Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2019, 01:03 PM   #261
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
timo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bernalillo
Posts: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
You say this as if such a determination about laziness has no merit. Evil exists. Lazy is a serious expression of evil.
I see the old Puritan work ethic is still popular.

But I'm wondering what you consider lazy? There are a reasonable number of people that are just plain unemployable. [Unemployable simply means businesses will not hire them]. Children, elderly, and the disabled. Additionally, there are caretakers that can not be gainfully employed and also take care of the children, elderly, and the disabled. The caretakers are anything but lazy.

For some reason people seem think that the beneficiaries of reputable charities and government programs are all able-bodied slackers. Statistics from the reputable charity groups show that assumption to be false.
__________________

__________________
"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" Michael OíNeill

"We can cannot compel others to do our will" Norman Goldman
timo2 is online now  
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2019, 01:15 PM   #262
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
The caretakers are anything but lazy.

+1 I feel very fortunate that I've never been in a position where I've had to choose between earning a good salary or dedicating all my time to caring for a loved-one who would otherwise be neglected.
__________________

Which Roger is offline  
Old 12-02-2019, 01:24 PM   #263
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ExFlyBoy5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Country Living
Posts: 3,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Thanks for the referral of Fisher House. I do work with Hero's On The Water. We take disabled vets and first responders out on kayaks fishing. It's amazing what a little time on the water does for these brave men and women. Most recently was a VA hospital; they pulled up to the docks in a bus and every one of those vets was in wheel chairs. We got them outfitted, on the water and catching fish. When it was time to serve them lunch, they didn't want to come in! So we set up a small webber BBQ on a kayak and floated around serving hot dogs and hamburgers right on the lake.

One man in particular, a Vietnam Vet, had not so much as a family member visit him in years. He didn't want to fish so I suggested we just paddle a round some. We settled into some cattails and I asked if he'd mind if I threw in a line. This lake is a pro bass fisherman's practice lake, easy to do 100+ fish-a-day hook ups. I caught one on my first cast. He asked if I had another rod and of course I did. He caught a few fish, then started telling me a story about how his mother would take him fishing as a child. It was so heart breaking to hear this man tell me his story and that he's pretty much alone in this world.
Great story, thank you for sharing! It's amazing how such simple things that many of us take for granted (such as a day of fishing) can bring absolute joy to someone.

In regards to the Fisher House Foundation; my first experience with them was when I was stationed at Dover AFB. For those that aren't familiar, Dover is where the remains of military members are repatriated and processed through the mortuary. Anyone who flew these missions into Dover know what it entails and how tough this can be on families. Fisher House is where most of these families stay when waiting for their loved ones to come home and I have heard countless stories from the families about the comfort that the Fisher folks brought them in the darkest periods of their lives. But, they do much more than that. They also provide great housing for those families who might have a love one going through medical procedures (short and long term)...much like Ronald McDonald House.
__________________
Retired in 2014 at the Ripe Age of 40
ExFlyBoy5 is offline  
Old 12-02-2019, 01:38 PM   #264
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Rianne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Champaign
Posts: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
In regards to the Fisher House Foundation; my first experience with them was when I was stationed at Dover AFB. For those that aren't familiar, Dover is where the remains of military members are repatriated and processed through the mortuary. Anyone who flew these missions into Dover know what it entails and how tough this can be on families. Fisher House is where most of these families stay when waiting for their loved ones to come home and I have heard countless stories from the families about the comfort that the Fisher folks brought them in the darkest periods of their lives. But, they do much more than that. They also provide great housing for those families who might have a love one going through medical procedures (short and long term)...much like Ronald McDonald House.
Valuable information! I volunteered at Ronald McDonald House in St. Louis. Amazing organization that provided a homelike environment for family members to relax and/or grieve the health situation of a loved one. We were there to serve. Nothing more gratifying. RMD provided everything a family could need, including transportation to the hospitals.
__________________
"If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.
Rianne is offline  
Old 12-02-2019, 10:17 PM   #265
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Placerville
Posts: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
I see the old Puritan work ethic is still popular.
Thank you for the complement.

Quote:
For some reason people seem think that the beneficiaries of reputable charities and government programs are all able-bodied slackers. Statistics from the reputable charity groups show that assumption to be false.
From the testimonies I and others have posted, you couldn't be more wrong.
skipro33 is online now  
Old 12-02-2019, 11:18 PM   #266
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
That is odd, since the U.S. bond market is larger than the U.S. stock market. That math doesn't add up. AAII is aimed at stock picking, so perhaps they are talking about brokerage accounts only?

And Fed is not an acronym, it is an abbreviation (pet peeve thread material).
Individuals own 15% of the US Federal Debt, which is around 23 trillion so a little over 3 trillion. of the 9 Trillion Corporate debt, most is owned by pension funds 9 percent is owned by individuals. In Japan, the Japanese Central bank buys 100% of the issuance of Japan government bonds and owns 85% of all stock ETF’s.l This is the same path the US govenment is on. In the past month the US Central Bank has purchased more bonds in a month than individuals purchase in years, 100 Billion over the weekend. They had to reverse course because the market is not big enough for US debt and interest rates were getting away from them.

https://global-macro-monitor.com/2019/01/23/ownership-and-profile-of-the-corporate-bond-market/
Running_Man is offline  
Old 12-03-2019, 12:42 AM   #267
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
timo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bernalillo
Posts: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Thank you for the complement.

From the testimonies I and others have posted, you couldn't be more wrong.
Skipro33: my comments were not meant as an insult to you or anyone else and I apologize for not being clear on that.
__________________
"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" Michael OíNeill

"We can cannot compel others to do our will" Norman Goldman
timo2 is online now  
Old 12-03-2019, 10:02 AM   #268
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Chuckanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 9,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Mostly we donate locally except for the Salvation Army. I worked closely with them for 30 years in 3 states because they had programs to help our clients. The major and his wife take a small salary and a number of years ago I found the amount that goes to the clients and itís amazing. They keep very little. Even though I am not religious theirs is truly dedication to work so hard for so little. Military people between WW 2 and Vietnam hate the Red Cross if they were in need and ever asked them for help.
I noticed that the Salvation Army bell ringer at my local market has a sign with a symbol on it allowing one to contribute with Apple Pay. It's nice to see them being modern. I toss a check in every year since I have seen the good work they did and still do.
__________________
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline  
Old 12-03-2019, 11:36 AM   #269
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 220
Ref Fisher House. In San Antonio, there are 3 on the Brooke Army Med Center campus. They do wonderful work. Volunteers prepare meals for them, offer lodgings for family for those undergoing longterm treatment (think burn injuries and other really horrific things) I just shepherded a grant request from them through a Charitable org for which I sit on the board. They requested funding for queen size sheets and blankets, and they gave us a very reasonable quote for a hotel supply company. I hear nothing but good from this outfit here.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline  
Old 12-04-2019, 10:50 AM   #270
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
You say this as if such a determination about laziness has no merit. Evil exists. Lazy is a serious expression of evil.
Perhaps. Some people certainly are - but what constitutes being 'lazy'? Is it poverty? We judge most people in poverty without knowing whether or not they are evil, or how they became poor. We just assume thy are 'lazy' because they are needy. To be rich/successful implies that you didn't break any rules for some weird reason. We all know that's false... The inverse of that statement is equally false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
No one is allowed to ignore the problem. They are instead made to feel guilty about their status and prosperity. We are constantly bombarded by ads trying to guilt the haves into financial aide to the have-nots. Usually by thieves trying to skim those funds to their own pockets.
The label of "lazy" is one way to ignore the problem. "Welfare Queens" was a label that was used to label all black women who are on government assistance, not just specific ones. The policy discussions that came from that did not try to discriminate between "good" vs. "bad" Welfare Queens.

Guilt is a terrible way to fulfill social needs. (Ed: Guilt is almost the opposite emotion of hate, and is used in much the same way to promote a social agenda, albeit usually a positive one.) Taxes are much better, but these 'guilt-based' organizations exist to fill a genuine need that Govt. does not - because corporations and un-woke white people write most tax policy. Generalizations are never completely accurate. I could easily make the argument that certain corporations - like Wells Fargo, or Payday loans - are the real thieves, but they can never go to jail. What's up with that? YMMV
Starsky is offline  
Old 12-04-2019, 11:01 AM   #271
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
Generalizations are never completely accurate.
I could say that about most of your comment.
Music Lover is offline  
Old 12-04-2019, 11:02 AM   #272
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
GravitySucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Syracuse
Posts: 2,250
"What is middle class morality? Just an excuse for never giving me anything"
~Alfred Doolittle

Excuse me, but to say "Lazy is a serious expression of evil" to a group that gathers to discuss how to not work again is a bit demeaning.
__________________
ďNo, not rich. I am a poor man with money, which is not the same thing"
GravitySucks is offline  
Old 12-04-2019, 12:12 PM   #273
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
RobbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central CA
Posts: 4,556
Hehe, yeah. I can think of far more serious expressions of evil than lazy. Lazy seems a minor at best.
__________________
Retired at 59 in 2014. Should have done it sooner but I worried too much.
RobbieB is offline  
Old 12-04-2019, 12:16 PM   #274
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 285
A oldie but goodie...


Ed: My wife gave this to me one birthday several years ago. Some background: she had worked as an executive secretary for Sol Price, founder of Price Club, and for the Board of Directors of Qualcomm, so she got to really watch how the rich move and shake. TLDR; They live in another world. I also have a very good friend in the Bohemian Club - Jesus, he has stories you wouldn't believe. I call it the Star Chamber. Google it.
Starsky is offline  
Old 12-04-2019, 12:52 PM   #275
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Placerville
Posts: 943
Lazy is a root of evil, just like the love of money. Lazy usually goes hand-in-hand with crime; too lazy to work, just steal it and rationalize the action because life isn't fair and eventually, rich-guy owes it to me, would have been mine if I was given the same unfair advantage... yada, yada, yada. Same old excuses for just poor moral compass. Self discipline is becoming a lost art. Folks here practiced self discipline and make it a life-style. Even in retirement, we still do by following forums like this one to stay informed.
skipro33 is online now  
Old 12-04-2019, 02:09 PM   #276
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 13,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Lazy is a root of evil, just like the love of money. Lazy usually goes hand-in-hand with crime; too lazy to work, just steal it and rationalize the action because life isn't fair and eventually, rich-guy owes it to me, would have been mine if I was given the same unfair advantage... yada, yada, yada. Same old excuses for just poor moral compass. Self discipline is becoming a lost art. Folks here practiced self discipline and make it a life-style. Even in retirement, we still do by following forums like this one to stay informed.

I know lots of folks who could work your lazy ass into the dirt. They maybe arenít blessed with the intellect or demeanor or whatever to be a CEO, but they sure arenít lazy...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline  
Old 12-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #277
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
ls99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,215
All this beating on the lazy, hmmm, just remember:
If necessity is the mother of invention, then lazyness is the father.
__________________
There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline  
Old 12-04-2019, 02:36 PM   #278
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
RobbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central CA
Posts: 4,556
Yup, I enjoy being lazy. That's why I retired -
__________________
Retired at 59 in 2014. Should have done it sooner but I worried too much.
RobbieB is offline  
Old 12-04-2019, 02:45 PM   #279
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,199
I'm not lazy. I'm just great at looking busy and making a lot of noise.
__________________
ďPeace is not something you wish for; Itís something you make, something you do, something you are, and something you give away." - John Lennon
candrew is offline  
Old 12-04-2019, 03:37 PM   #280
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
ls99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,215
In my time in the Army, carrying a clipboard with a bunch of papers and occasionally making notes avoided a lot of "detail" work.
__________________

__________________
There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (0 members and 5 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Phone commercial insults older people... Chuckanut Other topics 35 05-31-2013 08:00 AM
Older People mickeyd FIRE and Money 6 06-17-2010 10:53 PM
If GM Goes Chapter 11: Retirees' Plight windsurf FIRE and Money 93 04-25-2009 10:17 AM
People who do polls about people who do polls about people in California-friendly? FUEGO Other topics 22 04-22-2009 09:57 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:49 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×