Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
I agree, it is an excellent fund.
So you always keep an excess of 20 funds? 5% into 100=20.
Yes, > 20, although I don't advocate this for others. My port is made up of funds, etfs, stocks and CDs. At some point I will probably do some consolidation.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I think this is an excellent fund that would fit in most portfolios and can be purchased at any point in time and held. I hold it and it represents about 5% on my port, but wish I had been holding more, however, I try not to exceed 5% in any specific fund/eft/stock.
So you have over 20 funds?

PRPFX may perform well, but the 0.82 expense ratio isn't in it's favour, and why would anyone hold it in their after tax portfolio. It can't be the most tax efficient fund.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post

PRPFX may perform well, but the 0.82 expense ratio isn't in it's favour, and why would anyone hold it in their after tax portfolio. It can't be the most tax efficient fund.
Can't he hold whatever funds he wants? You're starting to sound like a compensated spokesperson for Vanguard Funds!!!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude

Can't he hold whatever funds he wants? You're starting to sound like a compensated spokesperson for Vanguard Funds!!!
Certainly, there's no limit to the number of funds you can own. If you want to slice and dice it might even be sensible. But most people with 20 funds have arrived there very "organically" and will have significant duplication of asset classes. No compensation from VG, just a happy customer. The tax efficiency point is still valid.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDown View Post
My taxable portfolio is 50% PRPFX. Of my total portfolio it is about 15%. I add to my taxable portfolio every two weeks and that means continually buying PRPFX. I do a semi value averging thing in this account with another conservative mutual fund (OAKBX). My goal is to keep both funds at the same value and that means adding more to the one that has dropped the most or gained the least at my time of investment.
Hmmm! Same two funds I own in a taxable brokerage account (everything else in there is individual stocks). I add to my positions in the funds in the same amount at the same time, and the new funds come from accumulated dividends from the stocks.

Based on suggestions on these forums, though, I will probably eventually sell and move these holdings into a Roth brokerage account down the road (after FIRE). One wrinkle is that OAKBX, last I heard, is closed to new accounts, so may have to work around that.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:10 AM   #26

Quote:
Certainly, there's no limit to the number of funds you can own. If you want to slice and dice it might even be sensible. But most people with 20 funds have arrived there very "organically" and will have significant duplication of asset classes. No compensation from VG, just a happy customer. The tax efficiency point is still valid.
I am fine with my portfolio composition, overlap and cost. As to PRPFX, I view it as an alternative investment as it tends to do reasonably well under most market conditions.

If you choose to place your bets using a Vanguard indexed approach, great, but I have decided on using a combination of indexes, active MFs, individual stocks and different managers, plus several alt investments. Also, I am a singles hitter, not trying to hit it out of the park, and preservation is more important to me than growth.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #27

Quote:
As to PRPFX, I view it as an alternative investment as it tends to do reasonably well under most market conditions.
I think only 25% of this fund is considered "alternative" -- the gold or precious metals portion.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
I think only 25% of this fund is considered "alternative" -- the gold or precious metals portion.
Just to clarify, I personally view the fund as alt investment, others may classify it differently. It invests a fixed target percentage of its net assets in gold, silver, Swiss franc assets, stocks of U.S. and foreign real estate and natural resource companies, aggressive growth stocks, and fixed-income assets like treasuries.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:56 PM   #29

Quote:
Just to clarify, I personally view the fund as alt investment, others may classify it differently. It invests a fixed target percentage of its net assets in gold, silver, Swiss franc assets, stocks of U.S. and foreign real estate and natural resource companies, aggressive growth stocks, and fixed-income assets like treasuries.
You can call PRPFX as an alternative investment if you insist. The Overall Portfolio Composition (%) is:
cash: 14.14
Stocks: 29.55
Bonds: 30.71
Other: 25.60

Stocks, bonds and cash, by definition, are traditional asset types. Only 25.6% is considered "Alternative".
Old 04-21-2011, 08:01 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
You can call PRPFX as an alternative investment if you insist. The Overall Portfolio Composition (%) is:
cash: 14.14
Stocks: 29.55
Bonds: 30.71
Other: 25.60

Stocks, bonds and cash, by definition, are traditional asset types. Only 25.6% is considered "Alternative".

I'm not insisting on anyone considering this to be an alt investment, I just said I did. Here is some more info on the fund if anyone is interested:
http://www.permanentportfoliofunds.com/pdfs/perm/PRPFX.pdf

You can see the actual allocation there. I would guess that even a purist would consider the swiss franc holdings to also be alt.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:11 AM   #31

Quote:

PRPFX may perform well, but the 0.82 expense ratio isn't in it's favour
All that matters is performance after fees (and taxes if held in a taxable account). Focusing on the "expense ratio" number in a vacuum without proper context (using it in conjunction with total return) may be the hard-core Bogleheaded thing to do, but IMO (again, unless you're Bogleheaded enough to think its long term performance is just "luck" because there's no such thing as consistent market-beating returns) it's not the optimal way to analyze a mutual fund.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:51 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
All that matters is performance after fees (and taxes if held in a taxable account). Focusing on the "expense ratio" number in a vacuum without proper context (using it in conjunction with total return) may be the hard-core Bogleheaded thing to do, but IMO (again, unless you're Bogleheaded enough to think its long term performance is just "luck" because there's no such thing as consistent market-beating returns) it's not the optimal way to analyze a mutual fund.
You got me, I'm a hard-core indexer. I stopped comparing the returns of funds and chasing return a long time ago and just decided on an AA and set that up with a small number of index funds. My blood pressure has stayed low thorough the ups and downs. I have no interest in beating the market or doing anything to get greater return than the indexes I follow will generate. This is enormously liberating. My ER plan does not require large gains so I will leave those for other people to catch. The time and worry I save are worth more than any fleeting positive alpha or market beating returns. Rebalancing had me buying stocks at 6000 and now I have to keep selling equities. I have no idea where the peak is, but I've already taken a lot out of this market cycle.