Join Early Retirement Today
Old 04-26-2013, 04:34 AM   #21
Originally Posted by bob boag View Post

And the "top seven percent" is an odd choice - maybe the choice that best sells the position that the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer?

And the fine print under the graph indicates that the actual 93rd percentile net worth dropped by $53,000 in 2011 vs 2009!
That is explained in the report. It appears the census breaks down the data that way.

(The focus in this report on the upper 7% of households rather than some other share of high wealth households reflects the limits of the tabulations published by the Census Bureau. The boundaries of its wealth categories dictated the split of households analyzed in this report.)

Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2013, 05:47 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Median is really no better indicator of the whole than any of the others.
For sure median is not perfect. But I do feel it is better than mean. To say that mean NW for the top 7% is $3.17 mil does not really tell someone, say like myself, where he or she stands since the number is very much skewed by numbers at the very top 1% or 0.1%. But if we are told that the medium NW of the top 7% is, say $2 million, which would be my guess anyway, would be useful since that would indicate that the 96.5 percentile maps to $2 million. One can then try to figure out percentile he or she is. For me, back in 2011, our NW was about $3.4 mil. So if we do have the medium and it is what I assume it is above then I can derive that our NW is most likely around 97 to 98 percentile. But the $3.17 mean number carries none of that info.

"There are no solutions...there are only trade-offs." - Thomas Sowell

Looking to retire or semi-retire by 45 based on our net worth going to $6 million outside our house.
kmt1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:20 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by kmt1972 View Post
For sure median is not perfect. But I do feel it is better than mean.
I would feel better with relying on no metric than a metric that explicitly ignores a vast disparity between top percentile and bottom percentile characteristics.

bUU is offline   Reply With Quote