Join Early Retirement Today

Penfed helocs
Old 01-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Penfed helocs

Did anyone notice that PENFED raised their fixed and variable HELOC rates? Wonder what they know?

JDARNELL

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm moving toward closing on their earlier rate of 2.99, so I feel lucky!

Old 01-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #3

Their 60 months has been 2.99 forever. I just locked in about a 100K on their 5/5 ARM at 3.0%. I was going to pay the house off but at this rate for 5 yrs I can't bring myself to do it.

JDARNELL
Old 01-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wish they would raise their cd rates. Got some maturing next week.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDARNELL
Their 60 months has been 2.99 forever. I just locked in about a 100K on their 5/5 ARM at 3.0%. I was going to pay the house off but at this rate for 5 yrs I can't bring myself to do it.

JDARNELL
Im really tempted to do this Pen Fed 5/5 arm. Was it truly a " no cost"? I have never refinanced "off site" and they mentioned about sending the paper work to your lawyer, to close, which I do not have. Is that a cost I incur? Approximate cost to do that? I guess, Im looking at any expenses that I would truly have to pay for the Pen Fed 5/5 offer besides the escrow adjustments and interest for the month. How many "man hours" did you have to endure to complete the process? Thanks for anyone to respond if they have refinanced with PF.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

We traded our 4.5% mortgage for a Penfed 5-year conventional 2.99 HEL (not a HELOC or ARM). We do our own tax/insurance escrow, so those costs don't apply in our case. We applied on line and were credit-approved instantly. We used a notary at our home credit union for the paperwork. We paid the following fees:
  • $50.00 to the mortgage co. to process our payoff
  • $14.50 total for our CU to wire the payoff to the mortgage co, and for the mortgage co. to accept the wire.
  • PFCU also charges a lien release fee (currently $37.50), and if we were to pay off the HEL before 24 months have elapsed, PFCU will retroactively charge the closing costs to us. Naturally, we don't expect to incur that expense.
Now, here is the wrinkle: The whole procedure took almost two months - far longer than we expected. We are in MD, and PFCU's loan dept is in NE. Everything except the notarized papers, which we Fedexed to NE, went by U.S. mail, including PFCU's check to us. PFCU blamed the delays on those two sacred cows of all excuses, "The Holidays" (Columbus and Veteran's Days to be exact) and "The Post Office."

PFCU's check then had to sit in our credit union for a week before the CU would wire the funds to the mortgage co, so that delay cost us an additional $100.00 in mortgage interest. Yes, even though it was a check from another financial institution, the CU had to follow "procedure" and let it mellow for a while!

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Im really tempted to do this Pen Fed 5/5 arm. Was it truly a " no cost"? I have never refinanced "off site" and they mentioned about sending the paper work to your lawyer, to close, which I do not have. Is that a cost I incur? Approximate cost to do that? I guess, Im looking at any expenses that I would truly have to pay for the Pen Fed 5/5 offer besides the escrow adjustments and interest for the month. How many "man hours" did you have to endure to complete the process? Thanks for anyone to respond if they have refinanced with PF.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I did this on my previous house and it was pretty straight forward. My mom was in the hospital and they sent someone to have her sign the paperwork when she did hers.

I am expecting an hour or so to get the documents they need and then I am going to ask them to do a mail out or just send someone to the house. As for cost, I will have to pay title insurance for myself which is about 60% of the complete title insurance cost since we purchased in the last 5 yrs. I expect about $800 when it is all said and done.

JDARNELL