Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: After becoming FI, did it get easier or harder to deal with office BS?
I found it harder to deal with aspects of my job I did/do not like. 51 35.17%
I found it easier to deal with those. 70 48.28%
No change to my attitude. 16 11.03%
No idea - I quit the moment I became FI! 8 5.52%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Vacant at Work
Old 12-10-2014, 06:58 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Vacant at Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
With 11 weeks to go, I have become positively vacant at work. I don't attend any useless meetings anymore, say no a lot, am way less social, and ignore anything the least bit petty. Fortunately, I've been doing this so long I still continue to add value.
This describes me almost perfectly.

CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2014, 08:54 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
With 11 weeks to go, I have become positively vacant at work. I don't attend any useless meetings anymore, say no a lot, am way less social, and ignore anything the least bit petty. Fortunately, I've been doing this so long I still continue to add value.
This looks like me, although I have at least 5 more years to go.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

So when you hit your limit and have 29yrs with megacorp should you quit or retire. What's the difference from HR stand point ?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-13-2014, 02:18 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

I find it very hard. I have 13 1/2 months until I am 55, but who is counting. At 55 I will have retiree medical and access to 401K without penalty, so I am trying to hang in there.

The pressure to work with fewer on the team, work more hours and not to take vacation days (yeah got 5 weeks this year and have 2 weeks still from last year, but can't seem to get them in) is stressing.

First time since I was a kid I wished I was year older!
Old 12-14-2014, 12:09 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
This will probably be my plan once I give notice in February. I keep waffling back and forth on whether I'm going to tell them I'm leaving for more money, so I can squeeze them for everything I can my last few months (I know they'd throw money at me to stay if they thought I was leaving for another job), or if I'm just going to tell them I'm quitting entirely and leaving the IT field (which is the true story).

The problem with telling them I've leaving for more money means that yes, they'd throw money at me to get me to stay, but there would also be heightened responsibilities and expectations, and I'm not sure it would be worth it just for a few extra thousands of dollars.

On the other hand, if I tell them I'm quitting for good and I'm not leaving just for more money, then I get to be a lame duck my last few months. I could come in late, take long lunches, leave early, not attend anymore BS meetings, and do a little turnover and documentation, and not have to care. With only about 8 weeks to go until I'm fully vested, I'm already mentally checked out of the place anyway. Turning in my notice just makes it official.

I wouldn't mind an exit strategy that just consisted of setting my own schedule while they scramble to do all the knowledge transfer they can before I walk out the door for good.

I would absolutely love to Decline every meeting invite for three months, and there's nothing they could do about it.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:29 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

It got easier for me. I worked a few years past FI until I was ready to go and I took a surprise buyout offer. But then my management didn't want to let me go, so they rearranged my job to avoid anything I find unpleasant. I guess they saw how doing the parts I enjoy and am good at helps the business while my results from the parts I never liked were nearly worthless. Anyway after a couple of years of this new arrangement, I find I'm actually looking forward to Monday mornings, and management seems to be happy with the outcome.

This sweet deal probably can't last for long, all it takes is some management reshuffle and my special treatment days are over. Hopefully that restructuring comes with another buyout I can take. Gone are the days where I'm doing anything I don't want to-- at least for work.