Periodic Table of Asset Class Results for 2007

samclem

Moderator Emeritus
The latest Callen Periodic Table of asset classes has been published with 2006 results.

http://www.callan.com/resource/periodic_table/pertbl.pdf

The table doesn't include REITs, but here's a similar table from Allianz which includes REITS (it covers only 1996-2005). The REIT return for 2006 was approx 35%, pretty darn good in anybody's book.

For those who want to try to pick the 2007 winners--get out your darts!

Moderator edit: shortened URL.

samclem said:
For those who want to try to pick the 2007 winners--get out your darts!

Moderator edit: shortened URL.

or you can blindly follow the forecast of economists: emerging markets (esp. China), large growth, another good year for REITs.

I liked the Alliance chart the best, since it included a few more asset classes and it's much easier to read.

Any idea when they will have the updated version for 2006?

Audrey

P.S. Isn't it interesting how asset classes seem to do well for a few years in a row then abruptly spring to the low side. This makes it real tough on timing!

Yep - REITs haven't been on the negative side since 1999!

it's "interesting" to see the "run" of large cap growth and bonds ...

mickeyd said:
Market timers will certainly see this as a sign to bail on Value and Foreign stocks and "growth it up."

If only it were that easy, huh? :-\
I gotta admit, I see a chart like this and want to make bets. The thinking is just one step removed from "technical analysis" of stocks. "Here the stock price has formed the classic double-dip bottom preceded by Mahllbury stumble step. A clear buying opportunty."

Do also note that on a number of occasions, losers kept losing and winners kept winning for a year or two or three.

Good luck hitting the right turning point.

samclem said:
I gotta admit, I see a chart like this and want to make bets. The thinking is just one step removed from "technical analysis" of stocks. "Here the stock price has formed the classic double-dip bottom preceded by Mahllbury stumble step. A clear buying opportunty."
Oh, well, hey, if you want to switch from being a dirty market timer to an authentic momentum investor, try Pony Express Bob's website...

Back
Top Bottom