Join Early Retirement Today

Pension Survivor benefits
Old 02-25-2006, 08:22 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Pension Survivor benefits

I've searched the boards and haven't found a discussion on survivor benefits... and advice .
My question is are the worth it?
Basicly SO is eligble to Retiring Early from fed gov with a combined* CSRS & FIRS Pension. I know we need to keep at least a partial Survivor benefit so I can always have healthcare, but some have mention we might be better off buying life insurance with the addition deduction money?* We will be able to live fairly high on the hog as they say, but I'll be just ok (and very sad) if he leaves this world early on half his pension +investments

Any thoughts
5j404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Pension Survivor benefits
Old 02-25-2006, 09:40 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi 5j404,

This depends completely on the individual case. If you knew when you and your spouse were going to die, you could run the numbers and figure it out. Since you don't know that, you have to deal not only with the financial side of the decision, but also with the emotional side. What will make you feel secure? A strategy that plays the financial odds but leaves you uncomfortable isn't a good strategy.

sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 05:52 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Here is one thread that talked about pension options regarding survivor benefits: http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=3463.0

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:14 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Martha that was just the kind of thread I was looking for.
5j404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:35 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

5j404 -

Don't know about FERS survivor-benefit rules since I retired under CSRS rules.* Under the CSRS rules, the retiree who chooses a full survivor benefit does so at a cost of a smige under 10%; that gives the survivor 55% of a non-survivor-benefit retiree's annuity or about 61% of the gross of one who chooses the full-survivor benefit.

When I started to plan in earnest for retirement, I looked at the 10% hit and started to look for alternatives including term, whole life insurance and annuities to cover the 55% of pension annuity.* The least costly alternative was term insurance, but, at my age of 60,* 10-20 year guaranteed term was also a pretty big cost hit and renewal costs would increase significantly.* Finally, we chose to take the 10% hit to the annuity to assure that DW would receive continuing health care and 61% of my cola'ed pension.

Best regards

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:53 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I retired under CSRS and looked at the term life insurance costs versus the reduction in pension for max. survivor annuity. I couldn't find guarenteed premium term insurance that went out far enough to suit me so I opted for the max. survivor benefit. The other deciding factor was that there is a finite risk that any particular insurance company will go under or otherwise not pay off on a policy. There is little such risk that Uncle Sam will not pay the survivor benefit.

Grumpy
Old 02-27-2006, 03:11 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

We went through all the research last summer. My husband and I decided to go for an unmodified allowance. I will obtain 60% of my DH's pension if he dies. There were about five different options so it all was confusing in the beginning, but you just have to weed through all the paperwork. Good luck!
Old 02-27-2006, 03:18 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
I* retired under CSRS and looked at the term life insurance costs versus the reduction in pension for max. survivor annuity.* I couldn't find guarenteed premium term insurance that went out far enough to suit me so I opted for the max. survivor benefit.* The other deciding factor was that there is a finite risk that any particular insurance company will go under or otherwise not pay off on a policy.* There is little such risk that Uncle Sam will not pay the survivor benefit.

* Grumpy
Just a follow-up on grumpy's insurance comment: there are now very competitively priced universal life policies that are "guaranteed no loapse" as long as you pay the specified premium, which can be quite low. These policies are nominally permanent life insurance but tend to build up little or no cash value and they are effectively fixed premium term policies for life (i.e. they don't expire after a fixed time period as long as you pay the no-lapse premium). Some of these policies are very attractively priced, so anyone having to make the pension decision should probably look at them. Just be aware that they will not be called a term policy.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:03 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5j404
I've searched the boards and haven't found a discussion on survivor benefits... and advice .
My question is are the worth it?
Basicly SO is eligble to Retiring Early from fed gov with a combined CSRS & FIRS Pension. I know we need to keep at least a partial Survivor benefit so I can always have healthcare,

Does the plan allow SO's the same benefit as a spouse? I am single but living with someone, I never considered if this would be an option. His job isn't government but he is in a union, I guess I have to find out, but still might not ask him since it would cost him money for me to benefit.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote