Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What do you use for tax preparation?
TurboTax 86 60.14%
HR Block 21 14.69%
TaxAct 20 13.99%
Liberty Tax 0 0%
Tax Slayer 1 0.70%
Jackson Hewitt 0 0%
Professional Tax Preparer 5 3.50%
Don't do no stinking taxes 0 0%
pink pearl and number 2 2 1.40%
other - specify 8 5.59%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2016, 02:22 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Been using Turbotax for a long time, lately at a good discount through Fidelity.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2016, 02:33 PM   #22
Administrator

I have used TurboTax every year for nearly forever. I'll probably buy the CD version from Amazon.

I don't want to change because I like it and it is familiar to me. Software that in any way eases my angst when doing taxes, is worth a few bucks extra.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 02:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinancebuff View Post
Where do you see it? TurboTax 2016 Deluxe is listed at $60 right now on Amazon. According to this history data chart, TurboTax 2015 Deluxe was about this price at this time a year ago.

TurboTax Deluxe 2015 Federal + State Taxes + Fed Efile Tax Preparation Software - PC/Mac*Disc (B01617VPUY) | Amazon price tracker / tracking, Amazon price history charts, Amazon price watches, Amazon price drop alerts | camelcamelcamel.com

Then it went down to between $35 and $45 from January to April.
Last year I used taxact and got it on a preorder for the downloaded version for $18,95 and got the primium with state. This year looks like $45 for a lower grade. It was either last year or the year before that TT has a large increase that had many up in arms. I did not check all prices for all products. But the price have been on the rise. TA increased this year even if I did not have a pre-order.
Old 11-13-2016, 03:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Current lock in price for TaxAct is $18 for TaxAct Plus (includes itemized). I was upgraded to Premium for 2015, but it's overkill if you are not self-employed. Plus version covered all the schedules needed for itemized deductions.
I believe TA is changing $25 for the state add on this year. Much more than previous years. On the download version it does not seem to be optional
Old 11-13-2016, 03:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
are there any tax programs that work with linux? I recently had a fed up fit with windows and changed to ubuntu
I don't know of any that natively support linux. However I have run TaxAct in the past on linux with out issues. YMMV
Old 11-13-2016, 06:35 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
Last year I used taxact and got it on a preorder for the downloaded version for $18,95 and got the primium with state. This year looks like $45 for a lower grade. It was either last year or the year before that TT has a large increase that had many up in arms. I did not check all prices for all products. But the price have been on the rise. TA increased this year even if I did not have a pre-order.
TT's product downgrade was rolled back. Prices didn't change. The price increases you see are limited to TaxACT under new ownership.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:36 PM   #27

The cheapest Block is what I've been using. Was called TaxCut. I did a side by side on the cheapo vs premium, and couldn't see the difference.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I pay full price for TurboTax premier (CD version) every year and always will. Just love it. I can adjust all my numbers to plan for next year, I don't have to know tax law, just fill in the info and watch the dancing numbers.
+1

Like to get early to plug in income expected & thus amount of taxes to pay from my IRA withdrawal at end of year. Paying full $90 vs. trying to figure how to pay say $50/60 is chicken feed in the scheme of things. Better things to worry about.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:01 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
I don't know of any that natively support linux. However I have run TaxAct in the past on linux with out issues. YMMV
I have used the web version of TaxAct since 2009 while running Linux.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:31 AM   #30

Used TurboTax for many years. But, I jumped ship a couple of years ago when they tried to downgrade features. After a hue and cry, they reversed it but I had bought HR Block by then.

I haven't decided totally what I will do this year. I think both work, but I slightly prefer Turbo Tax, just felt it was a little easier to use. But, I am still irritated at them over how they treated their customers so not sure.

(Oh, I use the downloaded version)
Old 11-14-2016, 06:31 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

I used taxhawk for a few years. federal is free and state is 12.95, good software, no problems, covers about any scenario you can think of. will use it again this year.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:39 AM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
+1

Like to get early to plug in income expected & thus amount of taxes to pay from my IRA withdrawal at end of year. Paying full $90 vs. trying to figure how to pay say $50/60 is chicken feed in the scheme of things. Better things to worry about.
+1 / Amen. My time is far more valuable than the discount.

As an aside, I've *never* filed electronically. Just a pet peeve of mine. Filing electronically saves the Government money, and as such, it should be free. (geez, I sound like a Sanders-guy.) So I print 'em out and send 'em in. I like the feel of paper and I trust the US postal system.

Also, I want the CD and to run everything locally. In general I don't fret over big brother and what's in the cloud... but I'm just more comfortable this way.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:19 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Been using TT Premier because DW will have a continuing $30K "stipend" that qualifies as self employment income with two states to file in until she is 75. Easier to pay the TT freight than try to deal with this by hand or pay an accountant.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:24 AM   #34

I'll hold my nose (after the significant price increase and re-bundling of features) and continue to purchase the top package of TaxAct for non-professional individuals. I will also purchase my State package too.

I also download the software and run it on my own PC to maintain my access to it. (assuming there are no major DRM features that will turn off my software in the future).

I am hoping that TaxAct will run a Black Friday sale as they did last year.

-gauss
Old 11-14-2016, 08:28 AM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Fidelity has been giving me a free TT Premier, so I'll wait for that. If they don't, I'll probably buy it at Costco when it goes on sale.
+1
Old 11-14-2016, 08:32 AM   #36

I still use TT even though, in my view, they have had some questionable business practices over the past few years. I'll usually buy the Premier edition to be reasonably sure I get all the features I want.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:44 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
The cheapest Block is what I've been using. Was called TaxCut. I did a side by side on the cheapo vs premium, and couldn't see the difference.
A long time ago I used Block (Taxcut) and found an error in the AMT processing. I double checked this using TT at the time. Block was no help at the time, so I switched. I don't expect my issue would be common to many filers and now I my taxes are much more simple. So I don't expect I'd need to worry about it with the product ... plus it has been many years and the product has changed.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:02 AM   #38

"Other"

Whichever program has the best rebate on refunds at Amazon. We've planned overwithholding the past couple of years to get 10% add on to our refund when it is directed to our AMZN "gift card" balance.

First used it to continue TT, but last year it was HRBlock (I think). Not that much difference between the programs and getting several hundred extra to pay me for doing our return was nice.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:13 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I use H&R block and will buy it whenever it drops in price to $25 or less for the Premium version.

I decided years ago to not use "cracked" versions, as I cannot really trust the hackers to keep the code clean and resist the temptation to add in a virus/keylogger.

Anyone know of other investment firms that hand out free ones ?
I use Premium as well. I have NEVER seen it for $25.

Mike
Old 11-14-2016, 01:56 PM   #40

Been using TT since 1996 no need to change now!