Join Early Retirement Today

penfed ques
Old 07-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

penfed ques

Hi, Just wanted to know if anyone is familiar with taking an auto loan with Penfed. I just applied and was approved for the 3.99 rate but they want 2 years of tax returns.I have excellent credit and never had to supply these items for a car loan before. Is this what is going on because of all the bank problems, or is it the norm for Penfed? I'm waiting to send anything in until I hear from one of you guys. Thanks, Jerry
CRABBY JERRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Must be the "bank problem" issue.

I got a truck loan in Nov. '07, and don't recall supplying tax info. I searched my email and can't see where I sent any of those attachments, but I may have snail-mailed it.

Must be getting more "cover-their-ass"-ish.

What do you have to hide?

-CC
Old 07-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRABBY JERRY View Post
Is this what is going on because of all the bank problems, or is it the norm for Penfed?
Our regional bank went to such lengths in order to comply with whatever national criteria exist for reselling the loan. That may be the same you're encountering with PenFed, although I can't imagine who'd want to buy a portfolio of car-loan derivatives...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I can't imagine who'd want to buy a portfolio of car-loan derivatives...
You'd be amazed.

Jerry, I got a car loan from them in 2005 and I don't believe they asked for tax info. However, that was then and this is now, and we may have very different personal situations. I would expect any lender to be a LOT more diligent now than a few years ago. Fool me a million times, shame on you; fool me a million and one times, shame on me.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting...I just got the same loan through PenFed about 3 months ago and all they asked for was my military pay statement, checked my credit and that was it.
LeBlanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like an error to me. I just got an education loan from Penfed. I applied online and got approved within 24 hrs. A day later I received what i thought was the promissory note to be signed and returned prior to disbursement. To my surprise, the check for the loan proceeds was also included.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
You'd be amazed.
Yeah, after five years here I should stop saying that.

So is there a regulatory agency (like the FHA) or 800-pound buyer who sets the due-diligence standards for car loans? Or do most financial institutions hold their own (so to speak)?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:21 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Yeah, after five years here I should stop saying that.

So is there a regulatory agency (like the FHA) or 800-pound buyer who sets the due-diligence standards for car loans? Or do most financial institutions hold their own (so to speak)?

No regulatory agency I am aware of sets car loan standards, at least not directly. Banks have to adhere to bank regulations about sound lending; nonbank lenders can do what they want or what the securitization market will put up with. A lot of car loans get held on balance sheet by the lenders. However, there is still a (sort of) functioning market for prime auto loan securitizations. Subprime auto and other flavors are pretty much balance sheet only.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all the replies. Maybe the problem is that I'm not in the military and had to join an association to participate in their programs.I only joined because I have read that many of you have used them.I think they did say that they needed the tax papers since this is my first loan with them.Thanks again for the responces, Jerry
Old 07-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRABBY JERRY View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Maybe the problem is that I'm not in the military and had to join an association to participate in their programs.I only joined because I have read that many of you have used them.I think they did say that they needed the tax papers since this is my first loan with them.Thanks again for the responces, Jerry
They put me through the wringer last year when applying for a mortgage. I eventually showed them I had the assets on hand to pay off the mortgage 2 or 3 times over, and further that our annual household income was greater than the total mortgage amount. I put all of this in a strongly worded letter I wrote to appeal the initial denials of the loan.

Needless to say, Penfed was (is?) more diligent in vetting their credit risk than most mainstream banks.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I guess they are going to the other extreme.Wish they all did a little more fact checking the last few years before all the crazy loans were given to people that had no means to repay them.