Join Early Retirement Today

Pilgrim Baxter distribution
Old 04-25-2007, 11:14 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Pilgrim Baxter distribution

I received a check today from the "Fair Fund" established by the SEC to right some of the wrongs associated with market timing in the Pilgrim Baxter mutual funds. Problem is, the mutual fund was held in a SEP account. Does anyone know if I need to deposit this check back into the SEP, or, if I can just spend save it ?

Thanks!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Pilgrim Baxter distribution
Old 04-26-2007, 12:52 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I lalso received a check today from the "Fair Fund" for holding a PBHG fund in my IRA account for a number of years in the past. In the attached sheet above your check, there is info on the back that gives a website (www.pbafairfundsettlements.com) that explains what you should do with the check. There is also a toll-free number listed for any questions you may have. In my case, the PBHG mutual fund was in my IRA, so I need to deposit it back into my IRA. Your situation may be diffferent. I am personally taking the check to the local Charles Schwab office where I hold my IRA, just to make sure it gets taken care of properly.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks. I missed that reference to the web site on the document. It wasn't enough that they underlined it and printed it in bold
Old 04-26-2007, 08:38 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
It wasn't enough that they underlined it and printed it in bold
... at least twice! :
Old 04-27-2007, 03:47 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I owned one of the funds. It still makes me angry. Too bad those @$$h*les didn't go to jail!
Old 04-27-2007, 12:20 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by d
... at least twice! :
Yeah, I know. Brain not working anymore.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:18 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Brain not working anymore
if you really want to fry whatever remains of your grey matter, try reading/understanding the IRS referenced items!
Old 06-16-2007, 06:38 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toejam View Post
I lalso received a check today from the "Fair Fund" for holding a PBHG fund in my IRA account for a number of years in the past. In the attached sheet above your check, there is info on the back that gives a website (www.pbafairfundsettlements.com) that explains what you should do with the check. There is also a toll-free number listed for any questions you may have. In my case, the PBHG mutual fund was in my IRA, so I need to deposit it back into my IRA. Your situation may be diffferent. I am personally taking the check to the local Charles Schwab office where I hold my IRA, just to make sure it gets taken care of properly.
I am in the same situation. I received a dist check. The PBHG account was for an IRA. It sounds like I should put it back in my IRA. Do I need to reflect any of this on any tax form? Anyone know anything about it? OR how it should be handled?