Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: For financial planning purposes, what age of death? Are you M or F?
M, under 70 2 0.72%
M, 70-79 8 2.87%
M, 80-89 53 19.00%
M, 90-99 107 38.35%
M, over 100 22 7.89%
F, under 70 0 0%
F, 70-79 2 0.72%
F, 80-89 15 5.38%
F, 90-99 49 17.56%
F, over 100 13 4.66%
Huh? I wanted to vote but honestly, none of these choices are right for me. 8 2.87%
Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Age of Death for Retirement Planning
Old 08-05-2016, 04:51 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Poll: Age of Death for Retirement Planning

What age of death do/did you assume when planning your retirement and figuring out how long your money must last?

This is just the theoretical age at death which we use in retirement planning. It is not how long you actually expect to live.

We were talking about this in another thread and I am curious as to what age people are using. I am also asking if you are male or female, since on average I think females live a few years longer than males.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2016, 04:55 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I use 100 for the both of us... not sure if we'll be able to stand each other that long but ok for planning.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:58 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I used 87, but the last "estimator" said 85.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:02 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Since I collect a DB that will be cola'ed in a few years I "assume" I will never run out of money before I die.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:03 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I use 100 for the both of us... not sure if we'll be able to stand each other that long but ok for planning.
+1. No relative of ours has lived past 90 so far, so it seems generous enough.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:04 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Since I collect a DB that will be cola'ed in a few years I "assume" I will never run out of money before I die.
Right! Then probably the last option would be the best choice for you, since you don't have to use an age of death in your retirement planning.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:04 PM   #7

I put female 90-99.

I actually use 90 for myself, 99 for my husband. (But have all sorts of other plans if one of use dies early). He's 9 1/2 years older than me (I'm his trophy wife, LOL). I'm pretty sure I'll die sooner, despite the age difference, based on family genetics. His dad died at 90, his mom turns 90 this year... My parents died at 67 and 77, 3 of the 4 grandparents died in the 60's and 70's. My grandmother is the outlier, lived to 91.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:04 PM   #8

I plan on being shot and killed at the age of 95 by a 20-year-old jealous husband.

Oh, and I have a DB COLA'd pension.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:05 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
So I read that a couple has a good chance of 1 of them making it to a ripe old age, so that is the age I used.
I suspect it will be DW as per normal, so I put down F
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:08 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
.... (I'm his trophy wife, LOL).....
My DW is a trophy wife too, but since the age difference is a matter of weeks, its a tiny trophy...
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:15 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

My calculator gives 88, and I add 5 for planning. I also don't count SS and my WR will only be 1.5% at the start, so it may not really matter.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:27 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Age of Death for Retirement Planning

I use 95 but have the spousal social security stop at 85.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:31 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
So I read that a couple has a good chance of 1 of them making it to a ripe old age, so that is the age I used.
I suspect it will be DW as per normal, so I put down F
Good point, so I entered F to reflect planning for my DW's age.

I'm always curious about these comments of "my calculator says age XX". The Life Expectancy calculators I've seen are dealing with medians - 50% of the population will make it to that age and beyond. Beyond is not given (unless you have the option to lower the % remaining). The Vanguard calculator (linked on the FIRECalc page) does this in reverse - give it the ages and years, and it gives you the remaining population %.

So if someone says their calculator says they have a LE of 88, that means they have a 50% chance of living beyond that age. Aren't they planning for the other 50%?

As W2 mentions in the OP, there can be a big difference in your planning, and how long you actually expect to live. For the same reason I buckle my seat belt, but never plan to need it.

So anyway, I said 100. Why not? You only need a bit more conservative WR to add a few more years, and at that point, we are probably near a 'forever' WR anyhow.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:37 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

With 2 DB pensions and SS it does not matter but I voted for 80-89. Most everyone in my family lived this long or into their 90's.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
I use 95 but have the spousal social security stop at 85.
This was the type of thing I was referring to in my earlier post. I have spreadsheet scenarios for me dying younger (and my pension/ss going away, plus tax status changing to single for DH)... and him dying younger and his SS going away, and my tax status changing to single.... Those are actually harder scenarios to plan for.... loss of an income stream double whammied with the less favorable tax status.

I've also factored in memory care/assisted living. This seems likely for DH based on his family history. (His dad had dementia... his mom has dementia)

I'm hoping we both live longer, don't develop cancer (my side) or dementia (his side) and our low withdrawal rate allows us to live perpetually, then die suddenly, in our sleep.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:56 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I used models up to 120 (medical breakthroughs extending life)

Honestly I don't think I want to live that long not even sure about 90+ but I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to run out of $$ at 89 and be healthy so I over estimated...a lot
Old 08-05-2016, 05:59 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have planned consistently using 95 for me and 92 for DW. She is younger, so I am effectively assuming that we go out together! Her family history says mid 80's is generous, and mine says if I get past about 70 in good health, then I will hit the mid 90's. Who knows what the final answer will be, but since my plan shows 100% success (FIRECalc and FIDO), the planning age doesn't really matter.

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:33 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I am ultraconservative financially, and have always used 100 for both of us. Little chance of her hitting it, and no chance for me. But we're planning on leaving money to later generations, so having too much isn't a problem. While we might have worked longer than we actually had to, we still retired at 50 and have had a great 10 years so far. Also, I had to stay at work to get guaranteed health care coverage (pre-ACA).
Old 08-05-2016, 08:17 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Some people are saying what they use for both parties, but the question was not that...

I use 90ish for me, but will probably not make it...

However, DW is 10 years younger and I am planning with her in mind... too bad she is not... when she goes over budget I will just tell her that we have enough money for my life, but I cannot vouch for hers... all this does is get her upset, but she does not change her ways... Oh well....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:32 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Grandma made 100. No one else made it past 84 and that includes grandparents, parents, aunts & uncles. Average age was 78, 81 if I subtract out the smokers.

So 95 it is. I see nothing in my health/lifestyle to place me in Grandma's footsteps.
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote