Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Don't do no stinking taxes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • pink pearl and number 2

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • other - specify

Votes: 8 5.6%

• Total voters
Last year I used taxact and got it on a preorder for the downloaded version for $18,95 and got the primium with state. This year looks like $45 for a lower grade. It was either last year or the year before that TT has a large increase that had many up in arms. I did not check all prices for all products. But the price have been on the rise. TA increased this year even if I did not have a pre-order.
TT's product downgrade was rolled back. Prices didn't change. The price increases you see are limited to TaxACT under new ownership.

The cheapest Block is what I've been using. Was called TaxCut. I did a side by side on the cheapo vs premium, and couldn't see the difference.

I pay full price for TurboTax premier (CD version) every year and always will. Just love it. I can adjust all my numbers to plan for next year, I don't have to know tax law, just fill in the info and watch the dancing numbers.
+1

Like to get early to plug in income expected & thus amount of taxes to pay from my IRA withdrawal at end of year. Paying full $90 vs. trying to figure how to pay say $50/60 is chicken feed in the scheme of things. Better things to worry about.

Used TurboTax for many years. But, I jumped ship a couple of years ago when they tried to downgrade features. After a hue and cry, they reversed it but I had bought HR Block by then.

I haven't decided totally what I will do this year. I think both work, but I slightly prefer Turbo Tax, just felt it was a little easier to use. But, I am still irritated at them over how they treated their customers so not sure.

(Oh, I use the downloaded version)

I used taxhawk for a few years. federal is free and state is 12.95, good software, no problems, covers about any scenario you can think of. will use it again this year.

+1

Like to get early to plug in income expected & thus amount of taxes to pay from my IRA withdrawal at end of year. Paying full $90 vs. trying to figure how to pay say $50/60 is chicken feed in the scheme of things. Better things to worry about.

+1 / Amen. My time is far more valuable than the discount.

As an aside, I've *never* filed electronically. Just a pet peeve of mine. Filing electronically saves the Government money, and as such, it should be free. (geez, I sound like a Sanders-guy.) So I print 'em out and send 'em in. I like the feel of paper and I trust the US postal system.

Also, I want the CD and to run everything locally. In general I don't fret over big brother and what's in the cloud... but I'm just more comfortable this way.

Been using TT Premier because DW will have a continuing $30K "stipend" that qualifies as self employment income with two states to file in until she is 75. Easier to pay the TT freight than try to deal with this by hand or pay an accountant.

I'll hold my nose (after the significant price increase and re-bundling of features) and continue to purchase the top package of TaxAct for non-professional individuals. I will also purchase my State package too.

I also download the software and run it on my own PC to maintain my access to it. (assuming there are no major DRM features that will turn off my software in the future).

I am hoping that TaxAct will run a Black Friday sale as they did last year.

-gauss

I still use TT even though, in my view, they have had some questionable business practices over the past few years. I'll usually buy the Premier edition to be reasonably sure I get all the features I want.

Last edited:
The cheapest Block is what I've been using. Was called TaxCut. I did a side by side on the cheapo vs premium, and couldn't see the difference.

A long time ago I used Block (Taxcut) and found an error in the AMT processing. I double checked this using TT at the time. Block was no help at the time, so I switched. I don't expect my issue would be common to many filers and now I my taxes are much more simple. So I don't expect I'd need to worry about it with the product ... plus it has been many years and the product has changed.

"Other"

Whichever program has the best rebate on refunds at Amazon. We've planned overwithholding the past couple of years to get 10% add on to our refund when it is directed to our AMZN "gift card" balance.

First used it to continue TT, but last year it was HRBlock (I think). Not that much difference between the programs and getting several hundred extra to pay me for doing our return was nice.

I use H&R block and will buy it whenever it drops in price to $25 or less for the Premium version.

I decided years ago to not use "cracked" versions, as I cannot really trust the hackers to keep the code clean and resist the temptation to add in a virus/keylogger.

Anyone know of other investment firms that hand out free ones ?

I use Premium as well. I have NEVER seen it for $25.

Mike

+1 / Amen. My time is far more valuable than the discount.

As an aside, I've *never* filed electronically. Just a pet peeve of mine. Filing electronically saves the Government money, and as such, it should be free. (geez, I sound like a Sanders-guy.) So I print 'em out and send 'em in. I like the feel of paper and I trust the US postal system.

Also, I want the CD and to run everything locally. In general I don't fret over big brother and what's in the cloud... but I'm just more comfortable this way.

Back in early 2000's, I mailed a paper return in. Months later received a notice that I owed a penalty of underpayment of estimated taxes. Protested that they were incorrect as I had uneven income that year and according to Schedule 2210AL, did not owe any such penalty. Come to find out that they had no record of the 2210AL being filed......in the transcription of the paper info into the computer system, they "lost" it. First thing IRS does (after removing any checks/money) is to enter your tax info into the computer system. After that six months of back and forth hassle, I became a strong proponent of electronic filing. And with IRS budget cuts, I expect any manual processing to get worse.

Every year there's a Slickdeals thread on H&R Block CDs where folks get different offers from them, down to around $5-10 for Deluxe (including fed and state e-file). I wait for that thread to get posted with the ISO and for others to verify that it's good then buy it from Block using that copy.

Been working great for a few years now. I also get a copy in the mail from them every year but don't get that good of a deal.

Back in early 2000's, I mailed a paper return in. Months later received a notice that I owed a penalty of underpayment of estimated taxes. Protested that they were incorrect as I had uneven income that year and according to Schedule 2210AL, did not owe any such penalty. Come to find out that they had no record of the 2210AL being filed......in the transcription of the paper info into the computer system, they "lost" it. First thing IRS does (after removing any checks/money) is to enter your tax info into the computer system. After that six months of back and forth hassle, I became a strong proponent of electronic filing. And with IRS budget cuts, I expect any manual processing to get worse.

BTW, I won the argument.

I vacillate between TurboTax and H&R Block. I get ticked off at TurboTax and then switch, etc. Inertia will probably keep me with TurboTax this year.

I tried to save money one yer by not downloading a second state version since i worked across the state line from where I lived. I thought I could do the simpler state in Excel. I am VERY computer-friendly and have been doing my own taxes (with software) for years. The form looked simple but had all kinds of "mini-worksheets" and other minefields and I royally screwed up. I threw myself on the mercy of a good CPA who helped straighten it out.

Our taxes include itemized deductions and investment results so the simplified versions won't work. This year I'll file as a widow, so that complicates it, too. Definitely need the software. Sometimes I swear they let the tax code get so complicated knowing that it was OK because people would buy software to handle it.

I get free e-file when using turbotax - for the feds. So I e-file.
State costs to e-file... so I mail.

...I tried to save money one yer by not downloading a second state version since i worked across the state line from where I lived. I thought I could do the simpler state in Excel. I am VERY computer-friendly and have been doing my own taxes (with software) for years. The form looked simple but had all kinds of "mini-worksheets" and other minefields and I royally screwed up. I threw myself on the mercy of a good CPA who helped straighten it out.

[/LEFT]

If I recall, you have MO as one state. No matter how easy Kansas is, the barking mad MO form for nonresident couples would create issues!

(And best wishes for you as this year closes. ....)

I've used H&R block in the past but last year I switched to TT premier free from Fidelity.

Hopefully Fido offers it again this year if not I may go back to H&R block.

Last edited:
If I recall, you have MO as one state. No matter how easy Kansas is, the barking mad MO form for nonresident couples would create issues!

(And best wishes for you as this year closes. ....)

Yes, it was KS that I thought I could do in Excel so I downloaded MO. Fortunately 2015 was the final year for dual state returns. We moved to MO last year and I'm retired so it's 100% MO.

TurboTax for my personal return; H&R Block Business for a multi-state partnership return.

I don't like the HRB user interface, but now that I've mastered its quirks I can get the job done.

Been a fan of TT for many years. Of course I loved it when it was free at VG but now I am so familiar with it and have come to rely on it I don't mind paying a few bucks for it.

I must be a big shot now!

Back
Top Bottom