Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Pension Lump Sum Roth IRA
Old 11-30-2007, 05:00 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Pension Lump Sum Roth IRA

A few years ago, Megacorp ended our defined benefit pension plan and switched everyone over to a 401K plan. However, if you were vested in the plan, they calculated what your balance would have been at the time the plan ended. In short, I have around $30K waiting for me.
I am pulling the plug at the end of the year. At that time, I can choose to take a lump sum or there are a variety of payout options. My question is this: can I take the lump sum, pay the taxes, and put the entire amount into a Roth IRA or am I subject to the Roth limits? I know I can roll over the entire amount into my regular IRA and defer the tax. I've looked at the FAQs and did some searches but couldn't find an answer. Thanks in advance.
tomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2007, 09:17 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomz View Post
My question is this: can I take the lump sum, pay the taxes, and put the entire amount into a Roth IRA or am I subject to the Roth limits? .
I believe you would roll your pension lump sum into a rollover IRA and then convert that to a Roth IRA, paying ordinary income taxes on the amount you roll over.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:28 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the reply. I did some digging on this and found that starting in 2008, you will be able to do direct rollovers from a 401k to a Roth IRA without having to go through the extra paperwork of first putting the funds into a regular IRA.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:54 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomz View Post
Thanks for the reply. I did some digging on this and found that starting in 2008, you will be able to do direct rollovers from a 401k to a Roth IRA without having to go through the extra paperwork of first putting the funds into a regular IRA.
That sounds like a change for the better! Gets you to the same place, but without the intermediate step.

While you were looking, did you notice if you still have to meet the income requirement for that type of direct transfer?
Old 11-30-2007, 11:14 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
While you were looking, did you notice if you still have to meet the income requirement for that type of direct transfer?
Yes. You still have to meet the income requirement.

Tags
ira