Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is your personality type?
Analysts - INTJ 106 47.53%
Analysts - INTP 17 7.62%
Analysts - ENTJ 12 5.38%
Analysts - ENTP 5 2.24%
Diplomats - INFJ 8 3.59%
Diplomats - INFP 13 5.83%
Diplomats - ENFJ 8 3.59%
Diplomats - ENFP 4 1.79%
Sentinels - ISTJ 28 12.56%
Sentinels - ISFJ 5 2.24%
Sentinels - ESTJ 3 1.35%
Sentinels - ESFJ 1 0.45%
Explorers - ISTP 8 3.59%
Explorers - ISFP 3 1.35%
Explorers - ESTP 1 0.45%
Explorers - ESFP 1 0.45%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets

I am an INFP although the E and I are interchangeable for the most part. Sometimes I test E and sometimes I.
outdoorgirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2014, 01:35 PM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
If you like her but can't stand him, arrange a meeting where you control the shots. For example, invite her and some other girlfriends to your home for some activity that you all enjoy.
Good idea. I had big plans to host some gatherings at my home (like I used to do with some regularity a half a dozen years ago), but it seems that I am quite introspective in my very early post-retirement. Basically I have been pursuing my own interests, doing a little modest travel and reveling in being a lay-about with occasional restaurant meet ups with old friends.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:02 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
A couple of useful links for INTJ's
The Venturous Life: The Complete Idiot's Guide To The INTJ A snippet
Wow, this one sure is an issue for me!

Quote:
DON’T take 100 words to say what could have been said in 10. Content-free speech will cause an INTJ to zone out faster than repeating yourself.
When dating DW she told me some long story, and when I rephrased the three-minute monologue in two or three sentences she just stared in astonishment.

But she has other adorable characteristics so I've learned to be more patient with her, and she more tolerant of my impatience. And I keep in mind that women communicate differently from reading "You Just Don't Understand" by Deborah Tannen.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:08 PM   #104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
No matter which test I take, it seems like I always come out INTJ. The questions on this test seemed a little screwy to me, so I wondered if I would come out something different.

Nope. INTJ again.
Yep INTJ here also. One would think after 20 years of putzing in ER I would maybe 'style drift' into another box.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:27 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Yep INTJ here also. One would think after 20 years of putzing in ER I would maybe 'style drift' into another box.

heh heh heh -
I retook the test after lunch and now I'm a tad P. So with strong coffee and an empty stomach INTJ (J lite) and with a full stomach a diet drink INTP.

Heh heh heh - go figure.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 03:33 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Uncle, as long as you are still left-handed, we are good.
I need to keep you in my tribe!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I retook the test after lunch and now I'm a tad P. So with strong coffee and an empty stomach INTJ (J lite) and with a full stomach a diet drink INTP.

Heh heh heh - go figure.
More judgmental when you're hungry? Seems reasonable!

Because of your changed results, I just took it again after a nice lunch and when feeling completely satiated and on top of the world. Result: INTJ! I just can't get away from it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:32 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
At the end of the test, one should note how strong each of the 4 indicators is. I am INTJ, but only the I and N are strong. I may repeat the test in another day and come out INTP. And I understand that ambivalence.
Quote:

Heh heh heh - go figure.
Hey, that's another thing we have in common, besides the tendency to not take things seriously. Heh heh heh...

Here's the difference between INTJ and INTP.

J – Judgment preferred to perception: INTJs tend to plan their activities and make decisions early. They derive a sense of control through predictability, which to perceptive types may seem limiting.

P – Perception preferred to judgment: INTPs tend to withhold judgment and delay important decisions, preferring to "keep their options open" should circumstances change.

I have learned to be flexible, and in my later years have also been less stubborn. So, crossing into INTP is quite plausible.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:54 PM   #109

When I took a test like this in 2010 I was ISFJ. I just took the one linked here and I am now ISTJ.

I've always known I was an Introvert. I like being a SENTINEL. Nice way to describe this personality type.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:15 AM   #110
gone traveling

ENFP here... And DW also took it to classify me and same result ... for me ENFP.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

So what about your spouse?

Previously I've been INTJ, but close to INTP. This time, INTP, which is also what DH tested as. This seems really good for our early retirement plans but I was somewhat surprised that DH got the same as me since we're opposites regarding impulsiveness. I love to get into new things, make rash decisions. He's much more methodical, takes FOREVER to make a decision compared to how my head works.

Maybe this description from above is why I fall between the two:

J – Judgment preferred to perception: INTJs tend to plan their activities and make decisions early. They derive a sense of control through predictability, which to perceptive types may seem limiting.

P – Perception preferred to judgment: INTPs tend to withhold judgment and delay important decisions, preferring to "keep their options open" should circumstances change.

I love planning, make very quick decisions, but "keep my options open" because I'm always looking for the next shiny thing.
Chelhxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:20 AM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Carried to the extreme, the J type may start to behave like people with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). The latter "have a strong preference for routines and sameness. Routines often serve an important function - they introduce order, structure and predictability and help to manage anxiety. Because of this, it can be very distressing if a person's routine is disrupted."

I never have my day that structured, and in recent years have learned to have some spontaneity. Life's more fun that way.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-26-2014, 11:23 AM   #113

Quote:
Hey, that's another thing we have in common, besides the tendency to not take things seriously. Heh heh heh...

I have learned to be flexible, and in my later years have also been less stubborn. So, crossing into INTP is quite plausible.
I really think it would be better for me to make decisions early, but I just don't roll that way. I keep my options open so long that I can let a default action through!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #114

While I was working, I tested as an INTJ. Today, after a period of retirement, I'm an INFJ.
Of course, this could be a result of the unreliable repeat-ability of the test.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:18 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

In everyday's life, I often make a decision early, knowing that it can change. How else can one get started? And then, I improvise as I learn more, or if things do not work out as I thought.

For example, when we travel together I am always the one planning the itinerary because my wife could not make the decisions if left to her. But then, once on the road I am open to deviations from the plan, such as adding new interesting destinations, or shortening the stay at a planned one if it is not to our liking. And my wife liked it more when we would have an unplanned lunch at an interesting cafe, or make a stop at a farmer's market we happened to drive by. How else does one make serendipitous discoveries?

On the other hand, some people are so indecisive over little things that do not really matter, and it would make me show my impatience. How long does one need to pick a dish off a restaurant menu, for example?

Old 10-26-2014, 05:10 PM   #116
Recycles dryer sheets

That's strange, isn't INTJ the opposite of FIRE? That's "I Need This Job" right? OTOH I suppose out in the real world they'd be way more than 46.58%. FWIW it's hard to believe I'm the only ESFP (Extreme Saver Frugal Planner) here.
dunkelblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:24 PM   #117
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkelblau View Post
That's strange, isn't INTJ the opposite of FIRE? That's "I Need This Job" right? OTOH I suppose out in the real world they'd be way more than 46.58%. FWIW it's hard to believe I'm the only ESFP (Extreme Saver Frugal Planner) here.
Buh dum tsh.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:41 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
INTJ on this test. Over the years I tend to vacillate between INTJ and ENTJ - and if you look at the I portion - I'm pretty close to the dividing line.

I'm fine in social situations, not afraid to speak up... but need that home/down time to recharge.
Same here. The most comprehensive Briggs-Meyer test I took was at work, which put me close to the E/I line. Since I've retired and taken probably 10 on the web I'm firmly in the INTJ camp.

This result seems to be common across forums. I wonder if you there was a way to test people who didn't read retirement forum if their results would the same?
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:41 AM   #119

Quote:

I came out ISTJ on the test but I love to defer commitment as long as possible especially on anything that involves money coming out of my wallet. This annoys my wife as she likes to get things out of the way.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Do Opposite's Attract?
Old 10-27-2014, 10:09 AM   #120

Do Opposite's Attract?

In the "Mating and Temperament" chapter of "Please Understand Me", Keirsey and Bates name each of the 16 temperaments and lay out the opposites:

INTP - ESFJ
ENTP - ISFJ
INTJ - ESFP
ENTJ - ISFP
INFP - ESTP
ENFP - ISTJ
INFJ - ESTP
ENFJ - ISTP

So INTJ "Scientist" should pair best with ESFP "Entertainer", for instance.

In my case, INTP "Architect" would pair best with ESFJ "Seller". But my DW is an ISFJ "Conservator", which would pair better with an ENTP, rather than INTP that I am.

It's interesting to note in my case that I feel pushed towards "E" because my wife doesn't "get out there" too much; we'd be pretty boring if I didn't take action.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mbnames.jpg (51.0 KB, 12 views)
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote