Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Are you an Introvert or an Extrovert?
Introvert 193 91.04%
Extrovert 19 8.96%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #101
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ1_ View Post
Introvert = Not sure if it has giving me an advantage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
Another good book is called "Introvert Advantage".
Agree. Good book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I am surprised to see the poll is THIS lopsided.
Me too. I wonder if it has more to do with being a forum than being ER. I think people who inhabit forums are generally more introverted. ER might play a role, too, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I consider the MBTI to be twaddle. What type does that make me?
Quote:
Twaddle - as in a lot of solemn nonsense.

I just don't cotton to the notion of boiling people down to "types." There are at leat 7 billion types of people, and the fact that we all possess traits is hardly news. I think the whole thing was just cooked up to make money off of companies. Look at the ridiculous questions on the test (which I've been made to take multiple times at work): "Do you prefer the word 'warm' or the word 'cool'"? Somewhere, somebody is laughing...
A lot of people find M-B helpful in understanding themselves, but in the psychology community, it isn't considered a serious instrument for studying or classifying personality. The "introvert vs. extrovert" dimension is a solid one, but I wouldn't put much stock in the other dimensions (maybe thinking/feeling?).

If you want an actual, research-based, well-validated way of classifying "types," then the Big Five model is the way to go. You'll notice that the one trait dimension that appears there is the introvert-extrovert dimension. That one has definitely stood the test of time/research.

Sounds like you don't believe in the notion of classifying people into types, though, which is fine. I do think the notion of traits and types is useful in understanding ourselves and others. Personally, learning that I was an introvert and understanding the advantages/disadvantages of that helped me to become much more self-accepting (for instance, to stop struggling with myself to become more extroverted).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I think any self-proclaimed introvert with more than about 10 posts on this forum is not an introvert.
No, introverts often enjoy expressing themselves in writing. You can do it at your own pace; there is no pressure to keep the conversation moving. You can consider and edit your words before you send them out. You can pick and choose who you are going to respond to. You can type out your thoughts without worrying what you look like (I'm in my jammies right now). You can stop whenever you want and just walk away, without having to figure out how to detach yourself. The other person can't drag you into a longer discussion if you don't want it to happen. You don't have to listen to (read) people if you don't want to. There's a distance and simplicity to it -- it's not like face to face conversation, with all of its inputs and distractions. You can just focus on what you want to say.

So, for an introvert, there are a lot of advantages to talking on forums. I'm a huge innie, and I've always loved conversing on the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
The percentage of members that are introverts is amazing. Now I can see why it's easier to be members of forums such as this. The introvert never has to address the posters face to face and it's easier to take stands on issues that they would never do with someone in person. I'm not saying this is bad, it's just something I never thought about.

I would like to now from some of you introverts if I'm correct in my assumption. Is this why introverts join forums such as this?
Because it's easier to take stands than it would be in person? No, not really. I'm pretty direct in person and don't have a problem taking stands. It's more about the factors I mentioned above, imo. Although, those factors do make it easier to express myself, so in a way, I think there is some truth to what you're saying.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I just don't cotton to the notion of boiling people down to "types." There are at leat 7 billion types of people, and the fact that we all possess traits is hardly news.
Amethyst
Then you must be an INTJ

Just kidding.....I do understand your dislike of categorizing people into broad types. The problem with doing this (in my view) is that we might be tempted to think our particular "type" completely explains every facet of our personality and even, in some cases, use it as an excuse for bad behavior. It can become a crutch (as in "Well, I'm an introvert. It's normal for me to not want to spend time with so-and-so. I'll just ignore them - no need to attempt to be nice about it or try to provide an explanation.)

However, I must say that since I've been reading about introversion in general and talking to other INTJ's online it has helped me realize that I'm not as weird as I thought I was. Although I have always been content when alone and in the company of a very select few others, dealing with unpredictable social situations, social gatherings etc has been the source of quite a bit of stress. Knowing that I am not unique in my experience has been a small revelation. I have only come to fully accept who I am very recently. Much of that has been due to the plethora of information on the internet and I do believe that these Meyers-Briggs categorizations, although by nature imperfect, have helped too.

I know that because we are all unique we are all, in a sense, minorities, but it has felt to me that my personality type has placed me so far from the accepted norm in society, it's reassuring to know I'm not a complete nutjob.

I will, however, accept the title of "partial nutjob"

Old 08-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
As an introvert, I don't understand the whole social media/exhibitionist craze. I can't figure out why people have such an overwhelming need to talk all the time on their cell phones and in public places where everyone can overhear the conversation. I don't "get" Facebook or the explosion of personal blogs where people trump out all their personal information, photos, and excruciatingly boring details of their daily lives. Are there any introverts that enjoy this kind of stuff?
Not me. I have no cell phone and no interest in Facebook (I tried it for a week and had that hilarious Betty White response in her SNL monologue where she said she thought FB was a "huge waste of time").
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I think any self-proclaimed introvert with more than about 10 posts on this forum is not an introvert.
That question is not on the MB test.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
Sounds like you don't believe in the notion of classifying people into types, though, which is fine. I do think the notion of traits and types is useful in understanding ourselves and others. Personally, learning that I was an introvert and understanding the advantages/disadvantages of that helped me to become much more self-accepting (for instance, to stop struggling with myself to become more extroverted)....

No, introverts often enjoy expressing themselves in writing. You can do it at your own pace; there is no pressure to keep the conversation moving. You can consider and edit your words before you send them out. You can pick and choose who you are going to respond to. You can type out your thoughts without worrying what you look like (I'm in my jammies right now). You can stop whenever you want and just walk away, without having to figure out how to detach yourself. The other person can't drag you into a longer discussion if you don't want it to happen. You don't have to listen to (read) people if you don't want to. There's a distance and simplicity to it -- it's not like face to face conversation, with all of its inputs and distractions. You can just focus on what you want to say....

It's easier to take stands than it would be in person? No, not really. I'm pretty direct in person and don't have a problem taking stands. It's more about the factors I mentioned above, imo. Although, those factors do make it easier to express myself, so in a way, I think there is some truth to what you're saying.
Extremely well said. Couldn't agree more. And I also thought "Quiet" was a very good book.

I've found introverts give a lot more thought to extroverts than vice versa. When you're living in a culture that promotes extroversion, as the U.S. does, it's easy to perceive extroversion as normal and introversion as an unhealthy variation.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #106
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, that shows how effective the MBTI instrument is...I test as ENFP

And definitely agree about the "crutch" part. I honestly think that is the basis for the MBTI's economic success...some will pay for the privilege of simply owning who they were all along.

My opinions and views often (though far from always) differ from the crowd's, and that is part of who I am. That some others see that as "weird" is just a fact; no labeling system will change them, or make me feel better or worse about myself.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Then you must be an INTJ

Just kidding.....I do understand your dislike of categorizing people into broad types. The problem with doing this (in my view) is that we might be tempted to think our particular "type" completely explains every facet of our personality and even, in some cases, use it as an excuse for bad behavior. It can become a crutch (as in "Well, I'm an introvert. It's normal for me to not want to spend time with so-and-so. I'll just ignore them - no need to attempt to be nice about it or try to provide an explanation.)

However, I must say that since I've been reading about introversion in general and talking to other INTJ's online it has helped me realize that I'm not as weird as I thought I was. Although I have always been content when alone and in the company of a very select few others, dealing with unpredictable social situations, social gatherings etc has been the source of quite a bit of stress. Knowing that I am not unique in my experience has been a small revelation. I have only come to fully accept who I am very recently. Much of that has been due to the plethora of information on the internet and I do believe that these Meyers-Briggs categorizations, although by nature imperfect, have helped too.

I know that because we are all unique we are all, in a sense, minorities, but it has felt to me that my personality type has placed me so far from the accepted norm in society, it's reassuring to know I'm not a complete nutjob.

I will, however, accept the title of "partial nutjob"
Old 08-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #107

Quote:
Well, that shows how effective the MBTI instrument is...I test as ENFP
Amethyst
I wasn't seriously trying to place your Meyers-Brigg type - just making a joke (but I think you knew that).
Old 08-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #108

Quote:
Are there any introverts that enjoy this kind of stuff?
I have more than 10 posts on this board, and I thoroughly enjoy Facebook, etc. It's because I can turn it off at will, and no one says "oh, are you leaving already? Do you have to go so soon?"

I am grateful I live in the age of the Internet & Social Media, or I'd be very, very isolated, which I crave the majority of the time. But not 100%. I just can't take much face to face socializing, particularly with people I'm not REALLY close with.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #109

I think I'm a "situational" extrovert. Most of the time, I prefer to avoid crowds or parties but when I am out in a crowd, I find it pretty easy to engage in conversation with people. My wife is a total introvert but finds it amusing (most of the time, lol) when I end up in long conversations with strangers in stores or parking lots.

Probably a result of my work life, it required a lot of interaction with many people in various capacities but for my personal life, I'm happy to keep it pretty low key.

BTW, I scored as an ESTJ on the Meyer's Briggs tests when taken during my working career.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin&hopin View Post
Extremely well said. Couldn't agree more. And I also thought "Quiet" was a very good book.

I've found introverts give a lot more thought to extroverts than vice versa. When you're living in a culture that promotes extroversion, as the U.S. does, it's easy to perceive extroversion as normal and introversion as an unhealthy variation.
I'll have to check out Quiet. I've read probably 4 different books on introversion at this point, so I'm a little saturated, but Quiet seems to be getting a lot of good press.

What you reference in your second paragraph -- that's why I've found reading about introversion helpful. Our culture has, by and large, been built by extroverts. Extroverts run most of the companies, extroverts are in most positions of power, extroverts talk the most and have the loudest voices, extroverts outnumber introverts about 3 to 1. America is a very extroverted culture. You see it reflected everywhere (in most media, for instance). Understanding introversion has been helpful in adapting to that -- it has also helped me understand extroverts better (as well extroverts' reactions to introverts ... and my reaction to them, as an innie).

By the way, for those who are wondering about the OP question, you don't have to deal with taking the whole Myers Briggs. There are plenty of briefer instruments that just measure introversion vs. extroversion, without all the other stuff. A lot quicker and easier. For example:

Quiz: are you an introvert? | Science | The Guardian

I maxed that one out. You can google around if you don't like that one. There are a bunch of them out there.

I also came across this nice summary of 6 misunderstandings about introverts (based on Cain's book, I think):

6 Things You Thought Wrong About Introverts

For the link-averse:

1. Introverts are shy, and the shy are introverts.
2. Introverts don't like to be around people.
3. Introverts don't make good leaders or speakers.
4. Introverts have more negative personalities.
5. Introverts are more intellectual or creative.
6. It's easy to tell whether someone is introverted or extroverted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
I am grateful I live in the age of the Internet & Social Media, or I'd be very, very isolated, which I crave the majority of the time. But not 100%. I just can't take much face to face socializing, particularly with people I'm not REALLY close with.
Me, too. The internet has been a social godsend for me. A huge waste of time as well, lol.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
I have more than 10 posts on this board, and I thoroughly enjoy Facebook, etc. It's because I can turn it off at will, and no one says "oh, are you leaving already? Do you have to go so soon?"

+1
Old 08-18-2013, 01:21 AM   #112

Who would of thought that a bunch of introverts would enjoy comparing notes ABOUT their introversion so much?

Somehow it seems contradictory.

Things that make you go "Huh?"
Old 08-18-2013, 05:23 AM   #113
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Who would of thought that a bunch of introverts would enjoy comparing notes ABOUT their introversion so much?

As has been said before, it is because posting on forums suits introverts' communication style.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #114

Quote:

That's pretty funny! For me, at least, it is re-affirming to know I'm not the only one with these kinds of character traits. I have a friend (a fellow introvert) who used to post frequent memes and affirmations on my Facebook timeline about introversion. It used to make me cringe a little. I don't remember now, but I think I must have said something, as he stopped doing it. It seemed just a little too demonstrative. Even here, in a relatively anonymous forum, I occasionally think that we should get back to investing talk but I must say that it is of value to me.

Apologies to the extroverts but you guys don't really need any affirmations - society's codes of conduct were largely written in your favor.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #115

Quote:

In addition to the 'net communication aspect, there is something else going on.

Part of being an introvert is being interested in your own thinking, feeling, etc. -- your inner life. So it makes sense to me that "innies" would jump at the opportunity to discuss the topic, in a forum where most of the talk is usually about externals.

Innies can spend a long time thinking or talking about their interior life. Outies (extroverts) tend to find that boring and want to get on to the next activity.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #116

this poll may have missed many persons 1st choice. "both" Like many others I'm some of both.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #117
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think I am an ambivert, too.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #118
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
There are plenty of briefer instruments that just measure introversion vs. extroversion, without all the other stuff. A lot quicker and easier. For example:

Quiz: are you an introvert? | Science | The Guardian

I maxed that one out.
I got close to the max too. Of particular interest to early-retirement.org members is this item in the quiz:

4. I seem to care less than my peers about wealth, fame and status.

That's crucial to achieving FI and the LBYM strategy, which indicates why so many of us here are introverts.

There's no doubt the Intranet is a natural for introverts -- that's why some jokingly call it the Intronet. But I'd argue that, ironically, it's made us into virtual extroverts. Although the Web considerably expands our connections with those who share similar interests, those connections are shallower and more tenuous. We've paid a price in the considerable diminution of deeper one-to-one social interactions.

From "Revenge of the Introvert" article in Psychology Today:

Quote:
According to the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator personality test administered to two randomized national samples, introverts make up 50 percent of the U.S. population. The MBTI definition of introversion—a preference for solitude, reflection, internal exploration of ideas vs. active engagement and pursuit of rewards in the external/social world—correlates closely with the Big Five description. But the results still surprise; if every other person is an introvert, why doesn't the cultural tone reflect that?

It's not just that we overestimate the numbers of extraverts in our midst because they're more salient. The bias of individuals is reinforced in the media, which emphasize the visual, the talkative, and the sound bite— immediacy over reflection.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #119

This thread is very interesting. I've learned a lot about forum members by reading the posts. I am astounded that there are so many introverts here.
I said I was an extrovert and that's true but I don't post a lot on the forum while introverts seem to post non-stop. I enjoy reading the posts and will comment when I think I can offer help, but when others are already saying what I would say, then I don't come in and repeat those thoughts.
I am ESTJ and I can say that all of the traits seem to fit me well. I haven't seen anyone else say this one, so public forum participation must not be one of the hobbies for ESTJs.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #120

Wow, 90/10 right now. I expected more I's, but that's really high.

My daughter recommended the book "Introvert Power". Wish I had read it 40 years ago. I see there are others mentioned above.