Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Are you an Introvert or an Extrovert?
Introvert 196 91.16%
Extrovert 19 8.84%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Poll:Are you an Introvert or an Extrovert
Old 08-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Poll:Are you an Introvert or an Extrovert

Am reading a great book called Quiet. It is all about the many strengths of introverts. It has caused me to wonder if this board leans one direction or the other.

Please post on what advantages you feel your intro/extroversion has given you in pursuing FIRE.

I will hazard a guess that we have an abnormally high percentage of introverts.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #2

I think my introversion has given me the advantage of being better able to make and stick with long term plans. Also, less likely to be spooked by market swings.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Maybe you checked this out already...Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community - View Poll Results. 88% introverts altogether based on Briggs-Myers...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm an extrovert, DW is the introvert. Extrovert has helped me earn a good income, DW introvert has kept me from blowing it all.
aim-high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Maybe you checked this out already...Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community - View Poll Results. 88% introverts altogether based on Briggs-Myers...
Wow! ISTJ and INTJ. That's some serious introversion / thinking / judging going on here. It's way outside the normal distribution. (Normally only 6% and 2%, respectively.) It looks like an ER type has been identified.

I'm an ENTP / ENFP (depending on the day.)

Sorry, couldn't resist the dance, it's built into my type.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #6

Introvert with Tourette's. I'm real quiet until I blurt out whole (often erroneous or inappropriate) sentences that make me seem more outgoing than I really am.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That poll indicates more than 80% of the responders had personality types beginning with I (introverted). My guess is so few E (extroverted) types responded because they were too busy selling annuities, entering karaoke contests or campaigning for office...
Old 08-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Decided to check it out... here is the breakdown... by number and then percent....

E 20 12.3%
I 142 87.7%

N 93 57.4%
S 69 42.6%

F 22 13.6%
T 140 86.4%

J 121 74.7%
P 41 25.3%
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Been a while since I ran across my M-B file, but I recall being (more or less) off the scale I. Most friends don't buy it as I can be the life of the party (without lubrication). However, that's only in a group I am supremely comfortable with. By nature, I'm more of a wallflower. Still, in the right circumstances, I can come out of my shell and seem very different. I really like extroverts and I envy them in many ways. Still, I have found them to be less reliable as a friend, though much more fun at parties, etc. Just observation and not intended as criticism. (We are who we are.) YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Can someone help a brother out? I'm the only E in this poll so far.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #11

I think the saying, "extroverts are energized by people; introverts are drained by people" is true. By that standard I am more an introvert than an extrovert. For example, I like a good party but am usually ready to leave after only an hour or so. . .
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I am an introvert (extremely INTJ) who had to learn extroverted behaviors for work. I don't like acting that way, but I can. I use that capability whenever it is advantageous to me.

I don't need it nearly as much now that I am retired. Just walking in the door for a party is a minor form of torture for me, so when possible I beg off. When it is not possible, I just deal with it and leaving is a big relief.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim-high View Post
It's way outside the normal...
And your point is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
For example, I like a good party but am usually ready to leave after only an hour or so. . .
My limit these days is about two hours, whether party, concert, movie. Would be slightly longer if venues had a Laz-E-Boy section...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Can someone help a brother out? I'm the only E in this poll so far.
I have extrovert friends

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
And your point is?
My point was made right after the comment . . .

Quote:
It's way outside the normal distribution. (Normally only 6% and 2%, respectively.) It looks like an ER type has been identified.
If there were no correlation one would expect the distribution of a sample this size to approximate a normal distribution of MBTIs. Given that those two types have an outsized representation, it's not a stretch to draw the conclusion that those two types are more likely to aim for ER, or at least more likely to be interested in ER and post their type on a forum.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I have noticed that our extrovert neighbors seem to spend more on cars, home upgrades, clothes, publicized donations, i.e. - things to impress other people.

But all that money isn't going towards FI and future income generation. It is probably easier to save money if you don't give a rat's a** what other people think.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #17

Quote:
It looks like an ER type has been identified.

I think its been done before. See John Greaneys site ( sort of the prototype ER )

Is There a Retire Early Personality Type?
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
And your point is?
Quote:
My point was made right after the comment...
That was an attempt at humor... Having been here for a while, "normal" here is not normal in the "real world".

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

DW and I are both introverts. DW can force herself to look somewhat extroverted when absolutely necessary (for work mostly), but I can't. Our introversion was a motivating force on our FIRE quest, as FI gives us the freedom to be as introverted as we want to be.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
DW and I are both introverts. DW can force herself to look somewhat extroverted when absolutely necessary (for work mostly), but I can't. Our introversion was a motivating force on our FIRE quest, as FI gives us the freedom to be as introverted as we want to be.
How does that affect communication at home? If you have children, are they introverted? I would imagine that growing up with two introverted parents could lead to introversion in the children.
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote