Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-22-2016, 06:18 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
Bzzz. Nope. Not suggesting that at all.

See last sentence. "could be the case of voters going short term gain today and I'll be dead before any pain tomorrow. Usually takes quite awhile before things ever get bad anywhere..."

Didn't take very long in Venezuela for things to go to **** with the short term focus.
Depends on your definition of long. For a politician 5-10 good years with high oil prices is plenty of time to get in, get rich, and get out. For someone investing for the future or looking at 30-40 years working... not so much.
Greencheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2016, 06:19 AM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
Bzzz. Nope. Not suggesting that at all.

See last sentence. "could be the case of voters going short term gain today and I'll be dead before any pain tomorrow. Usually takes quite awhile before things ever get bad anywhere..."

Didn't take very long in Venezuela for things to go to **** with the short term focus.
Not suggesting that a second time? What has happened in Venezuela has no bearing on Japan, so it's not clear why you bring it up again. One thing for sure, however, it certainly did take a very long time to evolve. There is lots of rich history in that story, which is still evolving.

If you want to discuss Venezuela and early retirement I would suggest a separate thread on that topic, so we can keep this one on Japan, it's elderly population and the Finance Minister.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:01 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Being a natural born saver, I do not blame the Japanese. I love getting something on a deal, and with negative interest rates and deflation, delaying spending means stuff will be cheaper next month.

If we get deflation here, I'm sure you will see it happen too.

Of course an older person can only play that game so long...
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:45 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

The grim fact is that you can throw all the money you want, but the supply of transplant organs is only as big as the supply of donorcycle accidents and such. So if you are over 75, the organ, not the operation, is what will be rationed - and most likely not in your favor.

My dear SIL died of liver disease in her late 60's, despite Medicare and TRICARE coverage, because there never seemed to be a liver when she needed one. And then she became too sick for the surgery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
A So, those of us wanting a kidney transplant after 75 might do well to set $175K aside for such an eventuality. Non-covered medical expenses may help you spend down your assets very quickly and "solve" this "problem."

What's really funny is that the same folks now criticizing the "old" people for living so long will very soon be old themselves (it happens faster than any 30 year old can conceive.)
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:34 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The grim fact is that you can throw all the money you want, but the supply of transplant organs is only as big as the supply of donorcycle accidents and such. So if you are over 75, the organ, not the operation, is what will be rationed - and most likely not in your favor.

My dear SIL died of liver disease in her late 60's, despite Medicare and TRICARE coverage, because there never seemed to be a liver when she needed one. And then she became too sick for the surgery.
I don't think we are very far away from being able to clone organs. Well everything except the brain.....

Once we can transplant cloned organs we all may live to 100+
Old 06-23-2016, 10:42 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I don't think we are very far away from being able to clone organs. Well everything except the brain.....

Once we can transplant cloned organs we all may live to 100+

China is catching all kinds of hell, because some doctors there are seriously considering trying to attempt a head transplant from a paralyzed person to another body. Medical community not pleased and think chances of successful operation are about nil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:00 AM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
China is catching all kinds of hell, because some doctors there are seriously considering trying to attempt a head transplant from a paralyzed person to another body. Medical community not pleased and think chances of successful operation are about nil.
Well ya, everybody knows you can't do a head transplant. Now, a full body transplant is something else - that's what they should have announced.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:09 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Shouldn't be a problem, you just have to hook up those neck electrodes correctly and make sure the lightning rods on the tower and the wiring is good, start up the jacob's ladders and wait for a good storm.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:18 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Well ya, everybody knows you can't do a head transplant. Now, a full body transplant is something else - that's what they should have announced.

I assume that term is used interchangeably? Sounds creepy... But if I only had a noggin with no use of a body, I would do it and hopefully die on the table if it didnt work.
https://www.rt.com/news/343207-head-...anavero-china/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:40 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I was away at the time, so missed this interesting thread. Japan's geriatric problems are of interest to me, because they are at the forefront of it, and other countries are watching to learn to deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Simple solution with a one-word revision to the IRS laws: Change RMD (Required Minimum Distribution) to RMS (Required Minimum Spending).
Or allowing only a nominal amount to be passed by inheritance at death. Seeing that the surplus money will get confiscated, people will either spend it, or pass on to heirs earlier. The kiddos will more likely spend it, stimulating the economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

A British movie titled "Never Let Me Go" portrays a future where people clone themselves in order to harvest organs later. Grim movie based on a highly acclaimed novel of the same title.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:16 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I fell off my perch laughing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Shouldn't be a problem, you just have to hook up those neck electrodes correctly and make sure the lightning rods on the tower and the wiring is good, start up the jacob's ladders and wait for a good storm.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:07 AM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by I was misinformed View Post
Top Japanese political leaders including vice Prime Minister Aso have recently expressed some rather extreme views suggesting old folks have no business living so long and hanging onto their money:
Sounds like my relatives.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote