Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Are credit card charges the same as debt
Yes, current credit card charges are the same as debt 67 41.36%
No, current credit card charges are not the same 88 54.32%
Another poll? Really? Too busy to answer 7 4.32%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #141
Recycles dryer sheets

The topic is reminiscent of medieval scholasticism and the debate the number of angels who can fit on a pin, although more entertaining.

This has essentially been our method of paying regular monthly expenses for years. For daily purchases, instead of using cash, a debit card, or writing checks, we generally use a credit card that is repaid monthly through bank payment out of checking, and at the same time returning 2% of charges which we use for travel. I'm flying to Dallas next month to check on the Aged Parent, using some of the the cc points. Almost every regular monthly expense, like utilities and the small mortgage, are paid by automatic bank payments. We probably write no more than 1-2 checks a month.
We have always paid the monthly "expenses" in this manner for more than a decade. In practice (the real world as opposed to the accounting terminology world), it is no different than using cash or a debit card or check to pay these expenses.
To call it a debt is correct, but in reality it is debt that I ignore. It is a convenience that AmEx electronically breaks down charges into categories, which is useful each month as a visual budget audit and that these charges go automatically into Quicken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
No need to break out the accounting textbooks. I think most would agree that any unpaid CC balance is technically a debt that must be repaid. But when it's paid off in full every month, with no interest charges, and usually a cash back credit or some other reward, this is hardly "debt" in the usual sense, or in context of the prior poll (at least that's my interpretation of the intent of the prior poll). More importantly, the lowest level answer for that poll was "<10%" of total assets. My average unpaid CC balance is 0.14%. I would think others who just use CCs for cash back rewards, would be similarly low. So answering "<10%" would be grossly misleading IMHO. I answered that poll, "no debt" and this one "no."

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Scary that people who are so misinformed are allowed to vote.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:54 PM   #143
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

If I eat in a restaurant and nobody has brought me the bill yet, am I in debt?

I shall meditate further on this ..
Old 09-28-2016, 12:55 PM   #144
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Unless I'm totally missing the point, the clue "At the breakfast table" is a reference to Gulliver's Travels and the opening of boiled eggs, rather than computer memory.
Did someone mention Gulliver's Travels?

https://youtu.be/qhPfmafo12A

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:56 PM   #145
Recycles dryer sheets

You always open on the little end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post

Old 09-28-2016, 12:58 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post

Now I hear there's talk of making it into a book.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:09 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
Even if you pay your credit cards in full before your payment is due, your credit report will still show you have debt. The only way for your credit report to show you have no debt is to pay off your balance in full the day before your billing cycle ends. That way your bill will show a zero balance.

So, I vote that if your credit report shows you have no debt, then I will agree with you that you have no debt.

However, I think the way some people are arguing, "the moment you swipe a card, you owe a debt" then you would also have to all your bills as debt as well. The moment you turn on that light switch you owe the electric company, the moment you own a house (even if paid off) you owe real estate taxes, etc. Unless you are prepaying for all those services, then no one could could ever be debt free by some of your definitions.
Interesting - I always pay my credit cards off the day before they are due simply because when I first started with e-billpay I wouldn't get the payment acknowledged immediately and paying off a day ahead solved that problem.

Also give me a 1 day window if something goes wrong....
Old 09-29-2016, 10:54 AM   #148

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Right but does it hurt your credit score?
Old 09-29-2016, 11:50 AM   #149
Full time employment: Posting here.

By the strictest definition of debt, everything you buy puts you in debt, at least temporarily (until you've handed the money to cover the charge). So that lunch out put you in debt, the trip to the grocery store put you in debt.

From a personal finance perspective, I treat a credit card bill that is paid in full each month the same as I treat a grocery store bill that is paid in full before I walk out of the store... not as debt.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:36 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Interesting - I always pay my credit cards off the day before they are due simply because when I first started with e-billpay I wouldn't get the payment acknowledged immediately and paying off a day ahead solved that problem.

We pay our's off as soon as the statement is cutoff. Why wait? Interest is so low it really doesn't make any difference and I like to clear things up ASAP. I know some people who pay them every day. That seems a little excessive but would certainly keep things in control.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:10 AM   #151
Recycles dryer sheets

It's an investment

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
... I don't actually "owe" the money to the CC until the due date. Since I pay it off by that date (if not a little before), then I not only don't owe the money, but in most cases I'll be rewarded for using the card. ....
Yep, using the card and getting cash back is an investment.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:45 AM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Right but does it hurt your credit score?
who knows?
Old 09-30-2016, 08:48 AM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
We pay our's off as soon as the statement is cutoff. Why wait? Interest is so low it really doesn't make any difference and I like to clear things up ASAP. I know some people who pay them every day. That seems a little excessive but would certainly keep things in control.
It's a cash flow thing. Yep - 1% is little. But if I transfer the funds earlier to pay as soon as I receive the bill, I lose out almost a month's worth of interest, and it does add up over the long run. We often have high credit card bills - especially after traveling. I like waiting until the next month to pay it, and it give me time to adjust the amounts for the next month's auto transfer.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:21 AM   #154
Recycles dryer sheets

As many here, I pay the CC bill in full every month along with the electric and gas bills. Since my monthly CC bill is <0.1% of my net worth, I don't consider it as "debt" in any of my financial calculations other than estimating future annual expenses. I can't imagine what else those numbers would be used for that required better than 3 significant digits of accuracy. It really doesn't matter if the CC is used for 1, 10 or 50% of my monthly expenses. Yes it is technically debt, as are accrued real estate taxes and many other day to day recurring expenses.