Join Early Retirement Today

PIMCO Help Needed
Old 02-15-2005, 06:36 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

PIMCO Help Needed

I am considering adding some PIMCO foreign bond and commodity funds.

I think I remember a discussion here about ways to buy PIMCO institutional class shares, but I can't find it when I search.

It seems that institutional class - for example PCRIX-normally have a $250,000 minimim purchase, but I think they can be bought in smaller hunks from some brokers.

Compared to D class, which is what my broker Fidelity offers, the I class shares save about 50 bp in annual fees.

Have any of you found ways to gain access to PIMCO institutional shares without putting $250,000 into each one you wanted?

Thanks,
Mikey

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: PIMCO Help Needed
Old 02-15-2005, 07:30 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mikey,
I might have posted on this -- I get all those Pimco institutional funds through my DFA advisor, who has a Schwab Master Account that lets him get the institutional funds for his clients. (it is my own account, and he has no trading authority over anything in it).

For me, this made the 1k I paid him for an initial consultation and access to all these funds pay for itself quickly.

A DFA advisor in your area may be willing to offer a similar deal -- I had to pitch to them that I had read William Bernstein and didn't need to be hand-held through a long expensive learning curve to come up to speed on the joys of asset allocation.

Some, however, are put off by people who 'just want access to DFA funds" so tiptoe around a bit.

Find a person at DFA's site: http://www.dfaus.com/find_advisor/

If you get stuck, my guy in suburban NY has said he'd take on savvy indexers on a long-distance basis if need be -- PM me and I'll get you his contact info.

Old 02-15-2005, 08:26 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

vanguard offers them for very low minimums...something like 2500 or 5000...in your vanguard brokerage account.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 06:31 AM   #4

Ameritrade offers PIMCO institutional classes for something like $1500 or $2000. I think that some other discount brokers probably has the same deal but only know for sure about Ameritrade.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:28 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Thanks guys. If all these other brokers can do it, maybe Fidelity will too. If I can do it without moving money-esp my Keo- I'd prefer it that way.

The $250,000 minumum at Fidelity is a bit steep!

Mikey
Old 02-16-2005, 10:17 AM   #6

Quote:
It seems that institutional class - for example PCRIX-normally have a $250,000 minimim purchase, but I think they can be bought in smaller hunks from some brokers.

Compared to D class, which is what my broker Fidelity offers, the I class shares save about 50 bp in annual fees.
Mikey,
I am also a Fidelity guy. When I looked at the detail for PCRIX, it indicated the minimum for REtirement accounts was $2500. It also showed the 250k minimum but right below was the lower amount for retirement with additional purchases at same level.
PCRIX has a $75 transaction fee while the Class C PCRDX is a No-transaction fee fund so there is some savings especially on a roundtrp to offset the higher BP expense ratio.
Nwsteve
Old 02-16-2005, 02:01 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The $250,000 minumum at Fidelity is a bit steep!
The nice thing about Fidelity is that they seem to be open to negotiating over the phone. Call and see what they can do for you...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 03:54 AM   #8

Quote:
vanguard offers them for very low minimums...something like 2500 or 5000...in your vanguard brokerage account.

I placed a market order for PCRIX with Vanguard late Thursday night. As of Saturday morn, no trade. Hopefully its just compu-lag. Time to call my friendly Stepford Vanguard associate.

BUM
Old 03-05-2005, 05:42 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I have PCRIX with Vanguard... it filled the next business day when I bought.

Gonzo
Old 03-05-2005, 09:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Have any of you found ways to gain access to PIMCO institutional shares without putting $250,000 into each one you wanted?
I can get them through TD Waterhouse. The minimums are $1000 initial investment and $500 subsequent for a taxable account. In an IRA those levels are half that. The transaction fee varies between $30 and $75 depending on the dollar amount invested.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:58 AM   #11

E-trade treats this fund as a no-load, no-transaction fee fund. However, the fund may impose its front-end, back-end or 12b-1 charges.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:51 PM   #12

Quote:
I have PCRIX with Vanguard... it filled the next business day when I bought.

Gonzo

Hi Gonz,

Got it!. Yep Vanguard was just slow in updating my port. You wernt charged any load or 12b fees were you? My only fee (I hope) was $35.00 transaction fee.

BUM