Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Pleasant surprise on 2012-2013 auto renewal
Old 10-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,461
Pleasant surprise on 2012-2013 auto renewal

Just received our 2012-2013 auto renewal in the mail. We have 3 cars: me , DW and DS (who will turn 24 this month).

Total premium is 27% lower than last year. The premium for the vehicle DS drives is 38% less than last year, I presume due in part to his being a year older. The premium for the vehicles DW and I drive is 18% lower.

No recent claims but I suspect perhaps some surcharges for prior claims a few years ago have run their course.

Has anyone else seen their auto insurance drop recently?
__________________

__________________
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ST LOUIS
Posts: 994
If I remember it drops around age 25. No more drops unless low mileage or retirement.
__________________

__________________
Proverbs 15:22 Designs are brought to nothing where there is no counsel: but where there are many counsellors, they are established.
rec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Largo
Posts: 1,945
There's no way you live in FL!
__________________
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,988
Mine (with Farmer's) was slated to increase by a hundred or so dollars.

I chose to shop around and found a great deal at Liberty Mutual (getting an affinity discount for the college I attended)...which met my previous coverage and then some...for about 200-300 dollars less than I had been paying.

I called my prior agent asking if he would 'meet or beat' it. He said he couldn't even come close.

omni
__________________
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Largo
Posts: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Mine (with Farmer's) was slated to increase by a hundred or so dollars.

I chose to shop around and found a great deal at Liberty Mutual (getting an affinity discount for the college I attended)...which met my previous coverage and then some...for about 200-300 dollars less than I had been paying.

I called my prior agent asking if he would 'meet or beat' it. He said he couldn't even come close.

omni
His commission would be gone!
__________________
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 8,620
A nice drop when I turned 65 last year. Honestly, I'm amazed at how little we pay, since we have two cars with plenty of insurance coverage, and I have always put on at least 20K miles a year.

Of course, being a USAA member for over 40 years is probably a big part of it, as is the fact that we haven't had a claim (knock wood) in well over 20 years. I guess having our house insured with them is also a help.
__________________
Pas de lieu Rhône que nous.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Largo
Posts: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
A nice drop when I turned 65 last year. Honestly, I'm amazed at how little we pay, since we have two cars with plenty of insurance coverage, and I have always put on at least 20K miles a year.

Of course, being a USAA member for over 40 years is probably a big part of it, as is the fact that we haven't had a claim (knock wood) in well over 20 years. I guess having our house insured with them is also a help.
USAA customer for 30 years, clean driving records, low mileage rating on both cars equals high rates in one of the fraud capitals of the country (Tampa Bay area)! At least with USAA, I know it's all about what the numbers say and not about them deciding to make more more bucks profit off us this year.
__________________
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,461
I actually had USAA in mind and thought that I might qualify because my (deceased) Dad was a veteran (I never served), but the rep told me that he would have to be a USAA member in order for me to qualify.
__________________
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
USAA customer for 30 years, clean driving records, low mileage rating on both cars equals high rates in one of the fraud capitals of the country (Tampa Bay area)! At least with USAA, I know it's all about what the numbers say and not about them deciding to make more more bucks profit off us this year.
Recently switched from USAA as they raised our rates third year in a row (was a good rate in the beginning three years ago when I switched over to them). Clean driving record and retired - no new cars or move. Went back to AARP for home/car and beat USAA by over 10%. Will probably have to play the game again in a few years if AARP follows course.

Was not pleased with USAA having an independent company calling on the pretense of doing a survey and really looking for a reason to modify the policy - while it was still in force. First year they did this and was not aware of it - they rewrote the policy and dropped the cost by a dollar (yes, rewrote the policy midstream for a dollar less). Would have had real heartburn if it went the other way. Told USAA should call and discuss policies when they were about to expire, and not 2-3 months into the policies.
__________________
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Largo
Posts: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz View Post
Was not pleased with USAA having an independent company calling on the pretense of doing a survey and really looking for a reason to modify the policy - while it was still in force. First year they did this and was not aware of it - they rewrote the policy and dropped the cost by a dollar (yes, rewrote the policy midstream for a dollar less). Would have had real heartburn if it went the other way. Told USAA should call and discuss policies when they were about to expire, and not 2-3 months into the policies.
Wow. That's weird. Haven't had that happen yet. I've never received an unsolicited call from USAA in all the years I have been with them.
__________________
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 8,620
I wasn't familiar with this either, but found an informative page on the USAA website.

About Professional Surveys, Inc. -- FAQ
Quote:
PSI is a data collection agency located in Largo, Fla., that USAA uses to help with auto insurance reviews. PSI has over 30 years of insurance industry survey experience.
Quote:
We regularly survey a sampling of members, so you may be contacted as often as once a year. The survey information helps us update your policy to be sure we offer you the best services and rates available.
Quote:
PSI conducts a brief phone survey to ask about the vehicles and drivers in your household, how many miles each vehicle is driven annually and the drivers' eligibility for discounts. The survey also asks the drivers’ marital status, date of birth and current employer.
By verifying that information, we ensure that your policy and premium are accurate.
__________________
Pas de lieu Rhône que nous.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #12
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz View Post
Recently switched from USAA as they raised our rates third year in a row (was a good rate in the beginning three years ago when I switched over to them). Clean driving record and retired - no new cars or move. Went back to AARP for home/car and beat USAA by over 10%. Will probably have to play the game again in a few years if AARP follows course.

Was not pleased with USAA having an independent company calling on the pretense of doing a survey and really looking for a reason to modify the policy - while it was still in force. First year they did this and was not aware of it - they rewrote the policy and dropped the cost by a dollar (yes, rewrote the policy midstream for a dollar less). Would have had real heartburn if it went the other way. Told USAA should call and discuss policies when they were about to expire, and not 2-3 months into the policies.
We used to get that all the time from State Farm, at least one per year per car. Back in the day when we had kids away from home in college and I had recently left wo*k. I suspected then it was because changes in these things, like a child returning home, would have big impacts on the overall policy cost. The surveys stopped once the kids moved out of the house and I updated my employment status to retired.
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Largo
Posts: 1,945
Now that I think about it, USAA used to send out paper surveys for updates to be provided. I don't remember seeing them anymore.
__________________

__________________
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:01 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.