Join Early Retirement Today

Physical Address/Banking/Nomadic
Old 06-18-2018, 01:17 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Physical Address/Banking/Nomadic

I'm teleworking, soon to retire and nomadic. I gave up my lease and have been using AirBnBs for lodging until permanent retirement, a few months away. At that time, I will be leaving this area.

My mail is handled by a forwarding service (but almost all of it is paperless) - the address I pay them for, is a street address.

I have not changed my state of residence. My tax rates are still calculated the same, etc.

That said, I received a request from my bank for a physical address. I don't want to have to lease a room in a house for the next several months, just to get a physical address.

My close friends and family members live in other states, so I would rather not trigger new problems by changing my state.

Am I between a rock and a hard place? My understanding is that mail forwarder address are now being "flagged" as suspicious.

Anyone else been in this spot? If you have any suggestions, much appreciated.

LaurenLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2018, 01:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenLuna View Post
Am I between a rock and a hard place?
I think so.
Banks are required to have a physical address for you. Look up Patriot Act for the details.

You may be able to give them a "home address" (perhaps one of your relatives) while retaining your current mailing address. Some people have used this method successfully. But you probably want to talk with a manager at your bank about it.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:40 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We moved as much as possible to the web.

We used c/o our son for mail which required a street address (same juridiction). Did this for ten months.

Worked out fine. Even better, a lot of the junk mail dropped off.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I use UPS mail box for my bank accounts and credit cards. Maybe this is okay for business accounts?
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:08 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Well, maybe Cap One is the only bank that attempts to follow the policy to the strictest letter.

I have other banks and have not heard from any of them.
LaurenLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:19 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

My real estate bank account is with cap one. So is one Lowe’s cc.
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:36 PM   #7

work at a business bank and yes, we do require a physical address for our customers. not sure if any other banks differ. If you don't have one, we don't lend to you. Pretty simple.

Not to be confused with physically receiving the mail. There are services and PO Box that can accomplish that. But if you want a business loan, the business needs a physical address for underwriting where I work.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:39 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

We are currently using a mail place (like a ups store). You can use their street address like we did since we currently are probably going rving full time. No problem giving it to the bank etc.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:42 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

We were outside the USA for over 20 years and then moved back 2 years ago. We rented a UPS store physical address box. Some banking providers did not like that arrangement (including one credit card company), but we were able to manage through most of the issues by giving them a real physical address (which I understand OP does not have). So a sympathetic relative or friend is recommended as a backup plan.
Scubamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:38 PM   #10

As a semi-nomad for many years, often with no true physical residence in the U.S., I've dealt with this issue a lot.

It used to be that a UPS Store (previously Mailboxes Etc) box satisfied everybody: home address, mailing address, physical address--it worked for everything.

That started changing a few years ago, and now it's hard to pass off a UPS Store box as the "physical address" that many companies require. Their databases apparently flag it as a storefront, rather than a residence.

I'm guessing that the same databases flag the inbound addresses of the major mail-forwarding services too?

So the situation is more difficult for nomads now, and I don't have a good solution. You need not only a true residence you can identify as yours, but also (in many cases) a piece of mail from a cable or utility company which is addressed to you at that physical address. Sometimes it has to be dated or postmarked within the last xx days. Your name, along with the address of the residence, on a deed, mortgage statement, or property tax bill usually works too.

I now own a condo in the U.S. It's rented to someone I trust thoroughly, so I use that address whenever a "physical" address is required. Trust me, mail will be sent to your "physical" address, even though you tell the company that all mail should go to your "mailing" address.

In your case I think your best bet is to find someone willing to let you use their home address as your physical address. The person also has to be trustworthy and willing enough to receive mail for you and forward it to you.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:59 PM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

If its just one bank requesting it why not give them the address of the Airbnb. You are living there right now.
zack59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:07 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenLuna View Post
I'm teleworking, soon to retire and nomadic. I gave up my lease and have been using AirBnBs for lodging until permanent retirement, a few months away. At that time, I will be leaving this area.

My mail is handled by a forwarding service (but almost all of it is paperless) - the address I pay them for, is a street address.

I have not changed my state of residence. My tax rates are still calculated the same, etc.

That said, I received a request from my bank for a physical address. I don't want to have to lease a room in a house for the next several months, just to get a physical address.

My close friends and family members live in other states, so I would rather not trigger new problems by changing my state.

Am I between a rock and a hard place? My understanding is that mail forwarder address are now being "flagged" as suspicious.

Anyone else been in this spot? If you have any suggestions, much appreciated.
The Airbnb you are staying in works for a physical address, and won’t cause problems if in the same state. I wouldn’t worry about updating it more than once a year.

Insurance garaging address might be a problem.

We just used an RV park that we returned to now and then as our physical address. Nothing got mailed there as we had a billing address set up on all accounts, which was our mail service.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:16 PM   #13

There are many RV parks in Florida, Texas and South Dakota that have secondary businesses as mail drops. Notice two are non state income states.

Bamaman is online now   Reply With Quote