Join Early Retirement Today

Perceived social obligation to spend retiree assets
Old 06-20-2016, 06:35 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Perceived social obligation to spend retiree assets

Top Japanese political leaders including vice Prime Minister Aso have recently expressed some rather extreme views suggesting old folks have no business living so long and hanging onto their money:

In fresh shot at elderly, Aso asks: 'How much longer do you intend to keep living?' | The Japan Times

The implications of such thinking could be enormous. No doubt these views resonate with elements of US political leadership (I recall 25 years ago John Silber, a prominent candidate for Massachusetts governor, made similar comments). As it becomes clearer (perhaps) that our basic economic problem is lack of demand, I wonder if there could be some real policy proposals (beyond say confiscation of retirement assets) that could encourage spending of retirement assets? Does any of this make macroeconomic sense?
I was misinformed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2016, 09:23 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

He just needs to be a bit more patient. If they are like people I know, that next generation will "get the Yen circulating" once it is bequeathed to them. My 86 year old neighbor would be offended by that, though. He just nailed another hole in one today. That will keep up his desire to stay above ground a few more years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:16 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I suppose he has found the fountain of youth, or is even stupider than most folks realize, as he too will age.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:13 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

He needs to be careful what he says . In just about all democracies the older folks vote more than younger

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-21-2016, 04:21 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Most old folks will spend large amounts in the final years of life. It just won't be on consumer goods. So maybe the politicians need to support the building of more old-folks' homes, services for elderly, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I was misinformed View Post
Top Japanese political leaders including vice Prime Minister Aso have recently expressed some rather extreme views suggesting old folks have no business living so long and hanging onto their money:
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:32 AM   #6

Amazon is the only one in my life doing a good job of getting me to spend the money. I think it's because their style is a bit flirtatious.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:06 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

September 19 would be the perfect occasion for this sound bite. No silver sakazuki for you!
dunkelblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:58 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I hope to avoid any such scrutiny by spending lavishly.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:01 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
... My 86 year old neighbor would be offended by that, though. He just nailed another hole in one today. ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
that's great! my neighbor shot his age at 84 - he turned 89 this month
SJ1_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:27 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I think they are having some serious economic problems relating to lack of immigration and zero population growth combined with an aging population. We will be there soon.

Still, that's no reason to beat up on the elderly.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Most old folks will spend large amounts in the final years of life. It just won't be on consumer goods. So maybe the politicians need to support the building of more old-folks' homes, services for elderly, etc.
I don't know how they do it in Japan but when they give me guaranteed money, and guaranteed health care, and guaranteed assisted living, and guaranteed nursing home care, all of high quality, and guarantee that I won't go broke, then I'll start spending for more "kicks" in the here-and-now. Until they do I'll have to save my money for such contingencies. Life, as the saying goes, is about choices
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:51 PM   #12

Well maybe if the Finance Minister et al (past and present) hadn't so screwed up Japan's economy/market, and retirees felt confident, and could earn a positive return on safe investments instead of negative yields, then they'd feel safer spending instead of saving for an insecure future.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:17 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Anyone recall the discussions of "Death Panels" in OB care? The "name" was accurately denied. But close reading of the fine print all but verified the concept IIRC. So, those of us wanting a kidney transplant after 75 might do well to set $175K aside for such an eventuality. Non-covered medical expenses may help you spend down your assets very quickly and "solve" this "problem."

What's really funny is that the same folks now criticizing the "old" people for living so long will very soon be old themselves (it happens faster than any 30 year old can conceive.)

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:21 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Simple solution with a one-word revision to the IRS laws: Change RMD (Required Minimum Distribution) to RMS (Required Minimum Spending).
Old 06-21-2016, 03:29 PM   #15

I feel more of a social obligation to not run out of money before I die.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:25 AM   #16
gone traveling

Let's not forget the Japanese savings rate is far higher than that of the USA savings rate. Also Much of the wealth in Japan's silver generation is locked up in the form of real estate too.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:58 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I read on CNN sometime ago that Japan does have problems with the older generations voting detrimental policies that cause a lot of harm to younger citizens. Not sure how true that is but it could be the case of voters going short term gain today and I'll be dead before any pain tomorrow. Usually takes quite awhile before things ever get bad anywhere...
Greencheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:37 AM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencheese View Post
I read on CNN sometime ago that Japan does have problems with the older generations voting detrimental policies that cause a lot of harm to younger citizens. Not sure how true that is but it could be the case of voters going short term gain today and I'll be dead before any pain tomorrow. Usually takes quite awhile before things ever get bad anywhere...

Webster's See: Venezuela.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:44 AM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
Webster's See: Venezuela.
If you're suggesting that anything happening in Venezuela has any significance at all with anything that might happen in Japan, I disagree.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:55 AM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
If you're suggesting that anything happening in Venezuela has any significance at all with anything that might happen in Japan, I disagree.

Bzzz. Nope. Not suggesting that at all.

See last sentence. "could be the case of voters going short term gain today and I'll be dead before any pain tomorrow. Usually takes quite awhile before things ever get bad anywhere..."

Didn't take very long in Venezuela for things to go to **** with the short term focus.