Join Early Retirement Today
Old 06-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #41
Excellent discussion. Although DH has no interest in making investment decisions, I have him do all of the tracking of our investments so he at least knows what we have. I've also written out some instructions (although this is a good reminder that I should review and update them once a year) and we also have a fee-based financial planner that he is comfortable with should he need additional advice. I'm also in the process of simplifying wherever possible, closing out several of the non-tax-advantaged accounts (yes, taking the capital gains hit, which was one reason I hadn't done it when I was working - with a lower income now it doesn't hurt so much). I also plan to talk with Vanguard about consolidating some old IRAs we both have into our rollover IRAs there (it used to be that you couldn't mix rollover and "old" IRA money but I think that is no longer a problem).

"One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute." William Feather
ER'd Oct. 2010 at 53. Life is good.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by brett View Post

Finding a new investment advisor was part of our plan for early retirement. Apart from the usual requirements, I wanted someone who my spouse felt comfortable with. It took us a good six-nine months to find the right fee for service advisor.

DW is good to go if I fall off my perch.
I think this is probably the best solution, hard as it might be for the savvier spouse to simplify and possibly cut back on possible earnings. Maybe better to get things in order well before needed rather than expect a grieving, not financially savvy spouse to consolidate things, deal with a financial advisor for the first time, etc.

Go Cubs
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
....There are many things my husband does that I could do (maybe even better) but I step back because I want to avoid a conflict of egos.. and I assure we have those.
Husbands don't have egos. What are you talking about?
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #44
Confused about dryer sheets

I have been dwelling on providing for DW when I am unable or gone. She is in the TSP program and has an ira and roth with Vanguard. I am advising her to transfer TSP to Vanguard and incorprate it into ira. Purchase an immediate annuity with $100k. Invest balance as in Wahoo above, W &W. So that with her small pension + ss + annuity this will provide adequate monthly income.
Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
This is heavy stuff.

Basic instructions:
a) Sell everything [unless she wants to manage the standing portfolio--not recommended] and put it in Wellesley.
b) Take MRDs as required.
c) Don't spend it all.
my bumpersticker:
"I am not in a hurry.
I am retired.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Here is our plan:

1) Provide a paper trail to follow so that DW is not lost on where to start.
2) Teach her where to start the trail and periodically have her tell me where to start.
3) I write down (and periodically update) some simple ideas on how to revise our investments to be easy for her to manage. This is in the safety deposit box and the paper trail leads her there among other things.
4) Basically the advise is to go back to Vanguard for revisions to our more complex financial plans which I now do. Maybe set up roughly a simple 50/50 allocation which Vanguard can suggest based on their current methods. That should be good enough though it won't be our current brilliant strategy .

Hopefully once the dust has settled she will feel OK to really implement such a plan. Hopefully I will live forever ... but this stuff is for just in case.

Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote