Join Early Retirement Today

Pension Options
Old 06-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Pension Options

Need guidance on deciding between the following (no COLA) pension options:

$50,200 per year for life, or
$60,400 lump sum plus $46,000 for life.

Based on employer financial strength, future prospects, etc. I consider the pension very secure, but realize there are no guarantees.

The pension will not be the only income source in retirement. There will also be a rolled-over 401K of about $700,000 and Social Security and approximately $200,000 after-tax investments.

Assume retiring right now. What factors should I be considering to decide between these pension options?

Thanks.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

So the marginal is $4,200 a year for $60,400 = 7%. How old are you? My gut reaction is take the $$$ upfront.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie79 View Post

Assume retiring right now. What factors should I be considering to decide between these pension options?
Basically you are buying another $4,200 in annual income for about $60,000. Since you are fairly certain the pension and your employer are secure, that wouldn't enter much into this decision as it may for people who work for companies like Enron and GM.

Your age, health and genetics may influence this decision. Is a non-COLA'd lifetime $4200 annual income stream worth $60,400 in current dollars?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie79 View Post
Need guidance on deciding between the following (no COLA) pension options:

Based on employer financial strength, future prospects, etc. I consider the pension very secure, but realize there are no guarantees.

The pension will not be the only income source in retirement. There will also be a rolled-over 401K of about $700,000 and Social Security and approximately $200,000 after-tax investments.

Thanks.
I guess it depends on your age and longevity estimates. You can probably get better than $4,200/yr. on an annuity depending upon your age. Check out Vanguard for an estimate.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets

Let's say age: 62.
Health: average.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #6

I just looked at an SPIA from Berkshire Hathaway to put in the information for a female born on 1/1/1947 with no survivor income. The idea is to see how much income you can buy in an immediate annuity costing $60,400:

EZ quote

With a $60,400 investment, it currently says you can get $353 a month for life -- that's $4,236 a year for life, which is VERY close to the $4,200 a year extra you'd get by not taking the lump sum. So it sounds like your pension plan did its homework from an actuarial standpoint.

There may not be a clear-cut right or wrong answer. If you took the smaller pension with a lump sum, what would you expect to do with the money?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #7

Another thing to think about is, if you were concerned about your employer being around to pay up, or that your full pension amount is not covered by the government, an annuity might help you diversify. Most states cover up to $100,000 in annuities (and some more). However, you will have to do some investigating to get answers to the above.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:02 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'd take the $50,000 per year, and live on the $46,000 plus other income at least for the first few years- say until Medicare kicks in.

Try running the scenarios in FireCalc and see what that does for you.

And don't forget about planning for the taxes!
Old 06-13-2009, 11:56 AM   #9

Would it be better if he did not take the lump sum because of taxes? Sophie79 what tax bracket are you in?
Old 06-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Without analysis my gut reaction is to take the higher pension. Bizlady has a good suggestion. And taxes could be a consideration either way.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
Would it be better if he did not take the lump sum because of taxes? Sophie79 what tax bracket are you in?
Most people would do a direct rollover to their IRA.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
Another thing to think about is, if you were concerned about your employer being around to pay up, or that your full pension amount is not covered by the government, an annuity might help you diversify. Most states cover up to $100,000 in annuities (and some more). However, you will have to do some investigating to get answers to the above.
This is well worth considering imho. Ziggy already indicated that you can probably get an annuity to provide the $4,200 difference so a bit of diversification is well worth looking into.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:32 PM   #13

Yet another strategy to consider (nothings ever easy). If you do not need the additional income, you could take the lump sum and roll it directly into your IRA and buy TIPS (try to get 2.5% real). This would protect that amount from inflation (which many believe is going to rear its ugly head in the future). Then at some point when rates are higher buy an annuity to bolster your pension. When I say "annuity" my recommendation would be a SPIA.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I just looked at an SPIA from Berkshire Hathaway to put in the information for a female born on 1/1/1947 with no survivor income. The idea is to see how much income you can buy in an immediate annuity costing $60,400:

EZ quote

With a $60,400 investment, it currently says you can get $353 a month for life -- that's $4,236 a year for life, which is VERY close to the $4,200 a year extra you'd get by not taking the lump sum. So it sounds like your pension plan did its homework from an actuarial standpoint.
Great analysis. I would take the $$ upfront and either invest or buy annuity.

Even if the annuity plus lower pension is equal - there's a "diversification value" to splitting the income streams.

Call me a pessimist, but I think these DB pensions have more risk than people believe.