Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is your personality type?
Analysts - INTJ 106 47.53%
Analysts - INTP 17 7.62%
Analysts - ENTJ 12 5.38%
Analysts - ENTP 5 2.24%
Diplomats - INFJ 8 3.59%
Diplomats - INFP 13 5.83%
Diplomats - ENFJ 8 3.59%
Diplomats - ENFP 4 1.79%
Sentinels - ISTJ 28 12.56%
Sentinels - ISFJ 5 2.24%
Sentinels - ESTJ 3 1.35%
Sentinels - ESFJ 1 0.45%
Explorers - ISTP 8 3.59%
Explorers - ISFP 3 1.35%
Explorers - ESTP 1 0.45%
Explorers - ESFP 1 0.45%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

INTJ Engineer. Father and his father were engineers, as are DS and DD. I'm not sure what MB tests would show on any of them, but I've always found it interesting to analyze who got what from whom in terms of personality traits. Will say that I worked hard at being a more tolerant open person than DF, haven't been totally successful but I try. DW added enough non-engineer DNA to the kids that they actually seem pretty well adjusted!
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At the end of the test, one should note how strong each of the 4 indicators is. I am INTJ, but only the I and N are strong. I may repeat the test in another day and come out INTP. And I understand that ambivalence.

Following is the description of the 4 dichotomies.

Favorite world: Do you prefer to focus on the outer world or on your own inner world? This is called Extraversion (E) or Introversion (I).

Information: Do you prefer to focus on the basic information you take in or do you prefer to interpret and add meaning? This is called Sensing (S) or Intuition (N).

Decisions: When making decisions, do you prefer to first look at logic and consistency or first look at the people and special circumstances? This is called Thinking (T) or Feeling (F).

Structure: In dealing with the outside world, do you prefer to get things decided or do you prefer to stay open to new information and options? This is called Judging (J) or Perceiving (P).

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:59 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
There's one of the sixteen categories where your typical axe murder lands...I forgot which one. All I know is that it wasn't any of the common ones (obviously).
ESTP is the one I have seen listed as the most common personality for serial killers. While it is not one of the most common, it is middle of the pack. (4-5% in US are estimated to be ESTP) This personality type is also common among leaders like Churchill and Kennedy.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:55 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

I also tested as ISTJ, The Inspector. I was a little disappointed to be categorized as a Sentinel rather than an Analyst as I take pride in being an engineer. But since I work for the federal government with responsibility for enforcing safety regulations, ISTJ seems to fit.
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:09 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I was a little disappointed to be categorized as a Sentinel rather than an Analyst as I take pride in being an engineer.
What you can do is look around for other tests, there are lots of them online now, almost all are free. Then when you find one that gives the results you want you'll be fine.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:12 PM   #66
Dryer sheet aficionado

This is a fascinating thread. The overwhelming predominance of introverts in general and INTJs in particular is amazing. As an ENTJ, this thread raises a few questions for me.

First, is an introverted personality more likely to make someone *want* to retire early? Are introverts somehow more strongly motivated to get out of the workplace as soon as possible?

Secondly, is the focus on the introvert/extrovert split the most important factor? 68% of the respondents are NTs. Are the analytical skills and discipline of the NT personalities what makes the majority of the folks who responded here *capable* of ER? Could it be that almost everyone really wants to FIRE--the NTs are most likely to have the skills to pull it off.

Lastly, and most importantly to me as an extrovert who's 71 days from retiring, are introverts more likely to be happy in ER? Reading about the requirements of a successful retirement is a minor hobby for me. Fairly consistently I read that, in addition to FI, one must pay attention to health and fitness, intellectual stimulation, and have a healthy network of friends and family. Most of my friends over the years have come from my work. This is the one area I'm worried about in retirement. Are introverts happier in retirement because they don't *need* as many social interactions. I'm not suggesting that I's on a MBPT are hermits hiding from all social interaction. But I wonder if they have have a stronger immune system against feelings of social isolation?
Old 10-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #67

Quote:
Are introverts somehow more strongly motivated to get out of the workplace as soon as possible?
I pegged the "I" at 96% introverted. (I call it 'morbidly introverted') My observation over the years is: It is not possible to earn any kind of a living without excessive, pointless, unnecessary human contact.

When The Student is ready, The Master will appear. It's always useful to have analytical abilities but I didn't think the connecting of the dots required to retire early required a lot of analytical power. I wanted it. I needed it. Ergo, it knocked on my door and I recognized it.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:39 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatCyclist View Post
This is a fascinating thread. The overwhelming predominance of introverts in general and INTJs in particular is amazing. As an ENTJ, this thread raises a few questions for me.
That's the analyst coming out.

Quote:
First, is an introverted personality more likely to make someone *want* to retire early? Are introverts somehow more strongly motivated to get out of the workplace as soon as possible?
I'm not sure if introverts as a group would want to retire early but I'd wager they are alone enough to think more about the "what if..." enough to think though the issue and do the planning necessary to make it happen successfully.

Quote:
Could it be that almost everyone really wants to FIRE--the NTs are most likely to have the skills to pull it off.
Quite likely, I forget which personalty type it was but one in particular hates planning ahead and thinks "just wing it" is the best way to go. Unless they have a healthy pension I think these people will almost universally be living in trailers.

Quote:
But I wonder if they have have a stronger immune system against feelings of social isolation?
I'd guess they can stand being alone for longer and it bothers them less. A year after we moved to WV there was a huge snowstorm that dumped almost 3 feet of snow. Since it was well forecast we stocked up on food and movies and except for getting mail and the newspaper we didn't leave the house for a week, by which time we were starting to get a little bit of cabin fever. My younger sister, an extrovert to the core, said she'd have been climbing the walls in two or three days.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:44 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
I pegged the "I" at 96% introverted. (I call it 'morbidly introverted') My observation over the years is: It is not possible to earn any kind of a living without excessive, pointless, unnecessary human contact.

One of my favorite "Twilight Zone" episodes was the one in which a guy finds himself in a town with no people in it. Everything works, the lights are on, but not a person in sight. I thought that would be pretty cool.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:49 PM   #70
Dryer sheet aficionado

Mine is "Time Enough at Last" with Burgess Meredith. Bookish bank teller is the lone survivor of a nuclear holocaust. Almost kills himself when he discovers the library and piles up the books he will read for the next 30 years...
Old 10-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #71

Quote:
Almost kills himself when he discovers the library and piles up the books he will read for the next 30 years...
...and then breaks his glasses! Poor guy.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:58 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

INTP, the "I" has remained at 100% since the first time taking the test many moons ago, recently P and J have started swapping around. The whip may snap one day an voila a freshly minted "E". Okay probably not.
springnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #73

I wonder, does your "base" personality change? Certainly we grow and change with experience and time, does our persinality shift fron 25 to 55, for instance?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:27 PM   #74
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
The answer is a resounding yes, as proven by many previous posts on this board. Workplaces tend to promote extroversion, reflecting the culture as a whole. This can be stressful for introverts, particularly if the advantages they offer aren't valued, and make them yearn for ER. It certainly was a factor for me.

Quote:
Are introverts happier in retirement because they don't *need* as many social interactions. I'm not suggesting that I's on a MBPT are hermits hiding from all social interaction. But I wonder if they have have a stronger immune system against feelings of social isolation?
Personally, I believe this is very much the case, although I'm only about two months into retirement. But the retirement literature tends to promote the opposite point of view, as I've noted in a spin-off thread.
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:37 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

One of my favorite "Twilight Zone" episodes was the one in which a guy finds himself in a town with no people in it. Everything works, the lights are on, but not a person in sight. I thought that would be pretty cool.
That was the pilot episode if I'm not mistaken. I couldn't see what the guy was getting all upset about. He should have been counting his blessings
Old 10-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #76

Quote:
Mine is "Time Enough at Last" with Burgess Meredith. Bookish bank teller is the lone survivor of a nuclear holocaust. Almost kills himself when he discovers the library and piles up the books he will read for the next 30 years...
Other than the broken glasses thing he should have been doing cartwheels like Earl Holliman in the other episode. Apparently he was not analytical enough. He was pie-in-the-skying it thinking only of his feel-goodiness with all the reading. If he had been thinking into the future he would have covered that contingency by raiding an optical shop or drug store first then started piling up the books.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #77

I normally test as INTJ, but just tested here as INFJ. Oh dear - this will take some getting used to

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:32 PM   #78
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So, the INTJs get to retire early, but it's the ENTJs that get to run the show.

Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, and Steve Jobs are reputedly of the latter personality type.

Well, I can pretend to be extroverted if my life depends on it, but it would be very hard.

See how the ERs are not really that lucky, if we are talking about wealth?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:22 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

" those who are accustomed to just being told what to do, who are unable to direct themselves and challenge existing notions, will have a hard time meeting INTJs' extremely high standards. Efficiency and results are king to INTJs, and behaviors that undermine these conditions are quashed mercilessly. If subordinates try to compensate for their weakness in these areas by trying to build a social relationship with their INTJ managers, on their heads be it - office gossip and schmoozing are not the way into INTJs' hearts - only bold competence will do."

All these years I thought that was just my management style.
Samething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #80

Quote:
" If subordinates try to compensate for their weakness in these areas by trying to build a social relationship with their INTJ managers, on their heads be it - office gossip and schmoozing are not the way into INTJs' hearts - only bold competence will do."

All these years I thought that was just my management style.
Unfortunately way too many bosses require a "social relationship" and a worker's ability to win a personality contest. And that's separate from the regular personality contest among the other workers. Showing up on time, doing your job, and staying out of trouble is for saps.