Yes, current credit card charges are the same as debt 67 41.36%
No, current credit card charges are not the same 88 54.32%
Another poll? Really? Too busy to answer 7 4.32%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2016, 12:24 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Technically yes, but in practice "no" if paid in full each month with no carrying/finance charges. If it is debt, to me everyone would have debt. Example, my monthly electric and water bills are based on usage playable only "after" I use it. Is that debt? Technically yes, but not really for practical purposes.
This is the right answer. Regardless of the correct accounting term (current debt) used to describe it, for most people that pay off bills every month it does not count as debt.

And it shouldn't, because there's no intent to borrow money over time here. And by time I mean more than the due date of the bill.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2016, 12:31 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
However, I think the way some people are arguing, "the moment you swipe a card, you owe a debt" then you would also have to all your bills as debt as well. The moment you turn on that light switch you owe the electric company, the moment you own a house (even if paid off) you owe real estate taxes, etc. Unless you are prepaying for all those services, then no one could could ever be debt free by some of your definitions.
That is indeed the problem with their argument - if you're not either prepaying or paying with cash the instant you buy or consume anything then you must have debt and so very few can be truly debt-free. Everyone here answered the debt to asset poll incorrectly if they said they had no debt, even if they don't use CCs.

Problem is few see it that way regardless of the accounting principles involved, and that's because we're not running households under GAAP.

Ergo, CC bills paid off every month are not debt under commonly accepted usage. They are debt under the strict definition of it. Reasonable people can and will disagree but note that this poll is in favor of the No's.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:06 PM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

How's this? When I pay off my card, I pay the total outstanding balance, not just what made it into that month's statement. So at least once a month I'm credit card debt free! HA!
niven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:06 PM   #124
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As a public service.....cross posted on What Have You Read Recently?

Finished No Man's Lands and thoroughly enjoyed it..........even found what could be an oblique reference to those partaking in the Current Credit Card Charges thread, and which will undoubtedly clarify matters:

Quote:
Regarding Homer, the experts agree on these facts: Homer either did, or did not exist; he lived in the ninth century BC, unless it was the eighth, or tenth, or not at all; he wrote The Iliad and The Odyssey, or one of them, or neither, or perhaps other lost poems; either he actually wrote or he dictated, since he was either literate or illiterate; either he was blind or he was not; and he was born, if he ever was, in Smyrna - or in Argos, or Chios, or Colophon, or Salamis, or Rhodes, or Athens. That's the general agreement. If you go beyond that, people begin arguing.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:26 PM   #125
Full time employment: Posting here.

I consider credit card balances mid cycle as debt. However, from a practical perspective, it's not an issue. Hair splitting as others have said.

Plus, when I do my end of month net-worth/investment calculation, I do a mid-cycle online payment to clear my all my credit card balances before tallying up investments.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:48 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVRRocketSurgery View Post
Plus, when I do my end of month net-worth/investment calculation, I do a mid-cycle online payment to clear my all my credit card balances before tallying up investments.
Executing real-world transactions to get accuracy...now THAT is bowing to the GAAP gods!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:04 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by niven View Post
How's this? When I pay off my card, I pay the total outstanding balance, not just what made it into that month's statement. So at least once a month I'm credit card debt free! HA!
Most people would pay the statement balance and people on autopay pay the statement balance so they'll likely have charges between the statement date and when their payment is posted.

If you get online and pay the total outstanding balance then you are debt free for an instant unless some charges sneak in between when you pay and when your payment is posted.

We use our card for just about everything so it could happen, but not likely. I don't at all mind being in debt.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:05 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post

Next Poll: At the breakfast table: Big-Endian or Small-Endian?
After decades of doing embedded programming - mostly on Motorola cores... Big Endian for sure.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:00 PM   #129

Definitely Big Endian, although with Java et al it really doesn't matter now.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:23 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
Definitely Big Endian, although with Java et al it really doesn't matter now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
After decades of doing embedded programming - mostly on Motorola cores... Big Endian for sure.

Unless I'm totally missing the point, the clue "At the breakfast table" is a reference to Gulliver's Travels and the opening of boiled eggs, rather than computer memory.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:11 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Just like I'm retired, except for those odd few days every couple of months or so that I work earning $$$.

Under GAAP rules, perhaps I'm not retired
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:52 AM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Unless I'm totally missing the point, the clue "At the breakfast table" is a reference to Gulliver's Travels and the opening of boiled eggs, rather than computer memory.
I never knew the term was derived from Gulliver's Travels. From wiki:

Quote:
In the discipline of computer architecture, the terms big-endian and little-endian are used to describe two possible ways of laying out bytes in memory. The terms derive from one of the satirical conflicts in the book, in which two religious sects of Lilliputians are divided between those who crack open their soft-boiled eggs from the little end, and those who use the big end.
-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:06 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I never knew the term was derived from Gulliver's Travels.
Which is why, answering 2017ish's comment on 'breakfast', I responded as I did on post #111 of this thread.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:08 AM   #134
Give me a forum ...

For practical purposes, CC charges, used for monthly bills, daily purchases, etc., then paid in full each month, are not debt. I get cash back, air miles, and convenience, plus some minuscule "float", so who is in debt to whom? 😎

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:36 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
That is indeed the problem with their argument - if you're not either prepaying or paying with cash the instant you buy or consume anything then you must have debt and so very few can be truly debt-free. Everyone here answered the debt to asset poll incorrectly if they said they had no debt, even if they don't use CCs.

Problem is few see it that way regardless of the accounting principles involved, and that's because we're not running households under GAAP.

Ergo, CC bills paid off every month are not debt under commonly accepted usage. They are debt under the strict definition of it. Reasonable people can and will disagree but note that this poll is in favor of the No's.
I agree. As long as I pay off the billed amount in full by its due date, whether it is a CC bill or a utility bill or something similar, I am debt-free. The billing entities choose to bill me when they do and set up the due dates to avoid any penalties or interest charges. I am just playing by their rules. I don't consider the short amount of time between the use of their money or services prior to paying them to be debt. Also, some monthly services bill me in advance of using them (i.e. phone company's monthly fee for basic service) , so is that "anti-debt?"
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:02 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I never knew the term was derived from Gulliver's Travels. From wiki:

-ERD50
To close the circle, I had no idea of the computer architecture borrowing of the term until the past year or so! Thought it might be reciprocal, hence the "at the breakfast table."
Old 09-28-2016, 11:21 AM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Great way to spend time. Trying to classify an entry the classification of which clearly depends on what purpose you have in mind, and in any case has zero importance unless you are considering bankruptcy or perhaps becoming a factor.
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:33 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We are always in debt, all the time. It is just that the debt has not been billed yet.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:46 AM   #139
Recycles dryer sheets

It's Schrodinger's cat! It's debt and not debt until we "observe" it - by paying the bill before any interest is due!

There, I'm glad I solved that for all time.
niven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:55 AM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just when I think Bogleheads has the most anal discussions, you people make me reconsider.

Here's a favorite saying - "A difference which makes no difference is no difference". Make of it what you will. I'm sure both sides can use it.

They need to hang out with "Dumb people" more like I have to. That will change the discussions quickly. I actually heard a person say yesterday she was not voting for "Hillary" next year because of her health concerns. If she couldnt be president, Obama gets to serve another 4 years and that person did not want that to happen... What can you say....And so I didnt .....
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote