Join Early Retirement Today

Platinum Visa Card
Old 12-06-2008, 05:27 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Platinum Visa Card

My bank mailed me stating I qualified for an Visa platinum card all I need to do is pay a lump sum, and the card will be on its way.

I used to think platinum was unique, but it looks like every bank is issuing one. Kinda spoils the taste.

I don't show a lot of wealth, I am most natural walking around in a work shirt and scruffy work boats. I drive a 1993 Toyota with 270,000 kms on the clock, but I would meet any net worth/earning criteria needed for such a card.

I would need a standard card for use around my friends, I would never flash anything like this around them, but there are situations where it may be useful to show a discreet sign of wealth.

I wonder if these cards are all that exclusive?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2008, 06:40 AM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

Platinum cards are really common. Loads of everyday people have one.
My question is, why do you have to pay to have one? Is it a secured card?

Old 12-06-2008, 08:55 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why would you PAY to have a credit card?

I get cash back, 25 day interest free and it's a platinum card. They just sent it to me and increased my credit limit. I didn't normally use what I had but did get close when I booked expensive trips. I pay it off safely before the payment due date.

I don't "not use" my card in front of people. I don't see any particular status in what color credit card I have. Someone else with a platinum card might have a $60,000 balance they can't ever pay off. That's a lot lower status to me than someone with a plain-jane card that's paid off every month.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:57 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulNZ View Post
...there are situations where it may be useful to show a discreet sign of wealth.
Please provide some examples.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:57 AM   #5

PAY to get the card? Ick, I feel unclean.

My CU keeps sending me stuff to "upgrade" my gold Visa to Platinum, but I just don't see the need. It would cost nothing, but I don't know that the platinum benefits are a big deal to me. I also don't know if that would close my (19-year-old) Visa account with them and start a new one (not good for the old FICO) or be a continuance of the original account. I could call and confirm, I guess, but it's not that big a deal and there's always a chance they could screw up and close a seasoned account and open a new one.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Please provide some examples.
I can see some occupations (such as a real estate agent) where it might be a career advantage to look successful (nice cars, "platinum" credit, that sort of thing). In the eyes of some, it could equate to being successful at what they do (i.e. selling houses) which would be a "sell" to potential clients.

For most people, who cares?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 12-06-2008, 09:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
PAY to get the card? Ick, I feel unclean.

My CU keeps sending me stuff to "upgrade" my gold Visa to Platinum, but I just don't see the need. It would cost nothing, but I don't know that the platinum benefits are a big deal to me. I also don't know if that would close my (19-year-old) Visa account with them and start a new one (not good for the old FICO) or be a continuance of the original account. I could call and confirm, I guess, but it's not that big a deal and there's always a chance they could screw up and close a seasoned account and open a new one.
My account number stayed the same. It still has the same "customer since" date on it. I'm not particuarly worried about the impact on my credit score for this minor change even if they did change my number. Last time I checked three years ago the average was over 800.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:17 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

The platinum card is strictly a form of penis enhancement for the card holder.

Believe me, the chicks at the grocery store, Lowes and Home Depot don't even notice. They probably just give a little laugh inside and think, just another white haired old geezer flashing his big credit limit around.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone that notices what CC I use is not worth impressing.

Jeb
Old 12-06-2008, 11:44 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Never relized that "Means of DEBT" are used to show wealth. Thats funny!
Old 12-06-2008, 11:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYDREAMER View Post
Never relized that "Means of DEBT" are used to show wealth. Thats funny!
I know this board is going to be overrepresented with people who espouse the LBYM lifestyle and who despise debt (myself included), but there are occupations where projecting a successful image can be important. I'm not sure how much a "platinum card" would do that, but some "success symbols" that seem frivolous to many people can be helpful in some lines of work.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:56 AM   #12

I just checked my CC and it is Platinum Visa (from Penfed CU) - and it replaced my Amex Blue Cash 'cos it has better cash back rewards. (no fee either of course).

However, a few months back we hired a car while on vacation in France and my Platinum card was not acceptable by Hertz as a guarrantee for the larger vehicle we needed for 4 adults with luggage for 2 weeks.

Had to use my Amex Blue Cash (both have same limit). On returning the car I was able to pay with my Platinum Visa.

Anyone who is impressed by the color of your CC is not worth impressing.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:25 PM   #13

yikes. sorry, that's all i got.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:06 PM   #14

I thought the only difference between a platinum card and most of th e rest is the platinum offered some kind of incentive for using it. I get credits to buy stuff from a catalog.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post
I thought the only difference between a platinum card and most of th e rest is the platinum offered some kind of incentive for using it. I get credits to buy stuff from a catalog.
At my CU (the one that is trying to get me to upgrade to platinum), there are apparently some extra concierge platinum benefits over the gold card, but nothing I plan to use. Besides, their cards give no points or cash back, so I almost never use my CU Visa Gold as it is -- just enough to keep it active, since it's a very old, established account which helps the ol' credit score. So I've just never bothered.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
IHowever, a few months back we hired a car while on vacation in France and my Platinum card was not acceptable by Hertz as a guarrantee for the larger vehicle we needed for 4 adults with luggage for 2 weeks.
Another "gotcha" was that the minimum age to hire this class of car was 30 so DD and SIL (aged 27) could not be named as drivers.

I've traveled and hired cars abroad a lot and this was the first time I've come across either situation.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:24 PM   #17

Paying a lump sum up front sounds more like a scam than an offer. Visa Platinum is not an exclusive card by any means.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:39 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I got my first Platinum card probably 15 years ago. I now have three or four of the things, including the prudent PenFed card and it never entered my mind that there was some status supposed to be associated with one. I have NEVER noticed anyone paying the least attention to a CC being platinum.

It's just one more GD credit card as far as I can tell.

As far as impressing the distaff side of humanity, I'm repulsive enough that a fistfull of these puppys would not be able to overcome the inherent revulsion.

NEVER pay for one. Most people can get at least a dozen for free.
I probably get an offer a month from a new issuer for these objects.
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 04:57 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post
The Visa cards offered by my credit union distinguish between their Gold and Platinum offerings as follows:

Gold: Int rate = 9.9%. No incentive points.

Platinum: Int rate = 12.9%. Includes incentive points.

I took the Platinum because I never have to pay the interest (never carry a balance) and I use the incentive points to buy a plane ticket for DW to go visit her sister every spring.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:09 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't pay a lump sum to secure a platinum card--that sounds like a scam.

Alan, that's very weird that Hertz would not accept the Visa card to guarantee the car--was Visa being overly diligent in not allowing what it might construct as a suspicious use of the card (once there was a hold on our account when we bought a computer out of state to be shipped to a different address than ours)? What a pain--what if you didn't have the Amex to use?

Our CapitalOne Platinum Visa (they sent a platinum, we didn't request it) doubles the warranty period on items purchased with it (up to an additional year), provides $100,000 of travel accident insurance for loss of life or limb while traveling, and gives us free CDW coverage when we rent a car. I wouldn't pay extra for a card that offered any of these "benefits" and I imagine it costs Visa virtually nothing to provide them.