Join Early Retirement Today

PenFed "Deposit Anywhere" feature
Old 06-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

PenFed "Deposit Anywhere" feature

I just noticed this yesterday. It's on the right hand column in the "I Want To.." box.

It's for using your computer scanner to deposit checks to your PenFed account. I have a scanner and tried this but I'm running Windows 7 in 64 bit and it doesn't work with Windows 7 64 bit, only works with 32 bit. It scans my check just fine but it says it's not acceptable. The troubleshooting section says it does not work with 64 bit.
https://edeposit.penfed.org/WebCaptu...epositInfo.pdf

I've tried fooling around with Windows 7 compatibility mode and also tried using Internet Explorer. IE doesn't recognize that I have a scanner. Hmmmm.

I'd love to use this, has anyone else had any luck? I'm going to have to ask my son about the 64 bit vs 32 bit issue and see if this is possible for me.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If I had any checks to deposit, I would love the feature too.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

USAA has had something like this for quite a while, and I've used it several times with good success.

The one thing I know is a point of incompatibility is that if there's a 32-bit driver out there somewhere it won't work with 64-bit Windows. It might also be possible that you need to run the 32-bit version of the browser rather than the 64-bit version.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I just noticed this yesterday. It's on the right hand column in the "I Want To.." box.
I was pretty excited to read about it. I hate having to drive "all the way" (6.5 miles each way) to an ATM to deposit a $10 rebate check.

Then I realized that I'd need a PenFed ATM card or a PenFed checking account to make this come together. Otherwise I'd be depositing a check at PenFed and then... asking them to mail me a check or writing a check on my HELOC. Of course opening a PenFed checking account may be a lot easier than I realize, especially if I can use it to EFT money to my NFCU checking account.

I'm wondering if it's best to just e-mail NFCU and ask "Hey, PenFed and USAA seem to be able to do this. When do you pinheads plan to catch up?"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #5

Yeah, I don't have a PenFed checking either, just CDs and the rewards charge card. I don't deal with many checks anymore. Over the summer I get small weekly checks for my ushering gigs and then there's an occasional rebate check. Everything else is direct deposited. I just wanted to try this for the coolness factor. If I can get this to work I'll apply the deposit to the charge card.

My son is installing Vista on my computer in a Virtual Machine. So far it's taken about 2 hours. The other option would be to borrow DH's laptop (Windows 7, 32-bit) and plug the scanner into it. Right now that's sounding like a much simpler option but we're almost done with the Vista Service Pack.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:52 AM   #6

I've been doing this for a year with my USAA checking account, using their nifty little app on my iPhone.

I endorse the check when I receive it, then take a picture of front and back of check.

Approximately a minute after getting the check in my hand, it's deposited in my account, and I tear up the check and go on my way.

Slicker than seal snot.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:36 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'm wondering if it's best to just e-mail NFCU and ask "Hey, PenFed and USAA seem to be able to do this. When do you pinheads plan to catch up?"
I recently did just that. Every couple of months I ask them and they always say the same thing:

Navy Federal Response 06/19/2010 : Thank you for your interest in the Online Deposit Service. At this time, the program is still in a pilot phase and is consequently only available to a limited number of members. Members included in the pilot received personalized mailings with instructions. At the conclusion of the pilot, we will make a decision as to whether we will add the Online Deposit Service to our regular product line and expand eligibility to other members. Please note that with Online Deposit Services, members still need to mail in the check within seven calendar days (including holidays) of the date of the Online Deposit.

Navy Federal is pleased to announce that members can now make deposits at over 9,000 ATMs that are part of the CO-OP Network®. These include the 2,200 Vcom® ATMs in 7-Eleven® stores. The new deposit-taking ATMs can be located through the Branches/ATMs link at the top of our Home page. The locator has been updated to reflect the addition of these ATMs to the network. If you check the Deposit-Taking Only box, the locations will be displayed.

Please be aware that a five business day hold applies to all deposits made at non-Navy Federal ATMs. For more details, click on ATM Information at the top of the Branches/ATMs locator page, then click on More Info next to CO-OP® Network.

If you have further questions, please let us know.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:11 AM   #8

The results of my efforts last night were that nothing worked. Installing Vista on a Virtual Machine on my computer went just fine, and the PenFed application showed a lovely scan of the check but it says that it can't be read. Same error message that I got in Windows 7 64 bit. Just for the heck of it I also tried this on DHs laptop and I got the same error so I think maybe PenFed isn't quite ready with this or maybe it just won't work with me. It's ok, I pass our bank on the way to and from almost every errand I run. I just wanted the digital/instant/slickness of being able to do this from home in my pajamas.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I've been doing this for a year with my USAA checking account, using their nifty little app on my iPhone.

I endorse the check when I receive it, then take a picture of front and back of check.

Approximately a minute after getting the check in my hand, it's deposited in my account, and I tear up the check and go on my way.

Slicker than seal snot.

Not to be a fly in the process... but what if something goes wrong We do desktop depositing at our company... but keep the checks for a couple of weeks just to make sure. We did have a problem one time... before I got here so I don't know how it was fixed..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:18 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Not to be a fly in the process... but what if something goes wrong We do desktop depositing at our company... but keep the checks for a couple of weeks just to make sure. We did have a problem one time... before I got here so I don't know how it was fixed..
Same here. I file the checks away for a month or so before I shred them.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:22 AM   #11

My credit union offers 'online deposits' but one of the requirements for this function is to have online statements and I have enough transactions that I still want paper statements. If they relax that requirement, I'll try it...
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:05 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, I get that runaround too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Navy Federal is pleased to announce that members can now make deposits at over 9,000 ATMs that are part of the CO-OP Network®. These include the 2,200 Vcom® ATMs in 7-Eleven® stores. The new deposit-taking ATMs can be located through the Branches/ATMs link at the top of our Home page. The locator has been updated to reflect the addition of these ATMs to the network. If you check the Deposit-Taking Only box, the locations will be displayed.
Turns out that the NFCU ATM is closer, although it's on a military base. So the scanner-deposit feature would still seem to be the better deal.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 07-03-2010, 01:16 AM   #13

Vuescan includes 64-bit drivers for many scanners. Check the supported scanners list. I've heard if you just need a driver you can usually get away with installing the demo and using another scan program.

The Vuescan demo puts dollar signs all over any scans you make until you buy a license and enter the info. I bought the pro version to use my film scanner with Win 7 64-bit, have all the features and unlimited upgrades.

On the one hand this doesn't sound like a driver problem because you're seeing an image of the check. On the other hand maybe the 32-bit driver and 64-bit browser aren't speaking properly. It's worth a try I guess, especially at no cost.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #14

Thank you for the suggestion. I downloaded the demo of Vuescan and also the driver from HP for both Windows 7 and Vista. I still get the same results. It scans, looks great but the PenFed program says that it cannot be read.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #15

I use my Droid phone to deposit checks thru USAA. I don't get that many, but its better than mailing them, or trying to find a scanner to scan them.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

We got a second check in the mail this week, so yesterday we drove "all the way" (6.5 miles) to the base to deposit them. I guess it' s not too painful to swing by there every few weeks, especially considering the scanner problems that PenFed seems to be having.

But the real reason for our base trip was to visit the travel agency in the same building and buy our kid her one-way airplane ticket to Houston. 37 days and four hours to takeoff!

Deposit Anywhere Feature (Update?)
Old 09-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Deposit Anywhere Feature (Update?)

I was excited about using this feature, but I decided it wasn't worth opening another checking account.
Well, I just noticed it no longer requires a checking account. It now works (apparently) with regular savings or MM savings. I am anxious to try this, but probably won't actually have a check to deposit for awhile. I see that some members had difficulty using it with thier checking accounts, so hopefully they have sorted out those issues as well. Not sure when they made the change.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I read your follow-on posts but, as a larger matter, I gotta wonder: is NFCU feeling pressure from PenFed these days? Are they losing market share in the DC area to PenFed? It seems like PenFed is very aggressive on what they've been rolling out and their CD rates always seem just a smidge higher than NFCU's. I believe that up until a couple of years ago Navy folks were not in the "field of membership" for PenFed because they had their own CU (NFCU). But now that MOAA has made PenFed their partner institution and there is that Military Families Association, almost anyone can join PenFed.

I used to use the NFCU ATM in the 5-sided building that was located in the OPNAV part of the building. Seeing the way PenFed has been so aggressive, they probably have one closer now.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:22 PM   #19

During Kramer's long trips away from the USA, he has at times received a check in his USA mail. A couple of times the check was going to expire before Kramer's return. So Kramer came up with the Kramer's Mom method. Kramer has helped his Mom master his signature, complete with samples that are found in Kramer's Travel Kit that he provides for his Mom. Kramer forwards that check from his mailing service to his Mom. Mom then endorses it for Kramer and sends it via USA mail to Kramer's Bank for deposit. Mom has been happy to continue this service for the price of one steak dinner, paid for by Kramer, on each return visit.

Naturally, endorsing a check for someone else is a shady practice, which is why I am just telling you second hand what this Kramer character does.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I read your follow-on posts but, as a larger matter, I gotta wonder: is NFCU feeling pressure from PenFed these days? Are they losing market share in the DC area to PenFed? It seems like PenFed is very aggressive on what they've been rolling out and their CD rates always seem just a smidge higher than NFCU's. I believe that up until a couple of years ago Navy folks were not in the "field of membership" for PenFed because they had their own CU (NFCU). But now that MOAA has made PenFed their partner institution and there is that Military Families Association, almost anyone can join PenFed.

I used to use the NFCU ATM in the 5-sided building that was located in the OPNAV part of the building. Seeing the way PenFed has been so aggressive, they probably have one closer now.
I really don't think NFCU is feeling any heat. NFCU advertises widely on TV in the DC area and Hampton Roads is also a major demo area for them. They both adverstise in the Wash Post. Penfed retains a funky feel like an old school credit union if that makes any sense. Check all the hoopla over the difficult to navigate Penfed website and certificate reservatin offer, for example. I can drive to a Penfed outpost branch and when you go in, you MUST "take a number". They have different number series for teller and "other" services. I've never seen more than two customers in the branch, so I take a number.....take a seat....teller calls my number and I go to the window....very corny.