Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #21

Why are you being so cynical? I thought they were just trying to tell me how much they love me.

Yeah, I'm not surprised that they're feeling a bit desperate right now looking at all those big outflows.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2018, 10:19 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am not overly worried about EWPs. I never put money into a CD that I will need prior to maturity. Even if it was 6 months EWP on a 3%+ CD, I still would not take it out.

Perhaps they are anticipating rates soaring in the foreseeable future and want folks to stay at a lower rate? Either way one should review one's circumstances before buying a long term CD.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:22 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Yeah, I'm not surprised that they're feeling a bit desperate right now looking at all those big outflows.
They need to put their rates up then to make it worthwhile. I would re-invest mine if they were 4%+
Old 11-20-2018, 11:15 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Why don't have set up each certificate to automatically transfer when it matures?

"Close the certificate and transfer the funds to one of my accounts (select account below)"
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:30 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
Why don't have set up each certificate to automatically transfer when it matures?

"Close the certificate and transfer the funds to one of my accounts (select account below)"
Not so easy for registered funds moving to another institution. PenFed needs a hard signature. Perhaps it could be arranged in advance. But a few days here or there does not really make that much of a difference.

I just checked with Vanguard and they are not a bank so they have no routing number, so you cannot setup the auto transfer from PenFed to Vanguard. But there are no limits on either side when Vanguard initiates an ACH transfer.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:07 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

So if I want to move my matured Cds cash from Pen Fed Savings Acct to say BofAmerica or Ally, do I have to initiate a wire pulling money from the receiving bank? I need to figure this out soon. If I'm ultimately wanting to move it into 3 different banks, would it be easier to move it all into one bank (Ally, for example) and then separate and move from it from there?
Debinnov a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:27 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debinnov a View Post
So if I want to move my matured Cds cash from Pen Fed Savings Acct to say BofAmerica or Ally, do I have to initiate a wire pulling money from the receiving bank? I need to figure this out soon. If I'm ultimately wanting to move it into 3 different banks, would it be easier to move it all into one bank (Ally, for example) and then separate and move from it from there?

I have these accounts linked for online (ACH) transfers. Very easy. BOA is my central bank and all my other accounts are linked to this one. I have a few links between the other banks (eg Penfed and NFCU) so it might be easier to use BOA as an intermediary if final destination is not already linked to PenFed. I use Billpay to move funds out of BOA.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:37 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I am not overly worried about EWPs. I never put money into a CD that I will need prior to maturity. Even if it was 6 months EWP on a 3%+ CD, I still would not take it out.

Perhaps they are anticipating rates soaring in the foreseeable future and want folks to stay at a lower rate? Either way one should review one's circumstances before buying a long term CD.

+1. Ability to make partial withdrawals is more important to me than the EWP. If they don’t allow partials (like Ally), I just split them up. I’m getting a lot of emails without much to get excited about. I think it’s too early to write them off for not having a good rate to replace the 3% CDs. Plus I’m still holding some 5% CDs with 26 months to run.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:16 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debinnov a View Post
I use ACH transfers initiated outside of PenFed.

I tend to use my brokerage accounts as my “clearinghouse” and have links to all my banks and credit unions there. Fidelity is generally fast with ACH transfers and there are no associated fees nor limits on number of withdrawals per statement cycle month.

I use ACH to pull funds from PenFed, initiated from Fidelity. Then once the funds are available I would push them to whichever other accounts I wanted.

BofA charges for outgoing transfers, I think. Ally charges nothing.

But you do have to have external account links established for transfers at whichever institution you want want to control these ACH transfers.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:10 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

The CD transfer limit is $999,999
I think the $5k limit is just for transfers that you initiate through the website.
you need to have it automatically transferred, or you'll run into the 5k limits.
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:13 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
The CD transfer limit is $999,999
I think the $5k limit is just for transfers that you initiate through the website.
you need to have it automatically transferred, or you'll run into the 5k limits.
I have it all set up now, in order to not hit the limits of how much can be transferred out to Vanguard (with Vanguard pulling via ACH) we will need to do 3 separate transactions. This is not a problem as they are maturing at 3 separate times.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:31 AM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think I'm just going to keep it simple and have them send me a check. The small amount of interest lost over 5 to 7 days for the check to reach me isn't a big deal.
freedomatlast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:17 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
My tentative plan is to have the proceeds from my PenFed IRA CDs go into my Penfed IRA savings account when they mature and then initiate a transfer with Fido or Vanguard to have them draw the total from PenFed and deposit it in my Fido or Vanguard IRA. Make sense?
Has anyone done this with Penfed to Vanguard? What is the process? Do we contact Vanguard or PenFed first on this?

DH just had a small IRA CD at Penfed that matured and the proceeds went into his Penfed IRA savings account. He would like to move that money back to his existing IRA at Vanguard. What does he need to do accomplish this the easiest way?
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:44 PM   #34

The CDs in my PenFed IRA mature at the end of this week, at which point I’m going to initiate the transfer from Vanguard to get the funds back to my Vanguard IRA.

When I tentatively looked at this a month ago at Vanguard, it looks like it will be straightforward. But not having done it, who knows?

Like Katsmeow, I’d also be curious to know if anybody has already done this and if so, how well it went?

If not, I’ll update the thread as my transfer goes through.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:56 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I just completed the process a while ago. I initiated a transfer request with Fidelity... signed it... they send it to PenFed... PenFed sends a check to Fidelity and Fidelity deposited it to my account. In my case the amount was large enough that I paid $20 for PenFed to wire it... I had to call them and give them the wiring instructions and also transfer $20 to my regular PenFed savings account to cover the wiring fee.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:05 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I just completed the process a while ago. I initiated a transfer request with Fidelity... signed it... they send it to PenFed... PenFed sends a check to Fidelity and Fidelity deposited it to my account. In my case the amount was large enough that I paid $20 for PenFed to wire it... I had to call them and give them the wiring instructions and also transfer $20 to my regular PenFed savings account to cover the wiring fee.
This looks to be the same process with Vanguard. I initiated the roll-over on Vanguard's website Friday, which ended up with me having to print out the form and mail to to Vanguard. I mailed it the same day, so Vanguard should have it early next week, at which point they'll mail it to PenFed. I'm thinking it'll take a 2-3 weeks before the funds appear at Vanguard.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:12 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I didn't want to start a new thread about this, so I've resurrected this one.

I need to move ~$100K from PenFed to my personal checking account, and since I'm a cheapskate and there's not a pressing time limitation I decided to do the $5K/day ACH over the next month. So I did a couple, then tried to do one today (Sat.). I went through the process, hit submit, and PenFed dropped me back to my main accounts screen. I assumed the transfer went through, but when I checked the Pending Transfers tab it wasn't there. Long story short, I called to check on it and was told about various limitations shown earlier in this thread. When I questioned the lack of a failure message, the rep said "I'll mention it to the IT dept". But she couldn't tell me where I could read up on the limitations of the ACH.

I've never asked much of PenFed, but this was annoying as hell. Obviously I can do a Wire Transfer and pay the relatively minor costs, but I don't see why I have to pay them (and my bank) just to access my money quickly and easily. So I got on here and did a search and found loads more information than is easily available at PenFed. I'm in the process of setting up the ability to pull from my Vanguard account, which I can then push to my personal bank account. Soooo much easier than dealing with PenFed.

So I just wanted to say thanks. It's a rare situation when I can't find good information on this site.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:42 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
I think I'm just going to keep it simple and have them send me a check. The small amount of interest lost over 5 to 7 days for the check to reach me isn't a big deal.
Doesn't help you now.............but if you had a MMSA (money market savings acct) you could move the funds there and then write a MMSA check to deposit where you wish .
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:32 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Doesn't help you now.............but if you had a MMSA (money market savings acct) you could move the funds there and then write a MMSA check to deposit where you wish .
True, but that would require me to be within a reasonable distance of one of my financial institutions. When I get back down to FL I'm in walking distance, but not now. I assume you can do a mail deposit, but I've only ever deposited checks in person. This is easier for me.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:48 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
True, but that would require me to be within a reasonable distance of one of my financial institutions. When I get back down to FL I'm in walking distance, but not now. I assume you can do a mail deposit, but I've only ever deposited checks in person. This is easier for me.
Learn to do mobile deposit. That's what those of us without local banks do.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote