Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you consider social responsibility when choosing investments?
No, not at all. 34 39.08%
Not in choosing investments. I support my chosen causes in other ways (e.g. donate money or volunteer). 40 45.98%
I've thought about it, but right now it's not my top priority. 7 8.05%
I have taken some steps in that direction (e.g. investing in screened mutual funds). 4 4.60%
Social responsibility is a high priority for me. I consider it in all my investment decisions. 1 1.15%
It's of the utmost importance to me. I don't invest in anything that doesn't meet my social responsibility standards, and/or am a shareholder activist.. 0 0%
Other (describe if you wish). 1 1.15%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2010, 11:14 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
What did Apple do that's so terrible? Please, please don't tell me I will have to get rid of my Macs and switch to PCs due to Apple's despicable corporate misdeeds!
Truly, I don't know. I just assumed that since Steve Jobs has been such a flaming a-hole for so long he must have effected the ozone layer at some point.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

I've done it with my bank.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:23 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I've done it with my bank.

I switched from a faceless mega-bank to a local bank in Boston that pays its employees a living wage, provides discounted loans for local home-owners trying to make their homes more energy efficient, is trying to get ALL its buildings LEED certified, and places an emphasis on local charitable causes. It cost me nothing extra in fees or lost interest.

I'd like to do it with my stock holdings. I don't even like buying petroleum products because I know my money is finding its way to religious nut-jobs in the mid-east who would have me (an infidel!) put to death if they they could. The idea of investing money into one of their enterprises sickens me. Yes, I want a good return, but one percentage point isn't worth losing my self-respect.

But, as people have said, as an index investor it's hard to say where your money is. Perhaps when I do FIRE I'll have the time to do it. I'd be willing to take a hit on my return to know I'm not giving money to maniacs who are killing innocent people. If "other people are going to do it anyway" let them, I'd rather sleep at night.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:42 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Truly, I don't know. I just assumed that since Steve Jobs has been such a flaming a-hole for so long he must have effected the ozone layer at some point.
Well, that's a relief!
Old 04-10-2010, 09:10 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

A long time ago I owned some Calvert funds. They significantly underperformed my traditional funds and were load funds. For that reason I've not tried again. If there were a socially responible group of funds with low management costs and good performance, I would do it again. I just have never run across much that fit the bill. Matter of fact does anyone have any recommendations?

I was thinking about investing in a commodities fund not long ago and noticed their number one holding was Monsanto. I consider Monsanto one of the least responsible companies in the US and immediately rejested the fund.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:32 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger r View Post
A long time ago I owned some Calvert funds. They significantly underperformed my traditional funds and were load funds. For that reason I've not tried again. If there were a socially responible group of funds with low management costs and good performance, I would do it again. I just have never run across much that fit the bill. Matter of fact does anyone have any recommendations?

I was thinking about investing in a commodities fund not long ago and noticed their number one holding was Monsanto. I consider Monsanto one of the least responsible companies in the US and immediately rejested the fund.
I don't know it would be possible to reduce the expenses of an SRI fund. Unless the screening were done by volunteers, it will add to the cost/reduce the performance. For some people that's a tradeoff they are willing to make.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but maybe some kind of investment Wiki would make low-expense SRI possible. I have only a vague understanding of how a wiki works, but I think anyone could add info about any fund or individual stock, concerning a product or practice they consider praiseworthy or objectionable, and anyone can (if they wish) use that info as input to their investment decision making. In fact, an investing wiki already exists. I haven't looked around it to see if it includes info that would be relevant to SRI, but it's possible.