Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Are you an Introvert or an Extrovert?
Introvert 193 91.04%
Extrovert 19 8.96%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
I'm going to guess not many of us had retirement parties either...
I was fine with a low key retirement party with my 80 co-workers and a nice dinner with my 8 managers, but I firmly/politely declined a lavish Corp sendoff - mostly because I thought travel expenses for all involved were unnecessary and over the top, I would have been OK with the Corp get together otherwise. The thought was enough for me, though some at Corp were angry that I didn't want a party.

I've always been an I, but happily getting more E all the time. I'm probably barely an I anymore in the real world. Life is good...

On this forum I'm probably considered an A by many some many some. No poll please...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am an introvert, but people tend to think I am an extravert, so they don't get it when I don't show up for company-wide functions (outside of business hours). It's not like I don't like people. It's just that being social tires me after a very short time, plus I get kind of bored. I do have a small circle of very good friends and that's it.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm dead in the middle between ENTJ and INTJ. Until I saw Susan Cain's video I never knew we had a name... It can be funny because my extroverted friends think I'm quiet and thoughtful and my introvert friends think I'm loud and manic. I'm married to a 100% extrovert so that makes life interesting.

I moved from a technical field into management about 15 years ago. I wish more introverts would consider management as a career. I credit much of the success I've had to the fact that I always want the right answer and don't want people to tell me what I want to hear (I already know that!). That is amazingly uncommon in my organization. Everyone seems to want to be a rock star on stage. I believe that, over time, people will respond better to authenticity and results than to who can captivate the room and/or dominate the conversation. Take away the need for attention and it's amazing what can get done.

Some of our best ideas have come from true introverts who go off and come back with the perfect solution or initiative. I value both inroverts and extroverts...I just try to keep them away from each other enough to keep them all sane.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Once in a blue moon, I come across a person who also has limited need for close interaction and it's like heaven to know someone who instinctively understands me.
I couldn't agree more.

I'm fortunate to have at least half a dozen friends like that. We see each other anywhere from once every couple of months to once every several years, but as soon as we lay eyes on each other we pick up the conversation wherever it left off last time.

Kindred spirits. The rush I get whenever I encounter one is priceless!
Old 08-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I am an INTJ and became more introverted as I began easing into ER two years ago. It's my natural state. I can be outgoing when necessary, but I often felt like I was putting on an act when doing so in a work setting. I am good at presenting to large audiences, but presenting around a room to smaller groups or in one-on-one situations has always been exhausting for me. I don't have much patience for small talk. I often find it easier to express myself in a cynical or sarcastic way. This has apparently led to people thinking that I am, well, cynical and sarcastic.

I admire extroverts, and based on what I have seen, they are more successful in business, more popular, and often happier and more sure of themselves. And, I hate to admit it, but sometimes other introverted people get on my nerves. It can take a lot of effort to get other introverts out of their shells sometimes, so I can see why extroverts get so impatient with introverts.

My career choice (marketing/advertising) tends to favor extroverts, and this explains in part why I committed to becoming financially independent at a young age. I sensed that I would always be struggling to break through and get noticed, and it was exhausting to "play the part" every day. As an introvert, I realized I did not have it in me to continue acting the part for more than a few more years.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Maybe you checked this out already...Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community - View Poll Results. 88% introverts altogether based on Briggs-Myers...
Missed that one, Midpack. Not knowing what the various letters stand for doesn't help, though.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #47

I am INFJ but always had lots of people coming to my office to hang out at work.

Since leaving, I have become more overtly extroverted just to make sure I get to see people I like. I think I'm turning into "the hostess with the mostest"!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Not knowing what the various letters stand for doesn't help, though.
Nothing like a nice, brisk Google search to clear the air!

My MBTI Personality Type - MBTI Basics - The 16 MBTI Types
Old 08-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #49

Quote:
Missed that one, Midpack. Not knowing what the various letters stand for doesn't help, though.
Some definitions here MBTI Jokes - Page 2

Descriptions
Quote:
ENTJ: Evil Overlord - Characterized by their overwhelming desire to crush the world benieth their boot.
ENTP: Mad Scientist - "Not tonight, honey; I'm inventing a gigantic robot that will melt the sun and help me enslave the human race so I can take over the world... Okay, maybe that can wait 'till tomorrow."
ENFJ: Cult Leader - "See that impossibly high mountain dappled with sharp, ominous rocks? At the very top is where we're going to meditate."
ESFJ: Control Freak - Ideal for jobs such as middle management at a large chain department store, senior bank teller, and Jedi Master.
ESTJ: Bureaucrat - Often have an abnormal obsession with being normal at any costs.
INFJ: Conspiracy Theorist - Common jobs often held by INFJs include vagrant, loony, whacko, and writer/director/producer of the television show "Seinfeld." INFJs can also be found feeding that crucial bit of information to determined FBI agents just before they are brutally murdered.
INFP: Idealist -Iirrational thought patterns may sometimes cause INFPs to run off and join the circus, the Resistance, or the Rebellion, where they tend to do well in any position requiring excellent hand-eye coordination or mastery of the Force.
ENFP: Scientologist - Always seeking the answers to the great mysteries of life, such as "Who are we?" and "How can I use two tin cans and a Radio Shack multimeter to bring enlightenment to the world?" and "What is it with UFOs and anal probing, anyway?" Famous ENFPs include anyone who has ever dated Tom Cruise.
ISTJ: Thought Police - "Keep the insanity on the other side of the internet, please..."
ESFP: National Enquirer Headline - Often die in bizarre circumstances, usually involving jealous boyfriends, exotic dancers, escaped pythons, feather boas, and falls from the penthouse floor of high-rise apartments; those who don't, usually die of veneral diseases.
INTP: Egghead - May be able to tell you how to construct a nuclear reactor from a coconut and two pieces of string, but may be completely incapable of fixing a hole in a boat.
INTJ: Outside Contradictor - Are often baffled by the strange and incomprehensible recreational rituals of other people, such as going to parties, watching television, and having sex. Instead, they prefer to spend their leisure time installing twin missile launchers in their cars to deter tailgaters.
ISTP: Psycho Vigilante - Don't often get along well with their extroverted cousins, Evil Overlords and Mad Scientists. Instead, they prefer the company of INTPs, or perhaps their pets. Romantic relationships with ISTPs tend to be drawn-out, tragic affairs, filled with bitterness, longing, and teenage angst.
ISFP: Crackpot - Seem flighty and their attention span appears short to an outsider; ISFPs live by the motto "Life is best approach--oh, look, potato chips!"
ISFJ: Martyr - You're spending the entire weekend cooking souffle for your husband's big dinner with his boss or giving over your body as a vehicle for the Shoggoth from beneath the ancient city of the Old Ones so that the Great Gods can rise again, selflessness and service are your hallmarks.
ESTP: Conman - Your greatest fear is failure. Under no circumstances will you permit yourself that kind of weakness, which makes you ideally suited for a job at Enron, where your natural talents can be recognized and rewarded.
Examples
Quote:
ENTJ: Lord, help me slow downandnotrushthroughwhatIdo.
ISTJ: Lord, help me to relax my focus on insignificant details, even though any of them may cause significant problems later. Begin this tomorrow at 8:31:04 am.
ISTP: God, please help me to consider other people's feelings, even if most of them ARE excessively hypersensitive.
ESTP: God help me to accept responsibility for my own actions, even though problems are usually NOT my fault.
ESTJ: God, please help me to not try to RUN everything. (But, if You need some help, just ask.)
ISFJ: Lord, please help me to be more laid back and help me to do that EXACTLY right.
ISFP: Lord, help me to stand up for my rights (if you don't mind my asking).
ESFP: God help me to take things more seriously, especially jokes, parties, conversation and dancing.
ESFJ: God give me the patience I need to deal with things more effectively, and I mean right NOW!
INFJ: Lord. Please help me not to be so perfectionistic! (Did I spell that correctly?)
INFP: God, help me to finish everything I sta..
ENFP: God, please help me to keep my mind on one... Look a butterfly! thing at a time.
ENFJ: God help me to do only what I can, trusting you for all the rest. But would you mind putting that in writing?
INTJ: Lord keep me open to others' ideas, WRONG though they may be.
INTP: Lord, please help me to be a little less independent - but in my own way, of course.
ENTP: Lord, please help me follow our established procedures today. On second thought, I'll settle for a couple of minutes.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth418 View Post
And, I hate to admit it, but sometimes other introverted people get on my nerves. It can take a lot of effort to get other introverts out of their shells sometimes, so I can see why extroverts get so impatient with introverts.
This made me laugh because I've found the same thing and also don't like to admit it. I think all of the time I spend around the extremely extroverted has gotten me used to letting others talk so it throws me off a bit when it gets quiet...
Old 08-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Am reading a great book called Quiet. It is all about the many strengths of introverts. It has caused me to wonder if this board leans one direction or the other.

Please post on what advantages you feel your intro/extroversion has given you in pursuing FIRE.

I will hazard a guess that we have an abnormally high percentage of introverts.
Introvert = Not sure if it has giving me an advantage.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ1_ View Post
Introvert = Not sure if it has giving me an advantage.
Maybe Introverts spend less $$ and LBYM is more natural?
TJ
Old 08-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Author of _Quiet_?

Quote:
Am reading a great book called Quiet. It is all about the many strengths of introverts. It has caused me to wonder if this board leans one direction or the other.

Please post on what advantages you feel your intro/extroversion has given you in pursuing FIRE.

I will hazard a guess that we have an abnormally high percentage of introverts.
Who's the author of this book? Thanks.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #54
Dryer sheet aficionado

A Google search found Susan Cain is the author.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #55

Yes, author is Susan Cain. Somebody linked to a good TED Talk she did that nicely summarizes the book. But, being an introvert, I still recommend the book. I'll go back to my quiet space now.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #56

Another good book is called "Introvert Advantage".
Old 08-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #57

I am surprised to see the poll is THIS lopsided.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #58

Definitely an introvert. It would be torture for me to be at a party where I did not know most of the people. I enjoy small groups of friends. I think, though, that I am perceived as being sociable and approachable in my workplace.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

A recent newspaper article (available to subscribers only) features the book in a story about workplace noise. Unwanted noise is my new pet peeve, from gyms that blast music to the little wine shop that thinks everyone walking by wants to hear the classical music from its new outdoor speakers. I wonder if it bothers extroverts.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

There's an (in)famous song about this in Australia from the X-factor TV series:

FWIW, I am proud to be an introvert - a quiet achiever.