Votes: 8 3.6%
  • Explorers - ISFP

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Explorers - ESTP

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Explorers - ESFP

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
I am an INFP although the E and I are interchangeable for the most part. Sometimes I test E and sometimes I.

If you like her but can't stand him, arrange a meeting where you control the shots. For example, invite her and some other girlfriends to your home for some activity that you all enjoy.

Good idea. I had big plans to host some gatherings at my home (like I used to do with some regularity a half a dozen years ago), but it seems that I am quite introspective in my very early post-retirement. Basically I have been pursuing my own interests, doing a little modest travel and reveling in being a lay-about with occasional restaurant meet ups with old friends.

Wow, this one sure is an issue for me!

DON’T take 100 words to say what could have been said in 10. Content-free speech will cause an INTJ to zone out faster than repeating yourself.

When dating DW she told me some long story, and when I rephrased the three-minute monologue in two or three sentences she just stared in astonishment.

But she has other adorable characteristics so I've learned to be more patient with her, and she more tolerant of my impatience. And I keep in mind that women communicate differently from reading "You Just Don't Understand" by Deborah Tannen.

No matter which test I take, it seems like I always come out INTJ. The questions on this test seemed a little screwy to me, so I wondered if I would come out something different.

Nope. INTJ again.

Yep INTJ here also. One would think after 20 years of putzing in ER I would maybe 'style drift' into another box.

heh heh heh - :cool:

Yep INTJ here also. One would think after 20 years of putzing in ER I would maybe 'style drift' into another box.

heh heh heh - :cool:

I retook the test after lunch and now I'm a tad P. So with strong coffee and an empty stomach INTJ (J lite) and with a full stomach a diet drink INTP.

Heh heh heh - go figure. :rolleyes:

Uncle, as long as you are still left-handed, we are good. :)
I need to keep you in my tribe!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I retook the test after lunch and now I'm a tad P. So with strong coffee and an empty stomach INTJ (J lite) and with a full stomach a diet drink INTP.

More judgmental when you're hungry? Seems reasonable! :D

Because of your changed results, I just took it again after a nice lunch and when feeling completely satiated and on top of the world. Result: INTJ! I just can't get away from it. :2funny:

At the end of the test, one should note how strong each of the 4 indicators is. I am INTJ, but only the I and N are strong. I may repeat the test in another day and come out INTP. And I understand that ambivalence.

Hey, that's another thing we have in common, besides the tendency to not take things seriously. Heh heh heh... ;)

Here's the difference between INTJ and INTP.

J – Judgment preferred to perception: INTJs tend to plan their activities and make decisions early. They derive a sense of control through predictability, which to perceptive types may seem limiting.

P – Perception preferred to judgment: INTPs tend to withhold judgment and delay important decisions, preferring to "keep their options open" should circumstances change.

I have learned to be flexible, and in my later years have also been less stubborn. So, crossing into INTP is quite plausible.

When I took a test like this in 2010 I was ISFJ. I just took the one linked here and I am now ISTJ.

I've always known I was an Introvert. I like being a SENTINEL. Nice way to describe this personality type.

ENFP here... And DW also took it to classify me and same result ... for me ENFP.

So what about your spouse?

Previously I've been INTJ, but close to INTP. This time, INTP, which is also what DH tested as. This seems really good for our early retirement plans but I was somewhat surprised that DH got the same as me since we're opposites regarding impulsiveness. I love to get into new things, make rash decisions. He's much more methodical, takes FOREVER to make a decision compared to how my head works.

Maybe this description from above is why I fall between the two:

J – Judgment preferred to perception: INTJs tend to plan their activities and make decisions early. They derive a sense of control through predictability, which to perceptive types may seem limiting.

P – Perception preferred to judgment: INTPs tend to withhold judgment and delay important decisions, preferring to "keep their options open" should circumstances change.

I love planning, make very quick decisions, but "keep my options open" because I'm always looking for the next shiny thing.

Carried to the extreme, the J type may start to behave like people with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). The latter "have a strong preference for routines and sameness. Routines often serve an important function - they introduce order, structure and predictability and help to manage anxiety. Because of this, it can be very distressing if a person's routine is disrupted."

I never have my day that structured, and in recent years have learned to have some spontaneity. Life's more fun that way.

Hey, that's another thing we have in common, besides the tendency to not take things seriously. Heh heh heh... ;)

I have learned to be flexible, and in my later years have also been less stubborn. So, crossing into INTP is quite plausible.
I really think it would be better for me to make decisions early, but I just don't roll that way. I keep my options open so long that I can let a default action through!

While I was working, I tested as an INTJ. Today, after a period of retirement, I'm an INFJ.
Of course, this could be a result of the unreliable repeat-ability of the test.

In everyday's life, I often make a decision early, knowing that it can change. How else can one get started? And then, I improvise as I learn more, or if things do not work out as I thought.

For example, when we travel together I am always the one planning the itinerary because my wife could not make the decisions if left to her. But then, once on the road I am open to deviations from the plan, such as adding new interesting destinations, or shortening the stay at a planned one if it is not to our liking. And my wife liked it more when we would have an unplanned lunch at an interesting cafe, or make a stop at a farmer's market we happened to drive by. How else does one make serendipitous discoveries?

On the other hand, some people are so indecisive over little things that do not really matter, and it would make me show my impatience. How long does one need to pick a dish off a restaurant menu, for example?

Last edited:
That's strange, isn't INTJ the opposite of FIRE? That's "I Need This Job" right? OTOH I suppose out in the real world they'd be way more than 46.58%. FWIW it's hard to believe I'm the only ESFP (Extreme Saver Frugal Planner) here.

That's strange, isn't INTJ the opposite of FIRE? That's "I Need This Job" right? OTOH I suppose out in the real world they'd be way more than 46.58%. FWIW it's hard to believe I'm the only ESFP (Extreme Saver Frugal Planner) here.

Buh dum tsh. :facepalm:

INTJ on this test. Over the years I tend to vacillate between INTJ and ENTJ - and if you look at the I portion - I'm pretty close to the dividing line.

I'm fine in social situations, not afraid to speak up... but need that home/down time to recharge.

Same here. The most comprehensive Briggs-Meyer test I took was at work, which put me close to the E/I line. Since I've retired and taken probably 10 on the web I'm firmly in the INTJ camp.

This result seems to be common across forums. I wonder if you there was a way to test people who didn't read retirement forum if their results would the same?

I came out ISTJ on the test but I love to defer commitment as long as possible especially on anything that involves money coming out of my wallet. This annoys my wife as she likes to get things out of the way.

Do Opposite's Attract?

In the "Mating and Temperament" chapter of "Please Understand Me", Keirsey and Bates name each of the 16 temperaments and lay out the opposites:

INTP - ESFJ
ENTP - ISFJ
INTJ - ESFP
ENTJ - ISFP
INFP - ESTP
ENFP - ISTJ
INFJ - ESTP
ENFJ - ISTP

So INTJ "Scientist" should pair best with ESFP "Entertainer", for instance.

In my case, INTP "Architect" would pair best with ESFJ "Seller". But my DW is an ISFJ "Conservator", which would pair better with an ENTP, rather than INTP that I am.

It's interesting to note in my case that I feel pushed towards "E" because my wife doesn't "get out there" too much; we'd be pretty boring if I didn't take action.

Attachments

• mbnames.jpg
    mbnames.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 12
I came out ISTJ on the test but I love to defer commitment as long as possible especially on anything that involves money coming out of my wallet. This annoys my wife as she likes to get things out of the way.

I thought the frugal I type already made up commitment: spend no money!

I also oscillate between and INTJ and an INTP. That may partly explain why I often make a decision early, then change my mind later, which drives everyone else crazy.

INTJs are about 2% and ISTJs are I think about 4% so that does make them outliers.

This link was in an earlier post, it has the distribution breakdown from several studies in table format. INTJ is ~1% of world population per the tables.

According to this link (The Myers & Briggs Foundation - How Frequent Is My Type), it's ~2% for INTJ, but ~12% for ISTJ. Seems the "N"-part is rather uncommon. Crazy how INTJs are overrepresented amongst us.

I tested ISTJ, again.

Before my ER, if I took the test at work I was a "T". But if I took it on weekends or on vacation, I was an "F".

So what about your spouse?

Previously I've been INTJ, but close to INTP. This time, INTP, which is also what DH tested as. This seems really good for our early retirement plans but I was somewhat surprised that DH got the same as me since we're opposites regarding impulsiveness. I love to get into new things, make rash decisions. He's much more methodical, takes FOREVER to make a decision compared to how my head works.

Maybe this description from above is why I fall between the two:

I love planning, make very quick decisions, but "keep my options open" because I'm always looking for the next shiny thing.

I do not think your quick decisions are necessarily out of agreement with INTJ. At least in my case being INTJ, I make a lot of quick decisions based on self-confidence, skills and gut feel; mostly when the stakes are not real high and consequence of result are not that significant. However if the results consequences are high, I tend to analyze a lot and use more factual technical data before making a final decision.

Once I make a decision, I am dead set to follow that path though....

Back
Top Bottom