Join Early Retirement Today

Re: PFCU CD Alert
Old 01-09-2005, 06:32 PM   #41

At one time I had a ton of money borrowed on my credit cards at -0- % which was earning 3% FDIC insured.
As the teaser rates ran out, I paid off the cards.
Made a lot of money doing this, but eventually the -0-%
offers disappeared. Now, they are flowing in again and so
I am shopping extra hard for that extra .5 per cent.
Got to stay liquid though. No CDs.

JG
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2005, 07:27 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I feel the same way, so I have not committed to any CD more than 1 year in duration.
For what it's worth, all banks forecast interest rates and base their rates on what they think the future will hold. *I think it was during the Clinton years that short-term rates were higher than long-term rates at some banks.

If the bank is willing to lock in their interest expense at 5.25% for 5 year CDs, they are probably forecasting interest rates to go to 7% or higher in the next 5 years for similar instruments. *They will have a ton of cash at a 5.25% expense while other banks may have to dish out a higher expense.
Sometimes CD rates are motivated by something other than rate forecasts. Upon occasion, banks will jump on CD rates in order to get suffcient money locked in at fixed rates. They need to do some risk management so that they don't get killed if rates spike, and therefore they are willing to take some negative spread on some money if it helps them hedge against a potentially disastrous situation. If they go to the capital markets, they could probably buy a cap or other derivative to help them hedge, but it would cost them. So sometimes it is cheaper and easier (not to mention better for your retail franchise) to just boost CD rates for a specail like this one.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 08:02 PM   #43

This deal looks too good to pass up. Would I be making a mistake by investing more than $100K with them? Is the risk significant?

Old 01-11-2005, 08:26 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Would I be making a mistake by investing more than $100K with them? *Is the risk significant?
Who can say? What's the probability of them going under in the next 5 years (or whatever your term is)? Given the high rates they pay out, and the low loan rates they take in, I'd say the risk is higher than with most CU's, but still small.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:26 PM   #45

I already have almost 97k in 5.25% CDs from last March. As much as I would love to, I just don't feel comfortable enough to expose myself beyond the insured 100k.
I am now going to open 7 year 5.5% IRA CDs from transfered funds. I will be able to withdraw part or all of the IRA CD in about 2 1/2 years when I reach 59 1/2 with no PFCU early penalty withdrawal.

I'll have nearly 200k of insured money in PFCU earning 5.5% for at least 2 1/2 years & 5.25% for 4 years.

MJ
Old 01-12-2005, 05:52 AM   #46

Hi MJ. I have gone over the 100K FDIC limit several
times. Not sure where my "chicken out" point is located.

I have only one CD right now (opened yesterday).
9 months @ 2.75%. All of my directly owned bonds
(which replaced my CDs)
are callable within 5 years, some have interest
escalators at some point. Current interest rates
range from 5% to 7.375%, with maturities out to 25
years. Ratings from AAA to BBB+.
I would not be so strong in this area if I was not close to SS and did not have some inflation protection elsewhere.

JG
Old 01-12-2005, 11:42 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This deal looks too good to pass up. *Would I be making a mistake by investing more than $100K with them? *Is the risk significant?
That is for you to determine. I took a close look at Pen Fed's financials and they look pretty solid to me. If they were public and reasonably valued, I would be very, very interested. However, you would really have to decide for yourself.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:42 PM   #48

I was attracted to the 5.25% rate from PFCU so I opened an account. But before I transferred money to fund the CD I checked with my own credit union (USA Federal Credit Union) and found that I could get a 5 year CD at 4.70% with a "step up" option. Per USA Federal Credit Union, "you can convert your certificate to a better rate should interest rates rise over the duration of the certificate. This step-up option is available to Regular, Jumbo, and IRA Share Certificates of 36 months or greater." I'm thinking that if interest rates are likely to climb, it might be better to accept the somewhat lower APR now if I can "bump" it up later at a higher rater. Any thoughts?
Old 01-12-2005, 02:55 PM   #49

Quote:
I'm thinking that if interest rates are likely to climb, it might be better to accept the somewhat lower APR now if I can "bump" it up later at a higher rater. Any thoughts?
Yeah, this seems like a better deal. Myself, I'm leaning more towards a short/intermediate bond Index fund. I won't have to deal with Banks (which I hate! - This was reinforced this week with my bad experience with U.S. Bank and Pen Fed) and I'll be more liquid.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:03 PM   #50

I just looked at the 2003 financial statements too and I'm impressed with their performance. *The next step would be to compare them to their peers to see how they compare. *It will be interesting to see how the 2004 financial look when they are done.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:10 PM   #51

I intend to stay with Vangaurd Intermediate Treasury Bond Fund instead of buying CDs.

Spanky
Old 01-13-2005, 05:02 AM   #52

Quote:
I intend to stay with Vangaurd Intermediate Treasury Bond Fund instead of buying CDs.

Spanky
That's the route I'm headed. I'm looking at the Intermediate Bond Index Fund which does hold a lot of Treasuries.