• 51-55

Votes: 66 18.9%
  • 56-60

Votes: 20 5.7%
  • over 60

Votes: 10 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am pretty sure I hit the $1 million mark in 1995 which would have made me 35 or 36 depend on when during the year I hit it.

Hit it last year at age 43. I started with almost zero in 1997. It took 15 years to reach a Mil mark. some lucky decisions along the way. Now it's $1.2M last check. WOW, the snow ball is gaining momentum. It gets to the point where my money makes more than me now. Any one feel that way?

Never made it, but could maybe qualify with inflation adjusted numbers from 1992, three years after we retired. :)
86 responses... wow!

Poverty has its' own rewards, or, as we used to tell Franchise applicants...
"Never pay income taxes again."

Last edited:
52 including tax differed, 53 1M tax differed (at .2M cost basis) + .3M after tax w/o home equity

Age 42 for DW and myself in 2007.
(exclusive of residence)

For me, it was at around 40.

But, but, but a $1M then was worth $1.5M now. ;)

32. March of 2013.

Almost half way to the next million milestone now.

Age when you became a millionaire

I think age 45.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Mine would have been in 2010 at age of 43 for first million (single).
Then went above $2M in 2012 (married).
Currently $3M (married with retirement house bought).

If you are married, do not forget to divide it by two...

I was filling out a mortgage application, and the NW statement showed $1.1M based on a conservative estimate of property values. Since then, about 3 years later, it has exceeded $2.3M.

I hit investable assets over $1M this year, at age 54, but I have since used some of it to pay off a mortgage. I should hit it again within 6 months.

Last edited:
$1 mil = at 34 in May 2007
$2 mil = at 39 in Jan 2013
$2.9 mil = at 40 in Jun 2014

Investable assets (not including paid for home, vehicles, business, etc)

I'm thinking 35 or 36 but I wasn't paying very close attention at that point.

Hit it the first time at 38 (August 07)
Hit it again at 39 -- this time on the way down! (Sept 08)
Hit it back on the upside again at 40 (April 09).

Hopefully we are now far enough on the upside that we won't ever see ourselves down in that range again.

How about an option for "I don't have a million yet"?

That would be me - and I'm already ER'ed! (Current age is 50, about to turn 51).

You guys still gonna talk to me, or will it be one of those things that over time, I notice I'm not being invited to as many events as I used to be, or I see you guys in a group on the other side of the room talking - and I'm not part of that group.......or I walk into the room and it goes strangely silent :LOL:

However, with a 760K portfolio, an AA of ~60/40, and a draw that is ~2% of the current value, I occasionally wonder when I'll hit $1M.

Never had a million, not likely that I ever will. But real comfortable.

Kind of neat that the millionaires were so easily flushed out of the woodwork.

51, just a few months ago. That does include my pension lump sum if I were to retire today. This excludes my home net value -- if I counted that, I probably hit $1MM some time last year.

Age 52. As others have said, the second million comes a lot easier. We're pretty close to $3 million now and I expect we'll get there even though I'm retired since our drawdown rate is likely to be about 2.5% per year over the next few years, and is likely to decrease after that as SS and a small pension kick in.

Counting only my investments, I first hit the $1M mark about a week before my 47th birthday in April, 2010. I soon fell below $1M but got back above $1M in September, 2010. I nearly fell below it again in 2011 but stayed above it barely and have been above it ever since.

If I included the value of my co-op apartment, I first went above $1M some time in late 2006 or early 2007. I did not record the apartment's value so I can only make a best guess. Also, back then I did not record my 401k/ESOP account's value every month (I was still working). My age, either way, would have been 43, which is why I answered the poll "41-45."

How about an option for "I don't have a million yet"?

That would be me - and I'm already ER'ed! (Current age is 50, about to turn 51).

You guys still gonna talk to me, or will it be one of those things that over time, I notice I'm not being invited to as many events as I used to be, or I see you guys in a group on the other side of the room talking - and I'm not part of that group.......or I walk into the room and it goes strangely silent :LOL:

However, with a 760K portfolio, an AA of ~60/40, and a draw that is ~2% of the current value, I occasionally wonder when I'll hit $1M.

Right - give em the razzberry or the middle digit if they don't look tooo mean.

1993 - maybe 250k. I didn't go to the monthly retiree's lunch for 5 yrs till 55 when my early pension check arrived.

heh heh heh - then did some temp work (1yr) in the 90's but the big dog was time in the market. ;)

Back
Top Bottom