropping and there was a frenzy of activity so yes I'm sure they are buried. A real person will be able to walk you through the difference.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Dunno, buddy refi'ed about a year ago with them and was extremely
pleased, and he's no noob. Hope they're not going to the dark side ...
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:37 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Still no call from my processor all week. I left 3 messages and 1 email.

I called in today and asked the person who answered the phone to review my GFE. I got just about all my questions answered. I still don't agree with how and why some of the numbers are listed. The rep agreed with me.

It is ridiculous that I got no call all week from my loan processor. They need more staffing, especially if they know a rate reduction is coming.

If communications don't get any better, I'll never close.

The main difference on the loan amount was becaused they used an amount from cr rpt 2 months behind, even though I applied for the exact prin bal remaining.
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:44 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Hate to hear this, if they (penfed) ever get their 30yr fixed to 5% or below, I guess it will be my turn in the barrel...............
tjon72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:12 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjon72 View Post
Hate to hear this, if they (penfed) ever get their 30yr fixed to 5% or below, I guess it will be my turn in the barrel...............
We'll both be taking numbers and standing in line.

The week after Christmas I'm going to start calling the NFCU, with whom we have our current mortgage, and ask them just how valuable our business is to them.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:59 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
Still no call from my processor all week. I left 3 messages and 1 email.

I called in today and asked the person who answered the phone to review my GFE. I got just about all my questions answered. I still don't agree with how and why some of the numbers are listed. The rep agreed with me.

It is ridiculous that I got no call all week from my loan processor. They need more staffing, especially if they know a rate reduction is coming.

If communications don't get any better, I'll never close.

The main difference on the loan amount was becaused they used an amount from cr rpt 2 months behind, even though I applied for the exact prin bal remaining.
I've had a good experience with Navy Fed CU. I'm closing on a refi on Monday the 22d, exactly 2 weeks after first applying. Of course rates will continue to fall now. But my market timing has always been pretty poor so I decided not to play around. My principal remaining is relatively small so it really won't matter too awful much if I miss a half point or so.
Gardnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:16 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Regarding PenFed, it seems that the quality of their loan processors is highly variable. Personally I had a great loan processor and an OK title person when I refi'ed with them in the spring.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote