Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Are you an Introvert or an Extrovert?
Introvert 193 91.04%
Extrovert 19 8.96%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I used to be in sales for a telco......recall receiving an internal company call, (we weren't able to differentiate then), and having the caller, from another department, say "It's always great to call you, you're always so upbeat"............I replied "I'm working".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Back to the original post, regarding the book Quiet, be sure to watch the author's TED Talk entitled, "The Power of Introverts." Just outstanding. Funny, entertaining, educational, and so on target with the way I feel sometimes. Especially the trend to open workplaces. I just love my little box, and I hate that they are tending to tear down those little walls that separate me from my co-w*rkers.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

As I remember from the test they gave us at work, I am a flaming INTJ. Results repeated three times over 15 years. Nothing was borderline.

My wife (same company) was the same, though her N was more wishy washy than mine. And I fake E better than she does when I have to.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #24

INTP, but my DW claims that some E comes out with a beer or two, hehe. The MB literature even says that under relaxed conditions is your default type, but under stress things can be significantly different. So under VERY relaxed conditions, I'd say might also be different!
Old 08-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #25

I'm going to guess not many of us had retirement parties either...
Be interesting to know if the small number of Extroverts are strong extroverts.
TJ
Old 08-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
I'd be interested to know how many were thrown a retirement party even though they said no, then were no shows...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Be interesting to know if the small number of Extroverts are strong extroverts.
TJ
Very strong E here.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
How does that affect communication at home? If you have children, are they introverted? I would imagine that growing up with two introverted parents could lead to introversion in the children.
No kids of our own to screw up.

After a week at work where she talks non-stop all day long, DW is usually pretty quiet on the weekends. So we don't spend a lot of time chattering. Yet I feel like DW and I have a good level of communication. Sometimes a single glance says more than a thousand words.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
How does that affect communication at home? If you have children, are they introverted? I would imagine that growing up with two introverted parents could lead to introversion in the children.
For me, it is not good: DD and her mother are both pretty far down the E spectrum while I am so far at the I end some folks have, jokingly I assume, referred to me as mildly autistic. (Of course, there are other things I do not understand about them; they are both cat people too. I am allergic.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I used to be in sales for a telco......recall receiving an internal company call, (we weren't able to differentiate then), and having the caller, from another department, say "It's always great to call you, you're always so upbeat"............I replied "I'm working".
This is the bit that I find most people do not understand: For me, putting on any kind of sales performance, most certainly including dinners and other forms of entertaining clients, is definitely work. While I can do it, it does tire me out terribly.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #30

I am considered an extrovert but needed help getting there. Back in my early years with GM, they formed a class on "How to Win Friends and Influence People", the Dale Carnegie course. Part of the program was effective speaking and coming out of your shell. I know it helped me and later it rubbed off on my wife, who is now the world's biggest extrovert. Then the daughter (thirteen at the time) needed help coming out of her shell. While we were in Pittsburgh, we enrolled her in the Barbizon School of Modeling, which really changed her personality and poise. She gained a lot of self confidence which changed her completely. Money well spent. You can be changed.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My wife and I are both introverts (INTP for me, I want to say my wife is IFSJ, I am sure about the I and J) and my daughter is very, very, very extroverted, has been since the day she was born. My wife's family (of 6 kids) are half and half and my daughter is a lot like one of her extroverted aunts.

I am pretty sure my son will be an introvert (he is only 4) like his parents.

Its is kind of handy to have an extroverted child, as she improves our social life a bit (but not too much).
Old 08-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm the I, while DW is the E.
Funny, but among all the couples we consider close friends, there is always a pair of opposites. The genders are irrelevant; it can go either way, but we don't seem to associate with any pairs who are both either I or E. And most of the time they are each pretty far out on their respective scales.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

DH is quite extroverted. I am less introverted in little things as I grow older, especially with helping out vs contributing to awkward silences, making people comfortable, etc., in social situations. But all in all I prefer being invisible.

I've noticed unscientifically that extroverts often have a well-developed sense of entitlement.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:

TJ
This made me laugh out loud! The military REALLY pushes those retirement ceremonies. I had to say "no" to the pomp and circumstance a ridiculous number of times.

I was told soooo many times that I would "regret" not having a ceremony. It's been 7 years, and not a sign of regret yet!!

Edit: I am an INFP. REALLY strong on the I
Old 08-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #35

I am an introvert. Other than my square dancing and volunteer work, I am not around groups of people. It also contributed to my hating the commute I had (public transit) when I was working. I participated in nearly no nonwork activities at my old job, skipping every office party and nearly all luncheons. I requested that there be no farewell luncheon when I left the company, too.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #36

INTJ here. The various tests I have taken all indicate a moderate level of introversion but I think that's a bit off, as I think of myself as a huge introvert. I am not by any means shy, and enjoy casual interaction with strangers and acquaintances but when it comes to more meaningful social time, all I need is my SO and the very occasional visit with family or friends.

The main thing that has caused me problems throughout my life is that the majority of people cannot understand why I don't want to hang out with them. The sentence "Just because I like you doesn't mean I want to hang out with you" sounds awfully harsh but in my case, it's an accurate representation of the way I feel much of the time. I have spent a fair amount of time and energy in my life trying to prevent people that I like (and who like me) from turning into friends. Once in a blue moon, I come across a person who also has limited need for close interaction and it's like heaven to know someone who instinctively understands me.

What makes it harder is that I am affable (and even at times a touch obnoxious) on the outside, so I think that many introverts wouldn't be able to spot me. The introverts think I'm an extrovert, and the extroverts think I'm one of them. It has created many awkward and in a few cases, rather ugly situations in the past with people who have become very upset with me for not being more sociable.

But it's fine. I have my SO, my 3 cats, and can live off my ~2.5% WR. What more could a person want?
Old 08-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #37
Administrator

Quote:
I asked not to have one, but unfortunately that was not my call.

So, instead of the regular retirement-lunch-in-a-fancy-restaurant party, I requested pot luck snacks, just for those I actually worked closely with, and held in a conference room. That wasn't so bad and was better for everyone's LBYM efforts since the cost of retirement luncheons were paid by attendees.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I am INTJ.

I made it thru school and career by acting "E" when I had to, but what a HUGE relief now that I am retired. Feel like I slipped out of too tight clothes.

I am single and I LOVE living/being alone. I have fought long battles with "E" types over the years, and I have ended up being best friends with the first man I was serious with because he is "I" as well. And because he lives 400 miles away, we have the perfect relationship!!!!!

IF only I had stuck with him from the beginning instead of being dazzled by "E" types!!!

ALL the "E"s are still working by the way so I do think there is something to what someone posted that they like to spend to impress...Peacocks by nature.

I LIKE QUIET!!!!!! And I dont care what anyone thinks about how I choose to live. Some members of immediate family are the worst as far as harranging me to "join in" and "find a man" blah blah blah......

I say... been there, done that, now leave me alone!!!!!

And PS-I LOVE men but for right now I am savoring being by myself!!!!
Old 08-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

+10 Major Tom!!!!!!!!

I loved your comment about "not being more sociable" God I've heard that a million times.

To me those are almost swear words.

My feelings have cost me several relationships because I could not "loosen up" with "Friends" ( another word that is WAAAAAY overused today, thanks to social media)

O well to each his own. It's a gorgeous early fall day here at my place, quiet, golden, and I LOVE the peace and quiet. I have two older, gentle cats- and they like quiet too!!!!
Old 08-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
But it's fine. I have my SO, my 3 cats, and can live off my ~2.5% WR. What more could a person want?
Same here. Yet a lot of people think that my life must be terribly unfulfilling.