Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is your personality type?
Analysts - INTJ 106 47.53%
Analysts - INTP 17 7.62%
Analysts - ENTJ 12 5.38%
Analysts - ENTP 5 2.24%
Diplomats - INFJ 8 3.59%
Diplomats - INFP 13 5.83%
Diplomats - ENFJ 8 3.59%
Diplomats - ENFP 4 1.79%
Sentinels - ISTJ 28 12.56%
Sentinels - ISFJ 5 2.24%
Sentinels - ESTJ 3 1.35%
Sentinels - ESFJ 1 0.45%
Explorers - ISTP 8 3.59%
Explorers - ISFP 3 1.35%
Explorers - ESTP 1 0.45%
Explorers - ESFP 1 0.45%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
I came out ISTJ on the test but I love to defer commitment as long as possible especially on anything that involves money coming out of my wallet. This annoys my wife as she likes to get things out of the way.
I thought the frugal I type already made up commitment: spend no money!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2014, 10:19 AM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Here's the difference between INTJ and INTP.

J – Judgment preferred to perception: INTJs tend to plan their activities and make decisions early. They derive a sense of control through predictability, which to perceptive types may seem limiting.

P – Perception preferred to judgment: INTPs tend to withhold judgment and delay important decisions, preferring to "keep their options open" should circumstances change.
I also oscillate between and INTJ and an INTP. That may partly explain why I often make a decision early, then change my mind later, which drives everyone else crazy.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:14 AM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
INTJs are about 2% and ISTJs are I think about 4% so that does make them outliers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
This link was in an earlier post, it has the distribution breakdown from several studies in table format. INTJ is ~1% of world population per the tables.
According to this link (The Myers & Briggs Foundation - How Frequent Is My Type), it's ~2% for INTJ, but ~12% for ISTJ. Seems the "N"-part is rather uncommon. Crazy how INTJs are overrepresented amongst us.

I tested ISTJ, again.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:23 AM   #124

Before my ER, if I took the test at work I was a "T". But if I took it on weekends or on vacation, I was an "F".
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelhxi View Post
So what about your spouse?

Previously I've been INTJ, but close to INTP. This time, INTP, which is also what DH tested as. This seems really good for our early retirement plans but I was somewhat surprised that DH got the same as me since we're opposites regarding impulsiveness. I love to get into new things, make rash decisions. He's much more methodical, takes FOREVER to make a decision compared to how my head works.

Maybe this description from above is why I fall between the two:

J – Judgment preferred to perception: INTJs tend to plan their activities and make decisions early. They derive a sense of control through predictability, which to perceptive types may seem limiting.

P – Perception preferred to judgment: INTPs tend to withhold judgment and delay important decisions, preferring to "keep their options open" should circumstances change.

I love planning, make very quick decisions, but "keep my options open" because I'm always looking for the next shiny thing.
I do not think your quick decisions are necessarily out of agreement with INTJ. At least in my case being INTJ, I make a lot of quick decisions based on self-confidence, skills and gut feel; mostly when the stakes are not real high and consequence of result are not that significant. However if the results consequences are high, I tend to analyze a lot and use more factual technical data before making a final decision.

Once I make a decision, I am dead set to follow that path though....

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #126

Oh good grief.

Today at w#rk our manager sent us the link in the OP, and asked all of us to take the test, and then report our type "anonymously" (coughbullcr@pcough) via a second link. No explanation for the request, or what they plan to do with the results.

I have taken the full test in the past (always for personal curiosity, never for an employer) and I always come out as a strong INTJ. There is no way I am going on record ("anonymously" - yeah right) as that type, given that the reward system at w#rk is heavily tilted toward extroverts of all stripes. I refuse to be limited and/or penalized by a label.

I scrolled through the 16 types and selected one that was the absolute polar opposite of my actual results in every way, and entered that "anonymously" as my type.

I figure they can't call me out on it, since it's so anonymous and all.

The follow-up roundtable in a few weeks to discuss everyone's results should be interesting.
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:26 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Oh good grief.

Today at w#rk our manager sent us the link in the OP, and asked all of us to take the test, and then report our type "anonymously" (coughbullcr@pcough) via a second link. No explanation for the request, or what they plan to do with the results.

I have taken the full test in the past (always for personal curiosity, never for an employer) and I always come out as a strong INTJ. There is no way I am going on record ("anonymously" - yeah right) as that type, given that the reward system at w#rk is heavily tilted toward extroverts of all stripes. I refuse to be limited and/or penalized by a label.

I scrolled through the 16 types and selected one that was the absolute polar opposite of my actual results in every way, and entered that "anonymously" as my type.

I figure they can't call me out on it, since it's so anonymous and all.

The follow-up roundtable in a few weeks to discuss everyone's results should be interesting.
Just to mess with them, at the follow-up roundtable, you could think about doing the George Costanza exercise and saying the exact opposite of what you are really thinking and see if your manager notices. Of course, this could backfire, but it'd be fun to think about.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:52 AM   #128
gone traveling

I did the same thing with my team. Was really just curious and to see how we balance the plethora of INTJ types at our high tech mega corp. Except I didn't make it anonymous. I let everyone guess each other's results. Fun stuff. No penalties. Don't be so cynical about the use of this stuff. For me it was just fun and a way to get away from the work for a bit to mentally reset. Not all bad .....

I promoted an I ...once..... Ha ha. Kidding. Kidding.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:04 AM   #129
Full time employment: Posting here.

I tested years ago as a strong INTJ, but just took the test at the link from the OP, and am an INFP. I generally fit both descriptions, but the IN part is firm.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:49 AM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Oh good grief.

I went through a couple of renditions of that exercise over the years as the rookie HR "generalists" (what kind of job title is that, anyway?) would come on board trying to prove their go-gettedness. Once time I had much fun in the follow-up meeting by convincing one of the most extroverted people I know she was really just a closet introvert, and next thing you know she couldn't wait to get away from everybody to 'recharge'

The subject of my 'experiment' is a wonderful person, and I admired her ability to be seemingly effortlessly outgoing so I wasn't trying to inflict any permanent damage, but I found it interesting how sometimes more strongly extroverted people seem to be much more open--perhaps susceptible is a better word--to being swayed in how they view themselves based on what others say. While INTJ's like myself couldn't take a hint driven in with a 5 pound mall.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #131
Recycles dryer sheets

intj here also but how can there be 48% here when the world is 2%...have to think about that and device a plan of action to come up with an answer.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #132
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky911 View Post
intj here also but how can there be 48% here when the world is 2%...have to think about that and device a plan of action to come up with an answer.
Heh. Guess what personality traits lead someone to consider, contemplate, and act on taking measures to insure reaching a future goal, particularly one important to their own well-being...

Portrait of an INTJ
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #133
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky911 View Post
Because self selection does not give rise to the Normal distribution.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:49 PM   #134
gone traveling

Because the ENFPs are all at McDonald's discussing FIRE in person.

The INTJs are just more comfortable behind a 'puter screen and keyboard.

I wouldn't read too much into it beyond that.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:39 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
Just to mess with them, at the follow-up roundtable, you could think about doing the George Costanza exercise and saying the exact opposite of what you are really thinking and see if your manager notices. Of course, this could backfire, but it'd be fun to think about.
I had considered doing this, but the more likely scenario is that I and the one other INTJ in the group will keep our lips firmly sealed and pray that the meeting is short and sweet. I imagine neither one of us will speak unless forced to. Given the need of all the extroverts in the group to hear their own voices, this plan will probably work.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:42 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
I went through a couple of renditions of that exercise over the years as the rookie HR "generalists" (what kind of job title is that, anyway?) would come on board trying to prove their go-gettedness. Once time I had much fun in the follow-up meeting by convincing one of the most extroverted people I know she was really just a closet introvert, and next thing you know she couldn't wait to get away from everybody to 'recharge'

The subject of my 'experiment' is a wonderful person, and I admired her ability to be seemingly effortlessly outgoing so I wasn't trying to inflict any permanent damage, but I found it interesting how sometimes more strongly extroverted people seem to be much more open--perhaps susceptible is a better word--to being swayed in how they view themselves based on what others say. While INTJ's like myself couldn't take a hint driven in with a 5 pound mall.
I like the way you think!
Old 11-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #137
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunner View Post
The trend in this poll that screams out to me is the overwhelming dominance of Introverts, 85% (63/74) are I's. It suggests to me that extroverted folks may enjoy the work place and or need the social contact it provides and they may be less anxious to escape it.
Very interesting observation.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #138

For what it's worth (which is not much), I am probably another INTJ with a very strong I but, as others have pointed out, the test is pretty much useless because:

1. far too many questions could be answered with "none of the above" or "it depends" or have variable/subjective interpretations; and

2. it is not hard to manipulate the answers to produce the results that best serve the person taking the test

Like astrology, a bit of light hearted fun but not to be taken seriously.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:11 AM   #139

As others have noted, most here are introverts. It would be interesting to know of the 4 temperament "areas" that define your type, which one was the strongest or most prevalent? For example, on the I-E scale, I am an extreme "I" and the three other areas were a lot more toward the center.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
As others have noted, most here are introverts. It would be interesting to know of the 4 temperament "areas" that define your type, which one was the strongest or most prevalent? For example, on the I-E scale, I am an extreme "I" and the three other areas were a lot more toward the center.
I suspect that is the case with many. The introvert in me is far to the right, intuitive/observant is about center, thinking/feeling is far left, judging/prospecting is far left, and assertive/turbulent is far left.

So while I can play the role of an extrovert if needed, when it's over I want to go home and take a nap for three days.